none
VS 2010 and Silverlight are complete crap

Question

• While trying to develop a silverlight 4 control using VS 2010 my development environment crashes as least 10 times/hour, making any development impossible. Also, once I do end up getting a control working they randomly start throwing the following error: "Invalid or malformed application: Check manifest" after absolutely 0 changes have been made. It runs fine, then I run it again and I get this error. There is no solution as far as I can tell and I have had to actuall start entirely new projects at least 5 times now. This is the most unstable, frustrating piece of crap I have ever worked with and will NEVER use silverlight again. Why release something when it is in such an unstable state???

• Moved by mbanavige Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:11 PM Migration data
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• I have been using SL4 and VS2010 for over 12 months and have had no problem with it, this is my day job and I use this environment all the time.

What other applications are you running on the machine ?

Can you rebuild the machine ?

Does task manager show, low memory, low disk space, excessive disk activity ?

Run Memtest86 and checkdisk/defrag etc.

Are any of the files you are working with accessed over the network, try and use local copies.

Are you using 3rd party controls/libraries, can you try and remove the dependancy.

what if you create a new solution ?

Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:27 AM

All replies

• I have been using SL4 and VS2010 for over 12 months and have had no problem with it, this is my day job and I use this environment all the time.

What other applications are you running on the machine ?

Can you rebuild the machine ?

Does task manager show, low memory, low disk space, excessive disk activity ?

Run Memtest86 and checkdisk/defrag etc.

Are any of the files you are working with accessed over the network, try and use local copies.

Are you using 3rd party controls/libraries, can you try and remove the dependancy.

what if you create a new solution ?

Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:27 AM
  • I agree with metal.  I've been using VS2010 since the Beta release with no issues (after RTM).   Does this only occur with Silverlight projects or all projects in Visual Studio?  Is there a pattern on when this issue occurs? 

Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Yeah... Calm your self down and look for the crap somewhere else. No software that buggy could be this successfull. Big chances are you have some corrupted installation of something messing with your PC.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:51 AM
  • No issues what so ever with me too. Probably an installation problem

Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:54 AM
  • A few things you may want to consider to stabilize the IDE:

1. Try running "devenv.exe /safemode" to open up the IDE with no plug-ins; this will tell you if the crash is being caused by a plug-in or the IDE itself.  If things appear stable then disable all plug-ins and add them back one at a time.

2. Exclude the devenv.exe process and the folder containing your source files from your real-time anti-virus scanner; this is more about performance than stability, but you will gain some I/O performance back

You will also want to ensure that you are running Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1. One thing I do 2-3 times a year is format my machine and start over fresh.  As a developer I find between the beta product and things I play with for a while that I can destabilize my system after a few months and/or slow it down.  If you are having severe stability issues (which it sounds like you are by the frustration in your post) you might want to consider rebuilding your dev machine.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Okay so it works great for like 6 people. Just google "buggy vs 2010" and you will see it is not just me. Reinstall? Format my hard drive? Really???? Never had to do that with vs 2008, 2005, or even InterDev for that matter and that is not an acceptable solution. I've been working with VS for YEARS and have never worked with a more buggy product. To the few people that it does work great for, that is awesome. I'm not one of them however.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:55 PM
  • been doing VS2010 and Silverlight for the last 4 years. I have installed VS2010 & SL on multiple workstations through different companies and developer groups, no problem what so ever. The apps I build are huge as well.

But as Einstein put it, we're living in a relatively world, so the posibilities are out there and you may have experienced the different outcome. This is something not easily solve over the intarnet. I wish you're close to me so I'll love to help you resolve the issue so that you can enjoy doing Silverlight development.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Okay so it works great for like 6 people. Just google "buggy vs 2010" and you will see it is not just me. Reinstall? Format my hard drive? Really???? Never had to do that with vs 2008, 2005, or even InterDev for that matter and that is not an acceptable solution. I've been working with VS for YEARS and have never worked with a more buggy product. To the few people that it does work great for, that is awesome. I'm not one of them however.

Stop feeding the troll!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I agree with jfkrueger.

I have been using Microsoft's Assmebler/Compiler since the days that you were lucky if you had two 360 floppy drives instead of one.

VS2010, by far, is the worst IDE ever put forth by Microsoft. I have a very strong suspicion that the .NET pseudo-engineers at Microsoft [you know how you are, BTW] managed (no pun intended) to infest the team that works on Visual Studio, and rewrote chunks of Visual Studio 2010 in .NET-like languages. Mind you, there is nothing inherently wrong with writing something in .NET. The problem, which I haven been saying for over a decade, is that, implicit in that statement are certain other un-ignorable facts, such as the one that, often times those who are drawn to the promises of .NET are precisely those who are offended by the fundamental complexities of software development. [Note here that I use the word complexity to refer to the beautiful kind, not the man-made kind.] Why is this fact important? Well, the first time you have a situation where you really do need multi-threading, and the equivalent of WaitForMultipleObjects, the .NET script kiddies' brains start to turn to mush. They have meeting, after meeting, after meeting, discussing the same old bug, which I have now - "How can we get the build in the IDE to stop hanging after user hits cancels." Seasoned pro's [real pro's] look at WaitForMulipleObjects and think, "Pfff! I know what to do in this situation, even if there are 20 synchro objects involved." Other "engineers" look at WaitForMultipleObjects and think, "Wow. Looks complicated. Don't think I will use that. There's got to be a simpler way." They say this, not realizing that WaitForMultipleObjects  IS FUNDAMENTAL. The result? My virgin VS2010 installation, barely installed for a week, is locking up and dishonoring build dependencies, etc. And please don't start with me about my machine configuration. I keep a clean machine. This version of Visual Studio SUCKS, and I find it somewhat disingenous of some on this thread to pretend otherwise, when there is an enormous outcry all over the Web about its flakiness!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:21 PM
  • when did it become acceptable that 'rebuild the machine' is the solution?
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:08 PM
  • I agree - vs2010 and the mfc implementation are so fully bugged that microsoft was working to abandon them, as well as Win7, even as they were releasing them.  NOTHING in the MFC 'feature pack' works exactly correctly.  The resource editor is a laughable.  For instance, right now the main menu of a prototype app is just plain gone and irretrievable.  Somewhere deep in the bowels of come context manager, some registry setting is glitched.  It is ridiculous.
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:19 PM
  • when did it become acceptable that 'rebuild the machine' is the solution?
    Right? This is what M$ has become.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:31 PM