none
Reloading a video locally

General discussion

• I am investigating a scenario where I would like to load a video file by setting the Source property to an Uri (with eventually a streaming site), then afterwards extract the video stream and save it into Isolated Storage and later reload the video by recreating the stream from Isolated Storage and use MediaElement.SetSource. 

The problem is that one cannot extract the video bytes from MediaElement after the video is loaded.  Alternatively, I can get the stream from the server with HttpWebRequest and then load the WebResponse stream with MediaElement.SetSource but it appears that streaming does not work through HttpWebRequest.

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to do this?  Basically, I want to load a video by streaming into MediaElement and then save the stream into Isolated Storage simultaneously or after the streaming is complete.

Dennis

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:17 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately isolated storage is quite small. The default size is only 100k. There's no way to store a video file in it...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:36 AM
  • IsolatedStorageFile.TryIncreaseQuotaTo does allow you to increase this dramatically, in fact the dialog says "unlimited" and I successfully saved 25-56 MB  (1.4 GB)  wmv videos to IsolatedStorage by streaming the bits from the WebResponse stream from a HttpWebRequest for the .wmv file.  I could load them from IsolatedStorage and replay them in MediaElement controls.

Dennis

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:04 PM