none
RTW - Silverlight enabled WCF server template missing?

Question

• After installing the latest RTW tools for Visual Studio, I don't see the Silverlight enabled WCF service template anymore when creating new projects.  I have noticed this behavior on two separate computers.  I haven't seen any documentation saying that this was officially removed from the RTW version.  Am I the only one with this problem?  Any ideas on how to fix it?  I'm running VS 2008 Developer Team edition.

Thanks.

Todd

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

• Yes, I had double checked already to make sure that I was targeting 3.5.  However, I did discover the source of the problem and it turns out that it was my silly mistake.  The template is displayed when I add a new item to an existing project, but for some reason I was looking for it instead when I added a new project to the solution and it's not displayed at that time.  It's a non-issue now.

Thanks.

Todd

Friday, October 17, 2008 2:02 AM

All replies

• I have installed RTW on a new machine and could see the template in VS.

Have you tried this on any other machine? What happens if you reinstall SL Tools for VS?

Please mark the post as 'Answered' if this Answers your question

Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:48 AM
  • I tried the reinstall for the SL Tools and have the same result.  It happens on 2 different computers, but I have not tried on a completely new machine that did not previously have beta 2 and RC 0 installed (and uninstalled prior to installing RTW).  It's an inconvenience more than anything as I can always still make the changes manually to a regular WCF service.  I assume if more people aren't reporting it then it must not be a widespread issue.

Thanks.

Todd

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Can you make certain you are targetting the correct framework version? (3.5)

Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Yes, I had double checked already to make sure that I was targeting 3.5.  However, I did discover the source of the problem and it turns out that it was my silly mistake.  The template is displayed when I add a new item to an existing project, but for some reason I was looking for it instead when I added a new project to the solution and it's not displayed at that time.  It's a non-issue now.

Thanks.

Todd

Friday, October 17, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Same issue.  Did you find a fix?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:00 AM
  • You need to add a WCF service as a new item to an existing project (even if it's a new project that you just created), instead of trying to create a new WCF project from scratch.  At least that was the solution to my problem.  It would be nice if there was a project template too so we could avoid the additional step, but it's not really that much additional effort.

Todd

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Perhaps it is not the same issue.  On the screen at the link http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/silverlight-tutorial-part-1-creating-quot-hello-world-quot-with-silverlight-2-and-vs-2008.aspx, there is a shot of the Visual Studio installed templates that appear when you go to File | New Project.   There are two in the screen shot on that link.  One is for a "Silverlight Application" and the other is for a "Silverlight Class Library".  On the left side of that screen there is a Project type called "Silverlight".

I tried to reboot after installing the Expression Blend Studio and the March 2009 Silverlight toolkit (and sp1 for vs2008) hoping some magic might occur that would put the template there.  The screen shot shows a Vista machine or a Server 2008 machine.  Now I beginning to wonder if Silverlight only works with the Vista platform. 

Currently I run Windows Enterprise Server 2003 on my laptop.   It maintains performance using the squared off windows and I guess my question now is, do I need to have something special installed on Windows 2003 to get a Silverlight Project Type Template to appear in the project types (New Project C# or VB, don't care really... either would do).  Note, that if there is an x86 only platform involved, it could be problematic as I am running SQL FILESTREAM which excludes x86 services from running.  Something to that effect.  After installing it, many of the services that ran on my machine (for example, MagicDisk or winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe - actually even the 64 bit version does not work... ISORecorderV2AMD64.msi  "This installation package could not be opened."  In short, I am not sure if there isn't a cross-platform issue here.  Guess I will have to leave it there.

Thanks for the reply.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:56 AM