none
3d Shoot'em up game in Silverlight

Question

• If any of you guys need to get the blood flowing on what you can create in silverlight, here is something for you!

http://www.dragoncavegames.com/

Click on the Premonition link.

I've been working on it for several months now. Enjoy!!! :)

-Mike

dragoncavegames

Sunday, April 03, 2011 1:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike. Nice :). 

Do you know about QuakeLight? It's not playable due to some bugs, but the self-running 3D demo works very well. Maybe you can get additional ideas for improved rendering from it.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Hi,

A quick note: During the music in the controls screen, you constantly hear "Preview". To me that sounds like if you're using the demo music from PremiumBeat.com :)

Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:44 AM
  • The playability is good. It moves fast and the controls are very responsive.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi Mike. Nice :). 

Do you know about QuakeLight? It's not playable due to some bugs, but the self-running 3D demo works very well. Maybe you can get additional ideas for improved rendering from it.

Hey thanks for the link Peter. I have seen their demo video before. I didn't know they actually had code behind it. I do have plans to add more complex rendering options the game. Some big improvements would be textures on the floor, see through walls (for columns), and multi-dimensional heights. I already have support to add stationary objects, and more bad guy types and weapons. The most important milestone for me is having something that is complete and playable and available to others. I tend to start projects I can't finish. So I'm glad you had a chance to check it out :) Thanks. -Mike

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Hi,

A quick note: During the music in the controls screen, you constantly hear "Preview". To me that sounds like if you're using the demo music from PremiumBeat.com :)

You caught me :) They are from a different site though. I bought the sound effects yesterday for 30sh. The music tracks are $115, $163 and something else. Not sure how I'm going to pay for that, hah. Maybe donations. Or I might have to swap it out for another song.

-Mike

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:14 PM
  • The playability is good. It moves fast and the controls are very responsive.

Thanks. Funny story, I had this problem I thought when first writing it that the keyboard controls would go breserk for a minute. This only happened on my work computer. I kept tweaking the code thinking it was performance related, until I realized that I was having the same problem with other apps on my computer intermittently and just subconsciously - at least I had gotten used to it so much - I'd just correct whatever mistake it made and move on without thinking about it. I finally made that connection haha.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:26 PM
  • The game loads and it counts down from 3 to 1 and then I get a messagebox that says I ran out of time!!?

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:50 PM
  • The game loads and it counts down from 3 to 1 and then I get a messagebox that says I ran out of time!!?

There is a 5 min time limit per level. Does it happen every time you go to play? I'd try the play again thing. Did you let the game sit in your browser a long while? For example, load the main screen and have it sit for five minutes? Maybe there is a bug. I'll take a look. Thanks. -Mike

Update: I made a small change that might help. Let me know if it works for you. I think it could also be related to a local issue (how the time is formatted).

Sunday, April 03, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Great game!  Thanks for sharing it.  Can you post a link to where you got the music, I'm interested in sites with music for purchase to use in my own game.

thanks,

-Matt

Sunday, April 03, 2011 1:53 PM
  • There is a 5 min time limit per level. Does it happen every time you go to play? I'd try the play again thing. Did you let the game sit in your browser a long while? For example, load the main screen and have it sit for five minutes? Maybe there is a bug. I'll take a look.

I tried again - same thing happens - game loads, counts down and it's game over right away (ran out of time). I tried on a different machine, cleaned my cache etc.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I tried again - same thing happens - game loads, counts down and it's game over right away (ran out of time). I tried on a different machine, cleaned my cache etc.

Hi, I changed it again and it might work for you.

Alternatively I set up this link which gives a message box with all of the time values used to calculate game over. Can you try this and screen cap or tell me what the msg box says (it appears right before out of time or for you right after starting the game).

http://www.dragoncavegames.com/Premonition/index2.php

The way I do the time is I keep track of a start time _levelStartTime, a _timeRemainingForLevel, and a _levelTimeLimit.

When you start the app I set the start time:        _levelStartTime = DateTime.Now;  _levelTimeLimit = new Span(0,5,0);

In a loop, I check for time up via:      _timeRemainingForLevel = _levelTimeLimit - (DateTime.Now - _levelStartTime);

and then: if ( _timeRemainingForLevel.TotalSeconds < 0 )  { ShowTimeUp(); }

Hopefully the ability to take a peak at those numbers might tell me a couple things - what the local is, what part of the operation is not working, etc.

As a side note: this app does require silverlight 4. I haven't tested to make sure the web page forces that update or not yet.

Thanks - Mike

Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:27 PM
  • As a side note: this app does require silverlight 4. I haven't tested to make sure the web page forces that update or not yet.

Ok, the game starts now (no ran out of time message), but the screen is just black after the countdown (the music is playing). I hate to be difficult, but that's how it is :) I have SL4 and I'm running Win7. Tried in both IE9 and FF.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:25 PM
  • As a side note: this app does require silverlight 4. I haven't tested to make sure the web page forces that update or not yet.

Ok, the game starts now (no ran out of time message), but the screen is just black after the countdown (the music is playing). I hate to be difficult, but that's how it is :) I have SL4 and I'm running Win7. Tried in both IE9 and FF.

I'll have to get back with you. In the meantime reinstalling silverlight might help. I run win7 on my home dev machine IE8 and firefox. I've tested on several other machines with the same os and have not been able to replicate either issue. :(

Monday, April 04, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

It's good. Thanks for sharing.

Look forward to your next works.

Regards

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:41 AM