none
Silverlight 4, Netflix, Sandboxie

Question

• Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com) is a security software many of us use to protect our browsing experience from virus-infected banner ads and the like. Sandboxie essentially isolates program execution and prevents permanent change to the hard disk and registry. More can be learned about how it works at the link.

Recently, Silverlight was updated from version 3 to version 4. This has evidently introduced a new way of handing DRM content. Both version 3 and version 4 work fine when running without Sandboxie; although Netflix's player is still built on version 3 from what I can tell. If we bring Sandboxie into the picture, version 3 works fine.. but the new version 4 gives the error:

---

Digital Rights Management (DRM) Error
    Error Code: N8151

We're sorry, but there is a problem playing protected (DRM) content on your system.

To resolve this problem:

1. Close your browser.
    2. Then reopen the browser and try playing again.

If the problem persists, call Netflix at ...

---

The author of Sandboxie lives outside the US/Canada/etc and is unable to use Netflix in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Sandboxie is able to allow direct, modifiable, access to files and registry entries when specified. I have tested it with the
    full access allowance of the Microsoft Silverlight directory under Program Files, yet the error still occurs.

So, I have two questions. Would it be possible for someone to tell us exactly what Silverlight needs access to; most likely
    the problem area would be slightly external to the normal execution of Silverlight and be part of the difference between Silverlight 3
    and Silverlight 4.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, does anybody know of a website/service/etc, that can be accessed from outside the US/Canada/etc,
    which uses Silverlight's DRM model? This could be used as an aid in resolving this and further issues.

I have an open thread on Sandboxie's forums in relation to this issue as well: http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8130&start=30

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

•  It has been fixed. The details are in the post link above.

It was some change in Silverlight between version 3 and 4 that resulted in a prevention of access to the audio device, and this prevention disabled the ability for Silverlight players to do anything (including video).

Perhaps your Silverlight Development Team would consider setting up a non-geo-fenced DRM demo player on the Silverlight website for developers to test things like this? This way things could be checked in an officially provided and efficient manner.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• So it sounds like eveything works fine when Sandboxie is turned off - correct? If so, then this is not really a question that we can answer in this forum, since it sounds like they are making substantial modifications to the browser's environment. The Sandboxie team should contact Microsoft Developer Support for assistance. 

There is a publicly hosted PlayReady + Silverlight example at http://web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html - I don't believe it is geofenced.

- Tom

Tom Taylor  |  Microsoft Silverlight

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:08 PM
  •  It has been fixed. The details are in the post link above.

It was some change in Silverlight between version 3 and 4 that resulted in a prevention of access to the audio device, and this prevention disabled the ability for Silverlight players to do anything (including video).

Perhaps your Silverlight Development Team would consider setting up a non-geo-fenced DRM demo player on the Silverlight website for developers to test things like this? This way things could be checked in an officially provided and efficient manner.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hello,

I just got off the Phone with Netflix and they have a semi-simple fix (This was for Win 7-All versions)

******* This will delete your permissions for downloaded content already on your computer (such as Music from Zune, Windows Media Player, Etc)*******

1: Start

2:Type  Run in the Search Bar

3:Type: %programdata% and hit enter

4: Double Click on Microsoft

5: Double click Play Ready

6: right click mspr.hds and delete

7: Close all windows and explorers

8: you should be good to watch Netflix now, Go give it a try!!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:57 AM