none
Fullscreen problems with Silverlight 5 and netflix

Question

• hello there

i have recently got a subscription from Netflix which is kinda cool however i noticed that there's some playback issues with full screen mode.. in particular often at times it would exit fullscreen (as if it would lose focus) in the middle of playing, not related of anti virus updating as far as i can tell, the movie does not stop.

this happened with IE9, latest Chrome and latest Firefox.

after contacting netflix's support they recommended to try diff browsers, updating silverlight and/or laptops video cards, which are all things i have done.

at the beginning i had silverlight 4, which i uninstalled and installed 5 and just recently, once again i reinstalled silverlight (release 5), restarted and reinstalled then watched a movie and seemed to work but i cant tell for sure...

my pc is a HP Pavilion dv6-6b51ea (has intel HD3000 and dedicated ATI available) and i am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Avira Anti Virus.

after browsing a little for other people with the same issue, somebody (i think on this forum) suggested to try the silverlight test video or something similar, and try going fullscreen there, and i noticed that when you do, you get a pop up which asks confirmation of full screen, which seemed to be what i am looking for BUT when you do fullscreen with netflix, you never get such prompt, is there a way to force netflix doing that?

i was wondering if there's something else i could try perhaps, could be the hdd doing something or the anti virus? thanks to anyone that answer me!

Gab

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I cannot target the problem directly.

To narrow down, I suggest you to view the Netflix video on another clean machine if you have one.

If it also happens it’s a Netflix issue. If not it’s a machine specific issue (firewall, add-ons, 3rd party software, driver, etc.).

Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I cannot target the problem directly.

To narrow down, I suggest you to view the Netflix video on another clean machine if you have one.

If it also happens it’s a Netflix issue. If not it’s a machine specific issue (firewall, add-ons, 3rd party software, driver, etc.).

hi there

i do have another machine but is not "clean", and i do not plan into formatting a computer just to pinpoint this issue. as i wrote above i did some search and it appears other people are having this issue. i reckon that when you view a video with netflix, when you go fullscreen, silverlight does not ask you about switching to fullscreen and confirming the choice, which happens with the silverlight test site.

could it be Avira Antivirus doing some background scan instead? or disk defragmenter perhaps?

what i cannot explain is that video exits fullscreen EXACTLY at 50% of the playtime. this is a regular pattern. just once, then you click again fullscreen and it plays until the end.

if i cannot fix this, i will never subscribe to netflix, i find it annoying.

thanks

gab

Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:07 AM
  • what i cannot explain is that video exits fullscreen EXACTLY at 50% of the playtime. this is a regular pattern. just once, then you click again fullscreen and it plays until the end.

Hi gab81,

As you have mentioned, it is a regular pattern and just once, in my opinion, Avira Antivirus or disk defragmenter will not do such a regular work, so I suggest you to contact netflix again for more help.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Hi gab81,

I suggest you to watch this video(just let it play in order to observe if whether the problem is reproducible.):

http://www.silverlight.net/archives/videos/getting-started-with-silverlight-development

Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:44 PM
  • It is not your machine or Avira.  I have had the exact same issue you describe using Netflix.  It is DEFINITELY a Silverlight problem.  Sometimes my system actually SAYS the problem is Silverlight.  I use Vista 32/64.  I have tried Silverlight 4, then 5, I use MS Essentials, not Avira, so my opinion, it is not the virus program.  I have researched and there are more than just a few people with this issue. There are quite a few people with this issue.  The video starts stuttering, the audio is not matching the video.  The video stops, but audio keeps going.  All sorts of issues.  The weirdest thing is it seems like I can watch one episode of a TV series, and about half way thru the 2nd episode it starts and will not stop.  Because of this consisten timing, I thought it was my laptop heating up, but that is not the problem either.  It is irritating me to no end.  Basically, right now, Netflix is my only source of entertainment, so it is not an "extra" for me.  PLEASE...someone needs to fix this.  Riddle me this, why do we have to use Silverlight anyway?  Couldn't we use another plug in? I'm pulling out my hair, please help before I am bald.  :)
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:04 AM
  • BUMP!

I have similar issues with amazon prime using siverlight (latest version) with IE (latest version) on win 8.1 pro.

I have tested chrome without any issues. I just uninstalled siverlight and selected to use flash and have not had any issues so far.

My siverlight issues only occurred when I would go from full screen to windowed then pause and play again in full screen. the siverlight full screen permission box would pop up but freeze everything up. I also had issues with audio getting choppy.

All these issues went away after removing siverlight and using flash with IE.

my 2 cents.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 1:30 AM