none
"Your browser/operating system is not supported" ?? IE7/WinXP

Question

• Are the different departments of Microsoft running around like chickens with their heads cut off?  It's bad enough that Vista tells my IT clients that there is a solution available to fix issue xyz on their computers and then takes them to a Microsoft web page that states, "this fix is not for vista."   Now I have to endure the same idiotic endless loop programming mentality on my own WinXP machine, running IE7, trying to watch Bill Gates keynote speech via Microsoft silverlight. 

I am running a purchased, validated copy of WinXP Pro SP2 and IE7 (yes, I also have firefox and safari installed) and it seems almost every page I go to at microsoft.com I am presented with the extremely annoying SILVERLIGHT installation popup.  I have tried installing silverlight from within both IE7 & Firefox 2.0.11, with the installation program telling me the same thing each time, that my browser/operating system is not supported.  No error number to look up.  Just a link to the support page which lists my exact browser/operating system as what is needed to enjoy the supposed rich experiences of MS silverlight. 

This is beyond funny.  This is beyond being embarrassed for Microsoft.  This is beyond what anyone should have to go through.  I recommend Microsoft pick 5 of their top web app programmers and have them sit down for a day and hammer out silverlight's installation routines.  (or half hour as the case may end up being)  Forget huge teams, managers, charts/graphs, timelines.  Forget overthinking everything for once in your "every-product-released-in-beta-stage-using-the-public-as-beta-testers" lifetime and simply have a small group of programmers make something work for a damn change.

I can't even type in any tags below this comment window because it is trying to "guess" what tags I am typing and writing them inline with my words.  What the F!?!?!?  I enjoy suggested word completion when it is like other STANDARDS-based sites and have the words show up slightly below where I am typing, giving me the option of choosing it or not.  Don't complete my words for me by overwriting my text.  What morons.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:34 AM

Answers

• It's the pre-athlon processors that aren't supported, so that's surprising. Either way, I'm sorry it didn't install for you.

As far as sticking with Flash and Apple products, the only thing Flash really has going is that it is pre-installed on many machines (something that gets MS in hot water every time they do the same thing). See Tim Heuer's blog for what the Flash install experience is like.

BTW, I know what you mean about the popup here. For a time, I refused to allow Flash on my PC, and I had dialog after dialog come up on a ton of sites. Again, the bad detect/install code is not unique to Silverlight, just more annoying since adoption isn't as high yet. :)

Pete

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:15 PM

All replies

• I just spent some time reading other posts of issues with silverlight and I am shocked.  "HKCR registry edit this" and "HKCR permissions for user that" WHAT?!  Is silverlight for the general public, the everyday user of XP/Vista, or is it strictly for developers?  By the looks of the proposed "solutions," silverlight has absolutely no use being offered (forced?) as an installation option when visiting any site, let alone Microsoft's.

Being an old school MCSE, I have spent my fair share of time editing registry keys.  I refuse to spend any more time in that hell hole of an environment simply to install a web browser plugin.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit OS? I've seen issues with 64 bit versions at the moment.

AMD or Intel processor? Some very old AMD processors aren't supported as Silverlight requires the SSE instruction set.

Finally, I recommend using only Silverlight 1.0 right now. Uninstall all Silverlight and install only 1.0, unless you specifically want to play with 1.1. Some of the installation issues have come about because of the 1.1 alpha - something that end users (not developers) shouldn't really have on their machines anyway.

The registry problem seems to be one of those multiple uninstall/reinstall problems caused by the alpha or at least related to playing around with multiple installs.

Pete

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:58 AM
  • Hey Pete, thanks for your reply.  

The cpu may be the issue then because it's a 32bit AMD Athlon 2600 running at 800mhz with 2GB Ram.  I guess I'm fine with the cpu not being supported.  Things evolve etc.  However, why not say that in the installation error message, or at least list that as a reason on the support page linked to in the installation failure message?  That's what gets me going, error messages that don't say what the error was.  All it told me was the os and browser weren't supported, yet my os and browser are supported.  I have never installed 1.1, only tried to install 1.0. Since I've never been able to successfully install it, I have never been able to uninstall.

I'm still left with the annoyance at all the MS web pages that have the silverlight installation popup div, telling me to install it.  I had to refresh this forum page twice so I could click reply before the silverlight installation popup opened.  Once it's open, nothing else on the page is clickable and there is no close button on the popup.  Absolutely, positively bad programming & bad design.   The popup should at least have a close button, or an ignore button that stores a cookie on my system to prevent future popups.  The silverlight installation should probably check what cpu I'm running before continuing with the installation and/or give me a clearer explanation of why it fails.

Thanks again for your reply.  I'll stick to Flash and Apple products.

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:37 PM
  • It's the pre-athlon processors that aren't supported, so that's surprising. Either way, I'm sorry it didn't install for you.

As far as sticking with Flash and Apple products, the only thing Flash really has going is that it is pre-installed on many machines (something that gets MS in hot water every time they do the same thing). See Tim Heuer's blog for what the Flash install experience is like.

BTW, I know what you mean about the popup here. For a time, I refused to allow Flash on my PC, and I had dialog after dialog come up on a ton of sites. Again, the bad detect/install code is not unique to Silverlight, just more annoying since adoption isn't as high yet. :)

Pete

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Hi: 

Is there a way to not get the silverlight installation prompt?  I get it at practically every MS site and its getting annoying.  I may look into installing it in the future, but not now.

Fred

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:38 PM