none
Silverlight + Windows 8

Question

• Hi, people.

I am confuse about the Microsoft plans to Silverlight.

This seems like: there are no plans to Silverlight !!!
    Is this true?

Now, in Windows 8 and the new hardware (Windows Tablet), is just the time to a rich interface base on web.
    And the HTML5 pass far way from produtivity if compared with Silverlight. And there is a lot of features which HTML5 is weak.

I think it is a non sense the Silverlight don't have a new version.

What to do? Must we go to HTML5 or preserve the investments using Silverlight?
    Is there a future to this excelent product?

Can we plan new softwares (SaaS, in special) to Metro interface using Silverlight?

I hope some one from Microsoft (a employee, mainly) do answer this important question.

Thanks. Have a nice day trip!

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:07 AM

Answers

• I think you'll get no answer from Microsoft employees on this question.

First it is a strategic question, and if something official must be said about SL it will not be an answer in a forum... So stop dreaming :-)

Second, you'll have to deal with the fact that SL is not included in Metro Style. But Metro Style can be programmed using C#/Xaml in a way very similar to Silverlight.

So all depends if you think the name is important or not. Silverlight is C#/Xaml running in a sandbox. WinRT with C#/Xaml has the same definition...

Now, for the Web, plugins have lost the figth against the Steve Jobs hatred against Flash. But only for public Wbe sites. In enterprises, for intranet or extranet, Silverlight is still very used and until MS does not say it is stopped, it is the best choice.

Somewhere in the constants of Windows 8 there is a test against Silverlight V6. Is this a clue that a V6 will be created ? it is just a test that will be dropped from the final version of Windows 8 ? nobody knows...

If you plan to develop public web sites, I think than SL is no more a good choice, not because of MS choices, because of the reality... because of the HTML 5 dream (that is dead since it has recently forked), because of steve Jobs, his ghost, ... because is no more "cool". No matter why. Reality is plugins like Flash or SL are not the right way to build public web sites today. This can be different tomorrow.

Today, public web sites must be written using a good plateform like ASP.NET using a well implemented standard such as HTML 3 or 4, with a bit of Ajax.

For all other situations, Silverlight is still the best tool and must choosen until MS says it's over.

Will MS say SL is really stopped this year, next year or in 10 years ?

Sure I'd like to get the answer too. But MS will not speak about SL before Windows 8 and WP8 will be released, surely. They are too much focussed on Windows 8 (and we can understand why) to speak about anything else.

Just wait and see..

Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:55 PM

All replies

• I think you'll get no answer from Microsoft employees on this question.

First it is a strategic question, and if something official must be said about SL it will not be an answer in a forum... So stop dreaming :-)

Second, you'll have to deal with the fact that SL is not included in Metro Style. But Metro Style can be programmed using C#/Xaml in a way very similar to Silverlight.

So all depends if you think the name is important or not. Silverlight is C#/Xaml running in a sandbox. WinRT with C#/Xaml has the same definition...

Now, for the Web, plugins have lost the figth against the Steve Jobs hatred against Flash. But only for public Wbe sites. In enterprises, for intranet or extranet, Silverlight is still very used and until MS does not say it is stopped, it is the best choice.

Somewhere in the constants of Windows 8 there is a test against Silverlight V6. Is this a clue that a V6 will be created ? it is just a test that will be dropped from the final version of Windows 8 ? nobody knows...

If you plan to develop public web sites, I think than SL is no more a good choice, not because of MS choices, because of the reality... because of the HTML 5 dream (that is dead since it has recently forked), because of steve Jobs, his ghost, ... because is no more "cool". No matter why. Reality is plugins like Flash or SL are not the right way to build public web sites today. This can be different tomorrow.

Today, public web sites must be written using a good plateform like ASP.NET using a well implemented standard such as HTML 3 or 4, with a bit of Ajax.

For all other situations, Silverlight is still the best tool and must choosen until MS says it's over.

Will MS say SL is really stopped this year, next year or in 10 years ?

Sure I'd like to get the answer too. But MS will not speak about SL before Windows 8 and WP8 will be released, surely. They are too much focussed on Windows 8 (and we can understand why) to speak about anything else.

Just wait and see..

Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Thank you for your clear answer.

I am sad. But I will pay attention about the Silverlight news and redirect my plans to ASP.Net.

About Metro, I'll invest efforts to study it better.

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Ricardo,

Killing SL to protect Metro will end up being a huge mistake, because Metro will be severely stunted in its otherwise record and phenomenal growth, because the learning curve is so steep, except for SL developers.

They will still have really high growth in Metro, but will be significantly hampered by the lack of developers.  If they hadnt killed SL there would be thousands more developers who would be available when Metro launches and the entire world goes "WOW!"

So, they will lose billions because they killed SL to save money.  Ironic isnt it?

You can win out of this situation because there will be 25 developer jobs in Metro for every developer out there, once it is released and grows fantastically.  MS's "problem" (if being extremely successul can be seen as a problem) will be your doubling of income for a few years.

Daniel

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Killing SL to protect Metro will end up being a huge mistake

Well, "killing Silverlight" is certainly a shame. But who is killing it ? MS or the market ?

I'm sure that you do not realize the problem of MS : they created Windows Mobile and the Origami concept, and they failed to be present on the Smartphone market and on the tablet market ... A double fail.

Windows is still present on most PC, but PC are _no more_ 100% of the market for OS and softwares...

At this time, either MS find a way to be present on those markets, or they will become one among several OS suppliers, specialized in PC, a market that is dying...

MS is like someone drowning. Windows 8 is their last hope, like a life buoy.

They can't communicate on 10 targets. Yes WPF is ultra cool, yes Silverlight is one of the best technology ever, but it is not possible to speak about these products that already have "their time".

The market, and not MS, has changed since the launch of Silverlight. The fast growth of tablet and smartphone markets, the Android success (nobody was thinking a web search engine will be able to become an OS editor able to take 68,1% of the European market !), etc...

In this world of mobile devices, native application are the right way because it is the user choice...

No more web on these devices. Native apps.

So even if MS wanted to be present everywhere with Silverlight this will fail cause of this important fact : native apps have won the game. And since Silverlight is a Web technology, not a native on (apart on Windows Phone 7), Silverlight can no more be the "universal" solution everybody was looking for...

That's why even HTML 5 is a fail. That's why they recently forked, because they know the job was too slow for the market. The game is over for HTML 5. Too late.

So do not cry for Silverlight, the world has changed in a way that was not predictable there is a few years ago.  If things were different, Silverlight would perhaps be the king ...

I'm sure there is an equivalent proverb in English, but from French , translated, whe say "with some "if" you could confine Paris in a bottle" ...

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:36 PM
  • first off,learn our damn language before you post a comment!i have no idea what the hell you are talking about!!!

Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:24 AM
  • No problem guy, read this answer in French, so we will see if your French is better than my English. Perhaps you'll be more respectful !

Pas de problème, on va voir si tu ton français est au moins du niveau de mon anglais mon gars.. Alors comme ça tu comprends mieux ?

Silverlight est mort, mort de la haine de Sinofsky pour C#/Xaml. Cela n'a rien à voir avec le marché.

Microsoft a l'habitude de maintenir des logiciels pour le monde de l'entreprise qui sont presque inconnus, ils ont aussi longtemps créés des solutions qui ne marchaient uniquement que sur IE.

S'il était évident que les plugins comme SL n'étaient plus universels pour attaquer le marché grand public, il était tout aussi évident que SL était très apprécié en entreprise. Microsoft aurait pu, aurait du maintenir SL pour le marché professionnel, quitte à ne plus le maintenir que sur IE et sur PC.

La fin de l'universalité de SL est la faute de Jobs et de sa haine contre Flash. La fin réelle de SL est de l'unique faute de la haine de Sinofsky.

C'est une décision stupide car Microsoft n'a aucun produit alternatif à proposer d'aussi bonne qualité pour faire le boulot.

Mais c'est comme ça.

Olivier Dahan Dot.Blog : www.e-naxos.com/blog

Thursday, November 07, 2013 1:03 PM