none
Uninstall Silverlight

Question

• There was an error in attempting to upgrade to the Beta version now I am unable to uninstall Silverlight.  I go to Control Panel and "Add or Remove Programs".  I click on Microsoft Silverlight and "Remove".  I get an error "The installation source for this product is not available.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."  Attempts to reinstall meet with errors as well.  How do I get rid of this thing???

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Make sure you have Uninstalled all Silverlight Components ( Runtime + SDK ).

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:19 AM
  • I am unable to install any of Silverlight following the normal uninstall process listed by Microsoft as I described in my posting.  I need another process in order to complete the uninstall.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:17 AM
  • Is your issue specific to just the runtime.  Or, did you install the tools as well?

Some people have had trouble with tools beta 1 and visual studio 2008 sp1 beta.  If you fall into this category, I would recommend taking a look at: http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/SP1InstallInfo/

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:44 PM
  • Hi

Please try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:36 PM
  • That did the trick!  Thanks for recommending this tool.  I can use it to clean up some other applications that can't seem to find the source.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:40 PM
  • I feel as if i am being ran in circles.  this link doesn't take you to a Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.  This is to an Office uninstall  "Fix It" for office.  There are some search links on the right and these as well run me around in circles.

Does anyone have the direct link to this utility and can you tell me if you can use it on window 7?

Hi

Friday, August 13, 2010 11:54 PM
  • I guess the best option is to download and install Silverlight again. This should correct any corrupt installation settings and restore the uninstall entry. Hope it helps. Smile

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:28 PM
  • No, it did not help.  what's with these infinity loops you people keep trying to send people on...lol geeze.   and the uninstall msi tool that everyone keeps pointing to has been removed from that sight...  what did help was a forum piece i found that said to remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100

and remove any folders.  this worked.. 

Couldn't find the forum piece to return to again to let people know this worked for me.  but i have windows 7.  have heard this doesn't work  with xp but cannot confirm.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:36 PM
  • This no longer exists on this page.  says so in the middle of it. 

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:37 PM
  • I feel as if i am being ran in circles.  this link doesn't take you to a Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.  This is to an Office uninstall  "Fix It" for office.  There are some search links on the right and these as well run me around in circles.

Does anyone have the direct link to this utility and can you tell me if you can use it on window 7?

Hi

This cleanup utility does not exist any longer.  it has been removed.  removing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 and removing the microsoft silverlight folder works for anyone looking for a real solution.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:40 PM

Hi

This cleanup utility does not exist any longer.  it has been removed. .........

You are correct the "cleanup utility" does not appear to be available as a download due to some issues with its use.

We had the same Uninstall/Reinstall issue with our local Silverlight installation.  We were not able to uninstall using the Add/Remove control panel, nor were we able to reinstall/update to a later installation of Silverlight.  The process "failed" due to a missing component.

A note to MS Silverlight Support resulted in very precise instructions to do everything we had already described as having completed AND instructions to use the "MS Windows Installer Cleanup Utility". The utility was attached to the message with assurance that it would not create problems with our MS Office installation if we used the Cleanup Utility correctly to remove Silverlight then "restart the computer" and "reinstall Silverlight" from the MS SL website.

MS WinXP Pro, IE8, and Firefox browsers in use.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:16 AM