none
Hosting and Streaming, difference??

Question

• Bear with me, I am very new to this.

My hosting service right now doesn't support .xaml and changing my files to .xml is causing a lot of problems because only dreamweaver will allow me to rename the file, and switching back and forth between VS, Expression Blend and Dreamweaver is just not working. Files get changed and everything is messed up. Anyways...

Basically I'm looking for something free that DOES support .xaml. I know about the silverlight streaming thing, but is it what I'm looking for? What is the difference between streaming and hosting?? Is there anyone else that hosts silverlight stuff for free.

If anyone has suggestions for an easier way to rename my files, that might prove to be easier since I would like to host my silverlight apps under the same domain. Thoughts???

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:40 PM

Answers

• the silverlight streaming (silverlight.live.com) isn't a full blown host, but allows you to host/stream your silverlight applications...you'd still need a host somewhere to embed the code.  i haven't heard of any free hosts, but you can look at some low-cost leaders like discountasp.net, godaddy, etc. for some reasonable rates.  i know that discountasp.net has said they are "silverlight friendly" which likely means their mime types are setup.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Just to further qualify Tim's reply... You ask "What is the difference between streaming and hosting?"

From the Silverlight Streaming service perspective:

• "Hosting" means that you can store (host) up to 4 GB worth of SIlverlight apps for free on the Silverlight Streaming storage servers
    • "Streaming" means that you'll be able to stream those Silverlight apps using the Silverlight Streaming service which provide geoscale and large bandwidth (up to 700 kbps) on-demans progressive streaming.

This is independent of hosting your web site where the Silverlight apps will be exposed and made consumable by end users.

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:56 PM

All replies

• the silverlight streaming (silverlight.live.com) isn't a full blown host, but allows you to host/stream your silverlight applications...you'd still need a host somewhere to embed the code.  i haven't heard of any free hosts, but you can look at some low-cost leaders like discountasp.net, godaddy, etc. for some reasonable rates.  i know that discountasp.net has said they are "silverlight friendly" which likely means their mime types are setup.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Just to further qualify Tim's reply... You ask "What is the difference between streaming and hosting?"

From the Silverlight Streaming service perspective:

• "Hosting" means that you can store (host) up to 4 GB worth of SIlverlight apps for free on the Silverlight Streaming storage servers
    • "Streaming" means that you'll be able to stream those Silverlight apps using the Silverlight Streaming service which provide geoscale and large bandwidth (up to 700 kbps) on-demans progressive streaming.

This is independent of hosting your web site where the Silverlight apps will be exposed and made consumable by end users.

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:56 PM
  • So...what parts of my app would go on the streaming site and which would be hosted by my hosting company? How do I "hook them up"? Would this solve my problem of needing to change all my file extensions from .xaml to .xml? Because that's really why I'm asking in the first place...

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:45 PM
  • yes, that would solve part of your specific problem :-) -- but you will still need a page to consume the streamed application.  Take a look at http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2007/05/01/14062.aspx and see if that makes things more or less confusing.  basically all your assets/xaml files would be uploaded to silverlight streaming and then you would embed that app on a page...the specific steps are in the streaming sdk: http://dev.live.com/silverlight where after you create an application it gives you the 3 steps to embed it in any page.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:51 PM
  • Thanks for the link, it really cleared things up. Funny thing though...I contacted my hosting company and told them about silverlight and what they needed to do to support it, and they did it!!!! In like a day too, I was impressed with how fast they responded. So they support Silverlight now. And if anyone else is looking for a hosting company, it's 1&1.com. Thanks for your help guys!!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:03 PM