none
Silverlight and ASP.NEt

Question

• Dear all,

I am totlay a newbie in silverlight and I am actually trying to understand when to use it and why . Ye sI know it is a huge question.

The reason I am asking this is simply beacause I am using asp.net time to time for building simple web site and I was wondering at which point I can implement silverlight. All right if I want to know nice animation then that is clear I will use it for that purpose, or integated video, but video integration you can also do it in asp.net.

I have , by experience, some habit when q new technology occurs is to really see what it can give you more that I could not get with asp.net for instance. A lot of people usually use it because it new and we have too. I am not such people, I am maybe too wise.

I guess also that you can build a complete web site with silverlight. In that case does it sound to be the death of ASP.net ? I guess not

So mainly why this 2 environment ( outside fancy animation) and when use one vs the other ?

Usually I am alwasy asking myself, "use it but not abuse it".

IF we look backwards when Flash appears, we saw a lot of web site with Flash and it was so boring waiting for animation to complete or render web site extremly slow and ,ot well reference by robots.

Thanks for you comment in order to light my brain about silverlight

regards

serge

Friday, April 03, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• first of all asp.net provides user controls. they also use asp.net ajax or partial page updates

using asp.net ajax update panels. Think about it this way you have  html page

and you use aspnet.ajax or jquery to communicate.  you are using the client side in silverlight....  You need to go to the asp.net web site

and look for working with ajax update panels, I would study all of the videos at silverlight site and   asp.net ajax

you can also use templates for multiple pages or for just that designed page. style objects using blend

is a great video on that subject......      

Friday, April 03, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I have browse many of those video on silverlight and  know also expression blend. I waas more asking myself what will be th real benefit on using silverlight instead of normal asp.net ajax then. Sometimes there are too many product which overlaps and decision is hrds too take or known.

There are people for whose thinking is more a kind of fashion so lets use it, and some othr like me who are more wise.

I was wondering

Saturday, April 04, 2009 6:37 AM
  • first of all let's look at the facts:

1. Microsoft has spent alot of money developing silverlight  along with ado.net data services(can only be used on the same domain)

ado.net entity framework wpf(the future of windows programming-in vs 2010)   

2. web forms will be still be around however if you want enterprise applications

silverlight asp.net ajax is the way to go

if you are happy with web forms stay with that peronally I would rather go with an enterprise application

you do need to study silverlight more....before you can judge it!!!! Silverlight is enterprise driven you can do

do more with it....Please be aware I just love the capacity of silverlight.......

Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:47 AM
  • htttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc838247(VS.95).aspx

differences between silverlight and mac machines

by the way graphics are much better than web forms  in silverlight wpf applications

wpf and silverlight (if you use asp.net mvc or iron ruby or iron python- teach

about object oriented programming(colleges still teach c++ and the original java language-  

object oriented programming ) all  of the new sql techniques use domain development

which can be better served in silverlight web applications     http://silverlighthack.com/post/2008/10/23/Silverlight-ASPNET-MVC-vs-Web-Forms-(Very-High-Level).aspx

Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:35 PM
  • http://www.nikhilk.net/Ajax-vs-Silverlight-and-NET.aspx 

if you Google: Ajax vs Silverlight.  Nice schematic.

I just ordered a book on Silverlight, having finished most of what I need to know about ASP.NET.  I hope Silverlight is more strongly typed, as for example C# is, than XHTML type script languages like ASP.NET (classic), which is always a problem for me to debug.

MS

Saturday, April 04, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Silverlight is an important addition to the web and will likely be as fundamental as Javascript or css.  It could be even more fundamental than HTML but it won't for two reasons, revenue and one other.

1.  Silverlight is not searchable by Google, at least not unless you do everything in XAML which then limits its usefulness. 

2. What ever reason you want, as #1 is so important that it swamps number two.

Still, it will become very important.  What you can do with Silverlight is to create an application which walks, talks and quacks like an application, but runs on the web.  Some people think that is valuable, and that if people get exposed to that level of content, they will no longer be happy with Javascript enabled websites, and static content websites.  It will also change the distribution model of applications to something like cloud computing.  A sort of hybrid model most likely, with some from desktop and some from web.  Who will have the resources to use the eventual 3d aspects remains to be seen, but it will likely be important.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Which book did you select Marvin, I was just looking for one but there 10 of those and do not know which one could cover the basic to advanced

thnaks

serge

Monday, April 06, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Here is the point I was expecting to get talldaniel, exctly what is actually happening with Flash web site will occurs in silver light. In the sense that people was makiing so nice fun web side with flash ( for me matter of fashion again ) that those type of site were noto able to be search by search engine. So I guess for people who don't reaaly care about those search engine then they will go with silverlight as well but for enterprise web site I guess ASP.net will be the proper choice with why not some simple thing with silverlight; but main info will be still in pure HTML as ending result

So I guess the conclusion is use it but not abuse it :-)  

Serge

Monday, April 06, 2009 4:10 AM
  • This is my point for enterprise web applications silverlight is the answer. Period. The fact is it takes longer and more developmental time

to develop an enterprise silverlight application than a asp.net web site. Did you really  look at azure cloud services? Fact!!!!They use xaml code 

silverlight can be done in multiple web applications-web forms simply are not as advanced as silverlight asp.net

web application(not asp.net web forms)  or if you are an enterprise developer you wishto use asp.net mvc web application using

object oriented programming you can also use iron ruby or iron pyton wpf also with silverlight asp.net silverlight  asp.net mvc, iron ruby or iron python is able to carry much more database storage

than plain old vanilla asp.net web forms    

1.asp.net web forms a nice beginning it is not considered by most  serious developers to really  have a enterprise development future.

http://www.nikhilk.net/Ajax-vs-Silverlight-and-NET.aspx  Wouldnt you want a application to have greater capacities than

just plain old asp.net web forms???  

By the way have you looked at the graphics asp.net web forms provide????

silverlight can be used in a asp.net web application(not web form) or asp.net mvc web application or iron ruby or

iron python wpf is used in a intranet or a windows form  I  will use this analogy suppose you had a 1990's television nice television nice at that time

now look at digital television of today  far superior better graphics better sound more lifelike

silverlight provides a better graphical user interface than asp.net web forms(example silverlight has buttons you actually feel you have pressed)

Wouldn't you like people to appreciate the superior graphical edge that silverlight  has than plain old vanilla

asp.net web forms??? By the way wpf (intranet windows forms) that will be only only

choice in visual studio 2010,  silverlight asp.net web application  is a clear winner  over plain jane web forms.........

Monday, April 06, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Here is the point I was expecting to get talldaniel, exctly what is actually happening with Flash web site will occurs in silver light. In the sense that people was makiing so nice fun web side with flash ( for me matter of fashion again ) that those type of site were noto able to be search by search engine. So I guess for people who don't reaaly care about those search engine then they will go with silverlight as well but for enterprise web site I guess ASP.net will be the proper choice with why not some simple thing with silverlight; but main info will be still in pure HTML as ending result

So I guess the conclusion is use it but not abuse it :-)  

Serge

I am working on a search engine of sorts which is works enough differently that it would be able to consider Flash and Silverlight.  Wish me luck on developing it.

Monday, April 06, 2009 11:43 AM
  • I wish you the best with this project, as well        

Monday, April 06, 2009 12:12 PM
  • So if I catch teh whole story I think I am right saying that user interaction with the Web site could be done in silver light but of course render text from database or things like that can be htm standard right ? Otherwise if all is silverlight then trouble with search engine and as I am developping a customer web side that shoudd be search from the web I should plan carefully.

By the way 2 simple question :

1 : How silverlight gets deploy in an Internet provider comate to a web site ?

2: which books do you recommand to learn fast and effective Silverlight consuming any kind of data from begining to adanced level

Thanks for help

serge

Monday, April 06, 2009 1:52 PM
  • 1. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458937.aspx   how to deply your web site

2.  http://forum.discountasp.net/archive/index.php/f-32.html here's an article from discount asp.net   

3   http://silverlight.net/blogs/msnow/archive/2008/10/20/silverlight-tip-of-the-day-64-deploying-a-silverlight-application-with-a-web-service.aspx

mike snow's blog

http://blogs.msdn.com/psiman/archive/2008/11/19/publishing-wcf-web-services-for-silverlight.aspx

http://silverlight.net/learn/tutorials/sqldatagrid.aspx   silverlight  tutorial watch all the data web services videos   

2 The best book on the subject is john papa's book data driven services with  silverlight 2 oreilly

good luck.....

This should help you out......

silverlight you must use wcf  web services you can use linq to sql  etc Please check out the videos on silverlight they help   for data and everything must be compiled before you can deploy it you also need to use a good linq book ado.net entity framework

by the way do not use ado.net entity data modeling you can not use this because of cross domain issues.....

Monday, April 06, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Usually, when developers think about web projects, they imagine applications and their users in front of a computer screen. What about applications that their purpose is to be seen on TV (not only video) and automatically update their content? (especially when there is

This is the reason that I went to Silverlight. I needed to improve an application that was automatically playing on TV screens, written in ASP.NET using AJAX. The result with Silverlight was amazing.

Also, a very good book to start is Pro Silverlight 2 in C# 2008 by Matthew McDonald, from Apress.  

Monday, April 06, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Also, a very good book to start is Pro Silverlight 2 in C# 2008 by Matthew McDonald, from Apress.  

that is a great book. 

Monday, April 06, 2009 4:19 PM
  • I selected this book to learn Silverlight:  so far, so good:

Matthew MacDonald

Pro Silverlight 2 in C# 2008

APress publishers

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:57 PM