none
How can I fix a 2104 error in a Silverlight application

    Question

  • I have an existing Silverlight application that's been running for a few months with lots of users. This week we had a new user try to use the application but he keeps getting this error message.
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) Timestamp: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:49:04 UTC
    Message: Unhandled Error in Silverlight Application Code: 2104
    Category: InitializeError
    Message: 2104 An error has occurred.
    We're running IIS 7.5 on Windows 2008 R2, the user has Silverlight 4 (4.0.50826.0) installed.
    Any idea what might be wrong?

    I have an existing Silverlight application that's been running for a few months with lots of users. This week we had a new user try to use the application but he keeps getting this error message.

    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) Timestamp: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:49:04 UTC

    Message: Unhandled Error in Silverlight Application Code: 2104
    Category: InitializeError
    Message: 2104 An error has occurred.

    We're running IIS 7.5 on Windows 2008 R2, the user has Silverlight 4 (4.0.50826.0) installed.

    Any idea what might be wrong?

    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:56 AM

All replies

  • i think this error means that the xap can't be found. Does this happen to all users or just specific ones? Also have you changed the url or the location of the xap?

    1 more thing I'd look into is that, something is blocking the xap from being downloaded. Can you try to check using fiddler if it's downloading it?

    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Correct, this error generally indicates that the MIME type for Silverlight has not been configured in IIS, but as I mentioned the app has been running for months with lots of users. It's just one person getting the error.

    Fiddler's a good suggestion, unfortunately the error is occuring on a clients PC, far, far away.

    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I'm no expert programmer. What I did do to fix this functionally, was the target SL version the SL Bus App for SL 5. (For some reason it doesnt do it on it's own even I have SL 5 and tools installed) The Solution reopens and builds without errors and runs fine. However, I wanted to target SL 4 for now. So when I rolled back the target version to SL4 it builds with only one error instead of the original forty I had. But it's a minor fix and it does run fine. Good luck to all.

    Marc

    Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:59 PM