none
Silverlight 3 - White Screen (Of Death)

Question

• Hello, 

I need your creativity and experience for troubleshooting an issue with Silverlight 3. I don’t have any more idea as I already tried. Maybe some of you have experience with the same problem and can give me useful tips.

This scenario is present:

I have a Silverlight 3 application which uses WCF Services to access data. My customers don’t have problem to use this Silverlight App in their company intranet to administer the web-application. The application is using WCF for CRUD operations.

Now, a new customer can’t use this app. The Silverlight application hosting ASPX-Page loads fine, also and the plugin instantiate correctly (a mouse right click shows the Silverlight Plugin-Properties) but instead of my app is a blank - “white screen”. This screen appears without Silverlight-Loader, Javascript error or other error messages. Do you have an idea what happen?

I tried several solutions to fix this. As first I checked the IIS header mime-type. I change this from “.xap application/x-silverlight-app” to “”.xap application/octet-stream” and back. No changes. The Second, I tried, was to clean up the HTML page. I removed all CSS definitions and used only on div tag in the asp.net form tag definition. Also no changes. My customer used a different browser as the IE8 and also in Firefox same issue. Firwall and Virus Scanner are don’t affect to Silverlight application and also other simple Silverlight applications can be used by my customer but not complex applications with use of services.

- What are potential causes of a "White Screen" in Silverlight?

- How could we proceed in order to eliminate potential causes one by one?

- Who else had this problem – and found a solution?

- What is the advantage of a signed assembly in Silverlight? Might this be of use here?

Thank you very much for your help and comments . 

regards,

Michel 

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Mengoo,

Do you have some static content?  For example, a Button etc?  If your application deployed and can accessed by some of the users, it should be ok with your IIS settings. We'd better focus on the client computers.  The easier way is to use Fiddler or other http request tools to get the differences between the working computer and unworking computer.  Please share it with us if you have found something valuable.

Best regards,

Jonathan 

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:30 AM
  • The best thing to check is if the xap is being downloaded and loaded by the Silverlight plugin. A simple way to verify this is add a message box in the ApplicationStartup code to verify if the application indeed has loaded.

Regards, 

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• Some browsers will not render the silverlight app if you give the silverlight an height and width in % instead of px 

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Hi Ken, 

This is a part of the ASPX Host Site

<table id="cTbl" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0" style="background-color: White">
    <tr>
    <td height="400" width="10">
    &nbsp;
    </td>
    <!-- treeView-place -->
    <td valign="top" rowspan="2" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;">
    <!-- #################################### CONTENT START ##################################### -->
    <span id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_QE_parent"></span>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<![CDATA[
    Sys.UI.Silverlight.Control.createObject('ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_QE_parent', '\u003cobject type="application/x-silverlight" id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_QE" style="border-width:0px;height:700px;width:950px;">\r\n\t\u003cparam name="InitParams" value="P=eNrFXMtuG0myBaj5EK4G3cC....Pv70zRt30yMHGdHkNdXfy0FA/D/AwRlcHM=">\r\n\r\n\t\u003c/param>\u003ca href="https://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=141884&amp;v=1.0">\u003cimg src="https://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=108181" alt="Get Microsoft Silverlight Plugin" style="border-width:0;" />\u003c/a>\r\n\u003c/object>');
    //]]>
    </script>
    <!-- #################################### CONTENT END ##################################### -->
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    &nbsp;
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

I've shorted the params and copied just the content page where the silverlight app runs (normally). Other customers and I can see the application running but not the new customer. 

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Hi Mengoo,

Do you have some static content?  For example, a Button etc?  If your application deployed and can accessed by some of the users, it should be ok with your IIS settings. We'd better focus on the client computers.  The easier way is to use Fiddler or other http request tools to get the differences between the working computer and unworking computer.  Please share it with us if you have found something valuable.

Best regards,

Jonathan 

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:30 AM
  • The best thing to check is if the xap is being downloaded and loaded by the Silverlight plugin. A simple way to verify this is add a message box in the ApplicationStartup code to verify if the application indeed has loaded.

Regards, 

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:50 PM