none
Only Ado.net Entity data model? Why not other?

Question

• I have seen normally in silverlight web project->adding ado.net entity data model -> right clicking .web project-> add new item -> then select under Data-> Ado.net Entity data model..can't we use other instead of ado.net entity framework..I don't know other but is there any way? please provide code if possible..or show step by step flow for having server stuff linked with client using wcf ria service without using ado.net entity framework

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

That is N-Tier desing application and EDMX is the best one that automaticllaly generate DAL and BLL for us from Microsoft.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Hi,

can't we use other instead of ado.net entity framework

From my experience ,you can represent your data using any type of data access layer, such as ADO.NET Entity Data Model, LINQ-to-SQL object model, CLR object, or a Web service.

I would like to suggest you to check the link below for an article which describes the data access layers of WCF RIA Services.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee707348%28v=VS.91%29.aspx

I don't know other but is there any way? please provide code if possible..or show step by step flow for having server stuff linked with client using wcf ria service without using ado.net entity framework

In addition ,I would recommend that please check the links below for more information about using WCF RIA Services.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brada/archive/2009/07/11/business-apps-example-for-silverlight-3-rtm-and-net-ria-services-july-update-part-1-rich-data-query.aspx

http://www.silverlight.net/learn/tutorials/silverlight-4/using-wcf-ria-services/

Hope it can help you.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:29 PM
  • I have seen normally in silverlight web project->adding ado.net entity data model -> right clicking .web project-> add new item -> then select under Data-> Ado.net Entity data model..can't we use other instead of ado.net entity framework..I don't know other but is there any way? please provide code if possible..or show step by step flow for having server stuff linked with client using wcf ria service without using ado.net entity framework

swapnil, there are few many ORM tools available in the market Linq to entities, linq to sql, Nhibernate , third party tools.

but above all, the EF is best and best with WCF RIA sevices.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Forget about EF and RIA.  You should definitely take a look at WCF REST services. I've been working with REST for a few months now and I love the simplicity and speed. You don't have to generate proxy classes and you can work with simple plain old CLR objects (POCO) on both the server and silverlight side. Throw me a line if you need a sample project.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:44 AM
  • yes please, i would like to have a sample project.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:03 PM
  • I think we ALL would ;-)   How about posting some stuff here or a link to somewhere with it.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:53 PM