Promoting Silverlight Games

Question

• So I spent months developing a silverlight chess game:

http://www.geekswithchess.com

Now I need to somehow promote it and get people to play.  There are tons of flash game sites, but not so many silverlight ones.  Futhermore my game requires WCF service so I can't even upload the Silverlight file to the few sites that accept them.

Any ideas on how I can promote my silverlight game?

Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Submit it at Gamejolt.com and silverlightclub.com too.

There is also Silverlight showcase where you can submit your game:

Silverlight.net showcase

Silverlight.net/community/gallery

silverlightshow.net/showcase

Also: 

Announce your game on game development forums, chess forum or any forum that could be interest in your game.

Make a video on youtube to showcase the game and get some traffic that way. Gametrailers.com also accepts video trailers from indie dev.

Use sites like reddit and stumbleupon.

Talk about it on your facebook page or whatever social networking service you might use.

Make money(pennies) by placing an advertisement on your site using ProjectWonderful and use that money to finance your advertisement compaign.

There's probably thousands of other tricks to get traffic to your site, good luck!

Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Thank you both for giving me your suggestions.  I added my game to reddit, stumbleupon, both the silverlight showcases. 

I was unable to upload my game to Gamejolt.com since my game won't work on a different domain for security reasons (My WCF Services won't support cross domain calls)

I have already added announcments on various forums, but I will keep working on it.

Are there any other silverlight forums you guys are aware of?

Adam Berent

www.chessbin.com

Friday, July 24, 2009 7:59 AM
  •  Just to say that your chess game is well done and you even paid attention to a lot of details :) Great job !

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Thank you so much :)

It is frustrating though, having spent so much time developing the game, and now having to spend even more time to promote it with less than great results.  After all how many programmers have marketing degrees :)

Thursday, October 08, 2009 11:27 AM
  •  I can understand your point of view unhappinessly :(. I already did some web site, which i was proud about, but without any visibility :/

I think you need to mark your website link on a lot of forum, you can put it in your signature too, mark as well your chess page for google ( As silverlight is hard for robot to be known, but they exists some website explaining how to do it nicely  : http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2009/03/25/silverlight-3-and-seo.aspx ), give it some publicity over other game web site, subscribe for silverlight game events etc .., and still, it will be hard :( .

I think we all need more marketing informations for this kind of stuff, as without it a lot of work wont be seen by as many people as it could be :p.

But still good luck :)

Friday, October 09, 2009 4:11 PM
  • We're currently looking for game / app developers to try their apps out on our web desktop platform Sharetops (http://www.sharetops.com/Developers.aspx). With regards to promotion we can a) Add your game to our Widgets list that users have access to and b) Include your game as a default icon on new users desktops. It must be stable inside our desktop system however.

We have provided a small API that you can use to access information about the users that use your app. By the way, your app should work from any domain with your WCF service as long as you host a crossdomain.xml or clientaccesspolicy.xml file on the same server as your web services. However, this does open up your web services to others, so you may want to do something to protect them, using some kind of secret App key for example.

Almost forgot, you can take a quick look at a Silverlight arcade game running insde Sharetops at http://www.sharetops.com/Desktop.aspx?Spud. Double click the Battleballz Game icon thats located on the desktop

Monday, October 12, 2009 10:06 AM
  •  Easy and best way to pomote is making relevant link building, this strategy really helpful for promotion.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Once the Silverlight SDK is released for the Windows Phone 7 next week, I would bet that the Windows Marketplace will become a huge way for people to promote their applications.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:32 AM
  • I have been doing just that, and have some good results, but its hard work and not as easy as lets say promoting a flash game that you can submit to a 100 sites in a week.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:32 AM