none
No motion path

Question

• I'm using Blend 2 September Preview and there isn't an option to create a motion path for Silverlight applications.  Is this going to be available in the final?  Is there a work around?

Thanks,
    Brett

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

• I am not sure what you mean, have you tried creating a new Timeline (e.g. Storyboard) in the "Objects and Timelines" Panel?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Yes - you need a timeline to use a motion path.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:55 PM
  • It has also been my experience that the "Convert to Motion Path" option under Object/Path is not available, with or without a timeline/storyboard present in the project. 

If somebody is able to create them with Blend, it would be useful if you could post specific instructions on how to do it....

Seems very unusual to me that this option wouldn't be available in a Javascript application...

Jeff 

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:28 PM
  • I really need to be able to create a motion path in a Silverlight Javascript application that I am designing. There must be a way!

Monday, September 24, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Sorry but Silverlight doesn't support path animations...at the moment.  If you try to insert a DoubleAnimationUsingPath tag inside a storyboard, you'll get a runtime error.

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:25 PM
  • then in aplications like tafiti how do they achieve the effect when you change the type of search (images, feeds etc)... seems pretty round to me... or is it patience to put lots of keyframes and simulate the effect? http://www.tafiti.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:45 AM
  • then in aplications like tafiti how do they achieve the effect when you change the type of search (images, feeds etc)... seems pretty round to me... or is it patience to put lots of keyframes and simulate the effect? http://www.tafiti.com

In the example you are referring to, most likely someone took the time to program each keyframe. They are using a very short time for each motion, so you could achieve the same results in only a few keyframes.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:24 PM
  • The convert to motion path is only available in WPF applications and not currently for Silverlight applications.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  

Well how crap is that!! I thought all these "advanced technologies" where supposed to be based off the same framework? If it's available in WPF, why not Silverlight?

Another MS "feature"!!!!

Saturday, February 02, 2008 12:19 PM
  • WPF and Silverlight are using a common language for markup, not based on the same technology (e.g. the .NET 3.0/3.5 framework is about 30 MB in size versus the 4 MB runtime of Silverlight...some features not only aren't included but might never be ported. Sorry you're so angry.

Saturday, February 02, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Right now there is no motion path animation is availlable right now is Silver light..

"If this answer helps you then mark it answered"

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Motion path works only in WPF Applications(.exe), it doesn't work in Silverlight Application (Javascript).

In September Preview you can atleast see the Motion Path option been grayed out/disabled in Javascript application, but in Decemeber Preview the Motion Path option is totally removed for Path menu of Javascript application. Whereas the motion path works perfect in WPF application. Check it out.

Arun Solomon P
    PCI, Hyderabad

Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Yes, its sad that animation paths are not supported. Same with 3D. The problem is, that other technologies do support such things with a comparable plugin-size :-(

Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:16 AM
  • I haven't tried this soln but looks likes workaround for lack of path animation in silverlight:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jaimer/archive/2007/06/20/using-blend-to-creating-motion-path-animations-for-silverlight.aspx 

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Monday, November 10, 2008 12:16 PM
  • In some cases, we do not have to use the motion path to finish our own-defined motion. Let say when we have to do a circular motion, we can simply calculate it out using some parameter and knowledge of PureMathematics. Maths and Computer Programming are closely related.

eg. http://silverlight.net/forums/t/45244.aspx

Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:59 AM