none
Godaddy Server Error in application

Question

• I've been at this sample all day, I've yet to find a real step by step on anything, not even a where folders should be location on the hosted sever. I'm using godaddy.

My error,

Server Error in '/pivot' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CollectionFactories' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: web.config    Line: 60

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CollectionFactories' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4049

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:52 PM

Answers

• You need to upgrade the .Net Framework on the server to 4.0. If GoDaddy is any good, they will give you the opportunity to do this in their control panel.

However, be warned. You may then have an inaccessible web site until you comment out some lines in your old web.config file (which you will learn about when you try to access your site's home page)  or go to a very simple web.config file.  The reason for this is, as best I can tell, that switching to .Net Framework 4, put things that were in an older web.config into the machine.config while leaving them in the we.config--hence the duplications. 

Here is a link to information about a .Net 4 web.config http://heathesh.com/post/2010/05/05/ASPNet-4-WebConfig-Changes.aspx It appears that you need basically nothing in a .Net 4.0 web.config

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi.

This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

It looks as if the server doesn't have the required .NET Framework version. Can you check that?

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:13 AM
  • You need to upgrade the .Net Framework on the server to 4.0. If GoDaddy is any good, they will give you the opportunity to do this in their control panel.

However, be warned. You may then have an inaccessible web site until you comment out some lines in your old web.config file (which you will learn about when you try to access your site's home page)  or go to a very simple web.config file.  The reason for this is, as best I can tell, that switching to .Net Framework 4, put things that were in an older web.config into the machine.config while leaving them in the we.config--hence the duplications. 

Here is a link to information about a .Net 4 web.config http://heathesh.com/post/2010/05/05/ASPNet-4-WebConfig-Changes.aspx It appears that you need basically nothing in a .Net 4.0 web.config

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:39 PM
  • After VS2010 deleted all of my websites and subsites due to FTP overwriting my subdomain folder request, I've spent the $150 from godaddy to recover my sites and start this stupid project of pivot/silverlight over.

However, I've learned Godaddy does not support .net 4.0 and will not give out an ETA. Aplus.net doesn't support .net 4.0 either.

Options of a shared host that does support .net 4.0?

Azure still free? 

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Godaddy is a disgrace! 

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:45 AM