none
IE 7 browser keeps asking me to download Silverlight 2 plugin but works in FireFox 3

Question

• I had the problem that Silverlight 2.0 would not work in IE 7 or Firefox 3.1. So reading some posts and I uninstalled Expression Blend 2 SP1 and Expression Blend 2 and now Silverlight 2.0 works in Firefox 3.1 but in IE 7 I still get the icon asking me to download Silverlight 2. I have downloaded and installed but get the error ID 3010:

Microsoft Silverlight has been installed successfully. The installer will remove temporary installation files the next time you restart your computer.

Restarted computer but still does not work in IE 7. Showing the same site with Silverlight 2.0 works in Firefox 3.1 but in IE 7 I am asked to download and install Silverlight 2. Computer is running Windows XP Pro SP 3 and have VS 2008 SP1 installed and SQL 2005.

Any help would be appreciated. Any setting in IE 7 that I need to check?

Thanks,

Jerry J. Jansen

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Jansen,

Firstly, we need to narrow down whether Silverlight plug-in has been installed successfully.  To confirm this, we can simply create a brand new Silverlight project to see whether it works on Firefox and IE.  If yes, we need to go through its code logic and modify all the break changes made by Silverlight 2 RTW and rebuild it.  Otherwise, we need to reinstall the plug-in.

Since we cannot reproduce your issue locally.  We suggest that you'd better delete all the temporary files(including these cached files used by IE and Firefox ).  Then use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove all the Silverlight installations.  Next, we'd better restart our computer(It is not required). At last, install the Silverlight plug-in.  http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/

Please let me know the result.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Monday, October 20, 2008 4:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Jansen,

Firstly, we need to narrow down whether Silverlight plug-in has been installed successfully.  To confirm this, we can simply create a brand new Silverlight project to see whether it works on Firefox and IE.  If yes, we need to go through its code logic and modify all the break changes made by Silverlight 2 RTW and rebuild it.  Otherwise, we need to reinstall the plug-in.

Since we cannot reproduce your issue locally.  We suggest that you'd better delete all the temporary files(including these cached files used by IE and Firefox ).  Then use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove all the Silverlight installations.  Next, we'd better restart our computer(It is not required). At last, install the Silverlight plug-in.  http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/

Please let me know the result.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Monday, October 20, 2008 4:20 AM
  •  I had the same problem. But later I figured out that my Silverlight application was built for Silverlight 2 Beta 2. The browser with Silverlight 2 Release installed can not run Beta 2 application and it would keep asking you for downloading a silverlight runtime. After I upgraded my development environment to Silverlight 2 and rebuilt my silverlight app, both IE 6/7 and Firefox worked fine. To double check if it is your silverlight runtime installation problem or not, you can go to www.microsoft.com/silverlight. If your browser is able to view the silverlight components on the site, your installation is fine. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Dear Jonathan, I have same problem, but I'm not a developer, just a runtime user. I did follow your suggestions, but unfortunelly (mainly Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, really useless app) nothing changed. I have Vista Ultimate SP1 with IE7 (7.0.6001.18000), and I did try install SL2 many times, but always I came this site at ShowCase to check if it's working, I receive 'You do not have Silverlight installed' message. To be sure of be able to carry out a clean installation, I ran WICUU, just as you suggested, but as the subsequent installation of SL failed (Error 1642) due to that it only erase uninstalling entry, then I had to manually erase SL folder and also eliminate all SL registry entries. After this, SL was successfully installed. According to 'Programs and Features of Panel Control options, SL I have installed is 2.0.31005.0 version. Unlike Jansen, I haven't installed FF3 (or any other web browser than IE7)
    I'll be more than pleased if you can help me to fix this problem.
    Thanks in advance

Regards

MarianoL

Monday, October 20, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Hi Marianol,

Firstly, please make sure that you have installed Silverlight 2 RTW runtime.    You can get it from here on the middle-right by clicking Windows Runtime.

In deed, if  the http://silverlight.net works on your browser,  it means that Silverlight 2 RTW has been installed successfully.

Sencondly,  some of the websites are written on the previous editions, it doesn't compatible anymore and needs to migrate to the latest platform. 

Best regards,

Jonathan

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Dear Jonathan, apologize me... Really I installed SL2 RTW, and I forgot to do that explanation previously assuming that was implicit in the build version to which I refer in my post. Because you've made me wonder, I have just downloaded it again from the link you referenced and upon comparing it with last version that I used to install seems to be clear that both are the same one. And to the effects to verify its adequate operation, I go to ShowCase section here, which I assume this brought up to date in its development to this last version...
    Some another suggestion about what can I investigate?  And again, many thanks.

Regards

MarianoL

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Hi Marianol,

Would you please paste the link of the website that doesn't work in your browser?   Also, please describe the behaviors for us so we can get more clues.  Thanks for understanding.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:18 PM
  •  Are you using MS Silverlight Streaming to host it, because if you are it has exactly that problem. Simply host the app elsewhere for now.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Jonathan, the URL of that link is http://silverlight.net/showcase/, not other than ShowCase section of this SL site... Now I'm at work, where I have Windows Vista also but instead of at my home (where I have Ultimate edition), here I have Vista Business. Both were been updated to SP1 and have same version of SL2 (RTW, 2.0.31005.0). But, and here is the weird part, in my notebook at work it is working fine, and in my desktop at home it is not...
    Besides showcase itself page, SL isn't working in any other site indexed in that seccion, of which I have tested of various countries and different categories.  The only difference among when it functions to me or not, is that when it works well, I receive a filter board showing a SL sites thumbnail and when it doesn't work, I receive a message saying 'You do not have Silverlight installed' over a similar (maybe the same) blurred board. I couldn't visualize redirections (if there are) in the bar of status...
    BTW, it isn't death or live matter to me; I'm just wondering if I can fix this weird behaviour, and of course I appreciate all your effort.

Dear pkr2000, as I said before, I'm just a runtime user, and I'm not hosting nor developing SL contents.

Regards

Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Hi Marianol,

Because Silverlight-based applications are cross-platform, they run in most modern Web browsers. The following table shows the compatible operating systems and browsers. For updates to this table, see System Requirements on the Silverlight page at Microsoft.com.

Operating System

Internet Explorer 7

Internet Explorer 6

Firefox 1.5, 2.x, and 3.x

Safari 2.x and 3.x

Windows Vista

Yes

-

Yes

-

Windows XP SP2

Yes

Yes

Yes

-

Windows XP SP3

Yes

Yes

Yes

-

Windows 2000

-

Yes

-

-

Windows Server 2003 (excluding IA-64)

Yes

Yes

Yes

-

Mac OS 10.4.8+ (PowerPC)

-

-

-

-

Mac OS 10.4.8+ (Intel-based)

-

-

Yes

Yes

It should work.  I suspect that Silverlight plug-in is disabled in your browser.  Please find it by:    Tools --> Internet Options--> Programs--> Manage add ons.
    Best regards,
    Jonathan
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:02 PM
  • If the silverlight app your are attempting to use is hosted at Silverlight Streaming it might not work. Does the following link work? www.clearbreezedesign.com/olop.htm

Friday, October 24, 2008 11:29 AM
  • Hi Jonathan, first, apologize my delay to answer but I were a few days away. Going back to SL2 issue I'm suffering, I can confirm you that I have Windows Vista Ultimate, which reports the following:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
    OS Language: English (United States)
    OS Kernel Type: Multiprocessor Free (32-bit)
    OS Version: 6.0.6001 (Vista Retail)
    OS Service Pack: Service Pack 1

with IE7 (Version 7.0.6001.18000). And checking SL plug-in, this is IE information about it:

Name: Microsoft Silverlight
    Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
    Type: ActiveX Control
    File: npctrl.dll

I hope this can let you suggest me more things to investigate.
    And again, thank you...

---

Hi PKR, perhaps you are narrowing the issue: I can play Olop's game but when I try to open Alderley Edge Interactive Map I receive a 'Get Microsoft Silverlight' light blue button. And if I check both with my laptop (Vista Business) I can see both sites.
    And thanks to you too.

Regards

MarianoL

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Hi MarianoL,

My colleague has the same environments and I tested on his pc.  It works pretty well there. Would you please reinstall silverlight by following this article and have a test?

Best regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Odd, I asked you to try Olop because it's hosted at that site rather than on Silverlight streaming so it's interesting it works for you. However, the 'Alderley Edge' app is Silverlight 1 so that should be ok whatever version you have.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Dear Jonathan, that article seems to be pretty much the same one that you suggested me when I came at first and that I already done several times before. And even I believe that I should be possibly the only one to whom happens this, but exactly is for which is so weird and I resort to you. Anyway, I did it again. But it continues happening same thing. No matter how many times I try it (and even I have check in registry the non-existence of SL entries) when I access to a site with SL contents (as the showcase of silverlight.net), I still continue receiving the message that I should install SL. And even though I install it, it continues me appearing that message. And if I can install it more than once, (over and over again, new one over previous one), because the same installer doesn't report me that already I have it previously installed.
    In case that exist some relation or problem of co-existence with another application, those are what I have installed:

µTorrent
    AC3Filter (remove only)
    Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Professional
    Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0
    Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
    Apple Software Update
    Avanquest update
    CCleaner (remove only)
    CyberLink PhotoNow
    CyberLink PowerDirector
    Encoders for Helium Music Manager 2008
    FileZilla Client 3.1.5
    Helium Music Manager 2008 (build 6158)
    HP Officejet Pro K550 Series Toolbox
    ImgBurn
    Java(TM) 6 Update 10
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Motorola Driver Installation 3.7.0
    Motorola Phone Tools
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB941833)
    QuickTime
    SmartSound Quicktracks
    VanDyke Software SecureCRT 5.5
    VIA Rhine Family Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Windows Installer Clean Up
    Windows Live installer
    Windows Live Messenger
    Windows Live Sign-in Assistant
    Windows Resource Kit Tools - SubInAcl.exe
    WinRAR archiver
    Xvid 1.1.3 final uninstall

BTW, the situation that PKR remarks about I can play SL streaming content at that specific site doesn't let you think is something else I can check? How SL works to verify installed version to determine that I need to install it?

I'll remain waiting news.
    Thank you very much

Regards

MarianoL

Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hi Marianol,

Would you please check whether Silverlight plug-in is disabled in your browser?   (IE-->Tools--> Internet Options--> Programs-->Manage Add-ons ).

We suggest that you'd better create a brand new Silverlight-enabled program and have a test.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hi Shen,

I am new to Silverlight. And while browsing i have some of your posts.

I am converting my SilverlightBeta 2 appln to Silverlight2.

And the  appln is working fine in Firefox but not in IE(either 6 or 7).

Software I have in my sys:

1.VS2008 ServicePack

2.SilverLight2(RTW)

3.SilverlightTools

4.ExpressionBlend

5.WindowsXP

6.Silverlight DeveloperPacakage

I am unable to fix this issue...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chinna.

Monday, November 03, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Hi Chinna,

What does "not working in IE" really mean?  Please make sure that you have recompliled it and made the necessary modifications.  For example,

<asp:Silverlight ID="Xaml1" runat="server" Source="~/ClientBin/SilverlightReference.xap" MinimumVersion="2.0.31005.0" Width="100%" Height="100%" />

You can get the break changes.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Monday, November 03, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Dear Jonathan, SL2 plug-in is still enabled. And taking as reference your answer to chinna_g question, I add that SL2 running version is 2.0.31005.0. But I can't understand what do you mean with your second paragraph... I'm not a developer. I'm just an user, a basic runtime/plugin user...

Best regards

MarianoL

Monday, November 03, 2008 9:00 AM
  • Hi MarianoL,

I'm not a developer. I'm just an user, a basic runtime/plugin user...

Leave it alone.   It is an trick for migrating Silverlight-enabled applications to new platform. How about Silverlight works on other browsers?  For example,  Firefox.

Besides showcase itself page, SL isn't working in any other site indexed in that seccion, of which I have tested of various countries and different categories. 

Do you mean all the websites listed in showcase are not working for you expect the showcase itself?   It is really weird.  I have tested some of the websites on the same evironments(like yours), it works here.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  Ok, lets slow down a bit.

FACT:

1. You can play OLOP which is a Silverlight 2 release application hosted on at a non-micorsoft site. i.e. it is not hosted at silverlight hosting

2. Silverlight hosting (at least couldn't) doesn't yet support Silverlight 2 release - you get the error in IE incorrectly asking you to install Silverlight

OBSERVATION:

1. For some reason Firefox can run SL2 apps hosted at silverlight stream - go figure??

2. You could 1/3 Silverlight 1 apps, I suspect that is something to do with those apps, e.g. case sensative path or something

Question:

So the sites you are having a problem with if you look at the source code you should able to see the Silverlight control and the URI to where it is loading it's XAP (or XML if it's been renamed by the developer for mime type reasons) file from. If that looks like silverlight hosting then that is probably your problem.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 4:54 PM
  • I to have been getting this issue. I tried the steps mensioned using the CleanUp Utility, Registry removals and file removals. No resolutions. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

Here is more information that may help. When I open IE7 and choose "Manage Add-ons" under "Add-ons currently Loaded in Internet Explorer" Silverlight is not shown. I know, at least in the Beta and Beta 2 versions of Silverlight, that when I am on a Silverlight-enabled web page, Silverlight should be listed in this list. The only place I can find Silverlight in the "Manage Add-ons" area is under "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer". It is worth noting that in this list, it does show as enabled.

I think the issue is related to the fact that it does not show up as "currently loaded". I'm not sure if it's a registeration issue during setup or something else. Is there a way I can force a re-registration of Silverlight into Internet Explorer without using the installer to do so? I may try installing IE8 and re-installing Silverlight after that and see what I get. If I get around to that I will report my findings. In the mean time, is there anything else I can try?

Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 6.0.6001 (Build 6001)

Hardware Abstraction Layer 6.0.6001.18000

Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000 - Update Versions 0

All known Hotfixes as of 11/05/2008 10:46h EST installed.

UAC is enabled both during installation and after installation.

ActiveX Installer Service in Windows Features is installed and enabled.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:50 AM
  • I installed IE8 Beta 2 as stated in my previous post and reinstalled Silverlight 2. No luck. it still does not load in IE. It still shows in the "all add-ons" list in IE8's "Manage Addons" window. I have tested this on another system running Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) with SP1 installed and I get the same results. I have, however, tested this on a Windows Vista Home Premium system with SP1 installed and it works just fine. It's strange. BTW, the second test system (Ultimate) does not have anything installed except Windows Updates and Silverlight 2. There is no AV software installed for this system for the purpose of testing. Additionally all non-essental hardware was removed to minimize driver installation requirements. Is there a reason why it would succeed on a Home Premium system but fail on 2 Ultimate systems?

I would still like to try re-registering the plugin manually if it's possible and see what that does. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Saturday, November 08, 2008 2:03 AM
  • I have the same problem as you and I know that when I go to version before RTW everything is working prefectly,when I installed RTW version of silverlight,some Silverlights sites report me with message to install Silverlight, and some silverlight sites are working normally...Little bit strange...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Saturday, November 08, 2008 3:35 PM
  •  Can you give some examples of the sites thaat don't work?

Sunday, November 09, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Look at Second picture above (http://silverlight.net/Showcase/) every time it gives me message to install silverlight...

Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:26 AM
  • The second picture? Do you mean in the showcase, i.e. the hotel?

Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Let me jump in here.  I have followed all of the steps in this post, including Windows Cleanup utility, fresh install of Silverlight 2 from this site.  IE 7 will only show the very latest Silverlight 2 showcase items.  Firefox 3.0 will show all showcase items, including version 1.0 items.  In the link recently talked about (http://www.silverlight.net/showcase/), I cannot even see the hotel picture.  All I get is the Install Silverlight button, when indeed it is installed.  I have a fresh install of Vista SP1 (SP1 was on the DVD).  Why would IE7 break down when Firefox does not?

Sunday, November 09, 2008 3:49 PM
  • In my case none of the Showcase Items work, 1.0 or 2.0. Also I went to the sites that Marko (I think it was) was showing pictures for and in my case they are not working. Also my company's web site (www.quilnet.com) uses Silverlight 1.0 components and it doesn't work either. When I run through the code while it executes the *IsInstalled()* method always returns false. If I uninstall Silverlight 2.0 RTW and install either Silverlight 1.0 RTW or Silverlight 2.0 Beta 2 it works without problems and our site returns true for the *IsInstalled()* method.

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:48 PM
  • This is definitely a bug that exists with Silverlight on IE7. I've seen it on at least half a dozen different PCs. It has nothing to do with the HTML embedded object code. This occurs on machines that have never had Silverlight installed, machines that have had Silverlight installed, and on machines with clean re-installs of Silverlight.

I do computer programming and technical support for a company, and one of the clients we do work for has a website that requires the newest version of Silverlight. I know enough about the page, programming, etc to say that this has to be a Silverlight problem Here is what happens...

Here is what happens:
    A user brings up the client page, downloads the newest Silverlight version, and then returns to the client's page. The page loads succsefully. However, if you return to the page later sometimes it will say the newest version of Silverlight needs to be installed - even though the users has already installed it and has successfully navigated to the page in question before.

As long as the user does not close out IE after loading the page successfully, they can continue to revisit the page without problems. On occasion a user can visit the page even after having closed IE - but once the "you need to install Silverlight" message comes up, the only solution is to uninstall Silverlight and reinstall it.

Basically, this means that users are having to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight each time they visit the website. After it breaks, it only breaks for certain Silverlight enabled sites.

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I have created silverlight 2.0 RTW application.My OS is WindowsServer 2003 & MOSS 2007 is Installed.When I host this application on my MOSS Server it works fine in IE 7 but same application is host on another Moss server it shows download Silverlight plugin.As same application which is hosted on My Moss server is works fine.Also I am not able to see the silverlight.net showcase.Could you please tell me is this silverlight bug?.Or is there any requirement list for hosting Silverlight rtw application?

Plz reply.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I have created silverlight 2.0 RTW application.My OS is WindowsServer 2003 & MOSS 2007 is Installed.When I host this application on my MOSS Server it works fine in IE 7 but same application is host on another Moss server it shows download Silverlight plugin.As same application which is hosted on My Moss server is works fine.Also I am not able to see the silverlight.net showcase.Could you please tell me is this silverlight bug?.Or is there any requirement list for hosting Silverlight rtw application?

Plz reply.

Friday, May 04, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Plz reply.

Friday, May 04, 2012 6:38 PM