none
BING MAPS INVALID CREDENTIALS

Question

• Hi everyone. My name is Samuel and i'm a student part of an internship with Microsoft PR. I have to build an application that use Bing Maps. The first stage of the app is that it have to allow me to "click" on a specific location and save it in a list so I can search for it later. I'm thinking to save the lat. and lon. into the isolated storage BUT, when I run the app in the emulator it comes with the message "Invalid Credentials, Please Sign up as Developer Account". I have a developer account and I have the key already and I wrote it at the .xmal as you can see in the following example:

<my:Map CredentialsProvider="dc59d3eb-8d3c-4721-933c-4c4265d8****"  Height="524" Width="429" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="14,263,0,0" Name="mapSaveLocations"  VerticalAlignment="Top" />

Why I keep receiving the same message? Can I still access to all the features of this control even with that message at the front of the map? What i'm doing wrong?? Any workaround??

I will really appreciate your answers.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:20 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

I just registered for an Bing Maps API and started getting this message. I originally generated a key using the following details

• Application Name: Test
    • Application URL: http://localhost
    • Application Type: Evaluation/Trial

I was getting this message and decided to go back in to the Bing Maps Centre/Portal and generate a new key. However, this time I used the following details:

• Application Name: Test2
    • Application Type: Metro Style Apps (Beta)

The next time I ran my application in my development environment the message no longer appeared!

Hope this help/works for you.

Seán

Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Samuel, your credentialsprovider looks like a guid and not like the 'key' that I was given and use. In any case please do not post your' key' here in case any unscrupulous people get a hold of it :O

My key for example is something like 'Ab72djshdjhHHj_hjdhsj77368jduiwnT0dhhd899dk' (obviously not the real one!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:10 AM
  • Hi Xpert and thank you for your fast reply. I think that this is the key because is exactly beside the "key" field at my BingMapsPortal account. Here I show you:

My Bing Maps Key

I marked in yellow the last part of the key to protect myself as well as I already edited my original post. Thanks for that advice. Now as you can see, that IS the correct key or i'm wrong? What i'm missing here?!?! 

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I have no experience using Bingmaps key for a public mobile app... I can only suggest trying your app is working with an 'Evaluation/Trial' key? I'm guessing the answer is 'yes'.

My experience with mobile is exactly the same as this blog article: http://mobile.dzone.com/articles/windows-phone-mango-sample

I wish I could be of more assistance but I cannot see anything out there similar to your problem.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Many thanks for been willing to help. I know exactly what you are talking about when you mention the Evaluation/Trial key. The problem is that it wont allow me to create a new key (unless it would be for "metro style" developing) and when I try to modify my current key, it just wont show the "Evaluation/Trial" option. It shows every single option but that one :( damn!! I will still searching for a workaround but this is starting to s... Many thanks Xpert.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Any more help anybody??? Cry

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:39 PM
  • I am using valid bing map key in my application. But i am still getting 'Invalid credentials' error message sometimes.

Please help me to resolve this problem.

Monday, April 02, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Another user with the same problem. Microsoft is actually even trying to solve this issue?? I have seen countless of people with the same problem and no solution at all!!!!

Monday, April 02, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Another more with this problem, im triyng to solve but i dont find anything

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hi all,

I just registered for an Bing Maps API and started getting this message. I originally generated a key using the following details

• Application Name: Test
    • Application Type: Evaluation/Trial

I was getting this message and decided to go back in to the Bing Maps Centre/Portal and generate a new key. However, this time I used the following details:

• Application Name: Test2
    • Application Type: Metro Style Apps (Beta)

The next time I ran my application in my development environment the message no longer appeared!

Hope this help/works for you.

Seán

Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Hi Seany84,

Great that it works !!! please test your application on physical device by deploying the app in release mode.

1. Run your application.

2. Use Bing Map functionality. Add 4-5 markers on the map.

3. Close your application.

4. Repeat the steps for 4-5 times and check if you get the error.

Please respond back with your test results.

This is my observation that we get 'Invalid credentials' error when we run/use the application for 4-5 times.

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:32 AM
  • This resolved the issue and I really appreciate your fast reply Seany84 but this is more like a workaround and Bing Maps control still sucking. Thanks very much though.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Hi Seany84,

Great that it works !!! please test your application on physical device by deploying the app in release mode.

1. Run your application.

2. Use Bing Map functionality. Add 4-5 markers on the map.

3. Close your application.

4. Repeat the steps for 4-5 times and check if you get the error.

Please respond back with your test results.

This is my observation that we get 'Invalid credentials' error when we run/use the application for 4-5 times.

Pay attention of the licence for your app!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:09 AM
  • First how you got that "Metro Style Apps(Beta)"? That option is not available. 

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:51 AM