none
cannot install silverlight to mac 10.6.8

Question

• I just downloaded silverlight from http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx . When I try to install it I get an error: "Microsoft® Silverlight™ Browser Plug-In can’t be installed on this computer. The plug-in requires MacOS X 10.5 or higher." But I have a higher version: 10.6.8 Does anyone know how to fix it?

(This is like very old DOS games which say "You don't have 64kb memory. You only have 4" which is actullay 4gb.)

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:40 AM

Answers

• Ok after inspecting the installer I found the workaround without calling the customer support. (I hate calling customer support for these not so obvious stuff)

Anyway I don't know why but the InstallationCheck script under Silverlight.pkg/Contents/Resources somehow fails. If I run this script independently it returns 0 which means success but it fails somehow when run under Silverlight.pkg. Looking inside the script I don't see any problem.

What I did is to copy /Volumes/Silverlight to a place where I can change the contents. Then I deleted the InstallationCheck script under Contents/Resources/ so the Installer will skip it. After this change I launched the modified pkg from its new location and it installed without a problem. I started firefox afterwards and the plugin works. 

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:09 AM
  • i followed someone else's advice (kinda) and found all the silverlight files in "INVISIBLE FILES".

In the Finder, choose File > Find or press Command (⌘)-F.
    From the far-left pop-up menu (labeled “Kind”), choose Other.
    In the list of search attributes, select the “File invisible” checkbox, and then click OK.
    In the related menu, choose Invisible Items.

once loaded go to folder Private

then to folder VAR

then folder db

theb folder Receipts

scroll to any com.microsoft.silverlight item and delete. there are a bunch of them.

close, restart and install silverlight.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:06 PM

All replies

• At least provide a download link to download the older versions so that I may try them. I don't want to download this from other sites.

I added the proof that the installer gets the wrong version. I think before releasing you should first test if the installer works correctly or not, right :)

from terminal:

<machine_name>$ sw_vers
    ProductName: Mac OS X
    ProductVersion: 10.6.8
    BuildVersion: 10K549

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

Does your Mac have Intel processor or PowerPC?

Silverlight only support on Intel based Mac with Macintosh OS 10.5.7+.

Please verify if this is the cause of this issue.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

As you can see from http://i.imgur.com/igKVW.png my laptop has an intel core i7. (And BTW I can successfully install & use the same version on my Windows 7 laptop.)

Macbook's version: (from Apple's site):

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

You can see the specifications here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Technical_specifications_2

edit: Corrected the links.

Hi,

Does your Mac have Intel processor or PowerPC?

Silverlight only support on Intel based Mac with Macintosh OS 10.5.7+.

Please verify if this is the cause of this issue.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:13 AM
  • Please try

Silverlight for Mac is not being recognized or you are continually prompted to install

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981760

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Thank you for the response. Looking at the reasons that was listed on that page:

• Your system has an earlier version of the plug-in and does not meet the requirements for the plug-in that the site is using.

From terminal:

<computer name>$ cd /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/
    <computer name>$ ls -al
    total 16
    drwxrwxr-x 11 root admin 374 May 5 19:51 .
    drwxrwxr-t+ 60 root admin 2040 Apr 23 09:52 ..
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 May 5 19:51 Flash Player.plugin
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 87 Jan 3 11:21 JavaAppletPlugin.plugin -> //System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 26 2010 Quartz Composer.webplugin
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Apr 26 2011 QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    drwxrwxr-x@ 3 root admin 102 Aug 25 2010 SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Aug 25 2010 SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 856 Apr 27 12:13 flashplayer.xpt
    drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 21 2011 iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 2394 Feb 10 2011 nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

So I don't have an older version. For the requirements as I said earlier I meet the minimum requirements.

• You do not have the plug-in installed.

Yes I don't have the plug-in installed and I can't install it.

• The browser is set to "Run using Rosetta," which will cause the computer to be identified incorrectly as a PowerPC-based Mac.

Rosetta is not installed on my mac.

So this didn't resolve my problem. The reason my silverlight is not working is the plug-in is not installed. Because I can't install it. Because the installer thinks I don't meet the minimum requirements.

Please try

Silverlight for Mac is not being recognized or you are continually prompted to install

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981760

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:03 PM
  • There is "No charge support for Silverlight is available for install and uninstall issues only."

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=12929&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Ok after inspecting the installer I found the workaround without calling the customer support. (I hate calling customer support for these not so obvious stuff)

Anyway I don't know why but the InstallationCheck script under Silverlight.pkg/Contents/Resources somehow fails. If I run this script independently it returns 0 which means success but it fails somehow when run under Silverlight.pkg. Looking inside the script I don't see any problem.

What I did is to copy /Volumes/Silverlight to a place where I can change the contents. Then I deleted the InstallationCheck script under Contents/Resources/ so the Installer will skip it. After this change I launched the modified pkg from its new location and it installed without a problem. I started firefox afterwards and the plugin works. 

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:09 AM
  • i followed someone else's advice (kinda) and found all the silverlight files in "INVISIBLE FILES".

In the Finder, choose File > Find or press Command (⌘)-F.
    From the far-left pop-up menu (labeled “Kind”), choose Other.
    In the list of search attributes, select the “File invisible” checkbox, and then click OK.
    In the related menu, choose Invisible Items.

once loaded go to folder Private

then to folder VAR

then folder db

theb folder Receipts

scroll to any com.microsoft.silverlight item and delete. there are a bunch of them.

close, restart and install silverlight.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:06 PM