none
Not generating ServiceReferences.ClientConfig in window XP while Adding WCF

Question

•  

Hi i have 2 operating system, one vista and one XP, when i am trying to add WCF as add web reference , it not generating ServiceReferences.ClientConfig or not updating i change setting where we explictly mention generate Config but still not updating or modifying why any one have any idea.

but it working in vista , i think window XP causing prob 

any idea how to get out from this prob

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:17 PM

Answers

• I think I found the problem.

When I reconfigured the service in the web.config file to use basicHttpBinding instead of the default wsHttpBinding then removed and re added the reference it seemed to create a config file as I would expect.

I would expect this is because Silverlight doesn't support wsHttpBinding, but it should at least create the config file then show you any errors in it should it not ???

I guess the trick is to check through the config file on the server, make a few changes then it should work.

Oh by the way ... don't forget when re adding the reference to delete the old .clientconfig file.

Hope this helps :)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashok Kumar,

ServiceReferences.ClientConfig or not updating i change setting where we explictly mention generate Config but still not updating or modifying why any one have any idea.

Do you mean that your Web Service reference settings(ServiceName.ClientConfig) cannot be created automatically when you use "Add Service Reference"?   Where is your Web Service?   Can it be accessed when browser it directly?    Also, when you input the address and click "Discover" Button, can you get the Service method? If all these don't work, please check your environments, such as whether Windows xp SP3 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1(if you are using VS2008) have been installed properly, all the Silverlight related components etc.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Hi Ashok Kumar,

Got your problem in your another thread.  Please check my reply on that thread.  Here, I will mark this thread as "Resolved".  Please feel free to discuss your problem there.  Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Hi Ashok Kumar,

Got your problem in your another thread.  Please check my reply on that thread.  Here, I will mark this thread as "Resolved".  Please feel free to discuss your problem there.  Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Actually Jonathon you're wrong.

The problem in the other thread is different to this one.

The other problem is relating to something specific within the config file, this thread talks about the client config file not be generated / being generated incorrectly.

I have this problem ...

When I reference my fully working WCF service on my localhost IIS instance (which i know is working because i can browse to it), it imports the relevant stuff like the wsdl description and generates a config file with nothing the base "configuration" element in it.

This is annoying as when I try to instantiate an instance of the service client class (generated by added the reference), I get complaints from the silverlight framework relating to configuration so I am unable to make service calls on that proxy class.

Monday, January 25, 2010 5:46 AM
  •  

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply, both are 2 seprate issuse, which i tried to keep in different thread, so next time if any one get , they get proper answer,

1st prob was not able to access from IIS,

2nd prob , client Config not generating while in develop enviornment, yesterday i found very wired prob, i had bussinees application there if i add web refence i can see generated client config file but i noticed in widdow xp i cna not see generated file,

and this prob is very simple if u dont face such issue , but if you face you will get stop.

Thanks and Regards 

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:19 AM
  •  Hi Ashok,

I had same problem but I am not sure whether its exactly same to my problem or not.

Are using basichttpbinding as a binding protocol or not? recheck it in web.config at WCF side.

Are you getting any error while generating proxy at client site?

Just have a look at  this linkIt might help you understand your problem.

Best of luck.

Avtar

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:06 AM
  • I think I found the problem.

When I reconfigured the service in the web.config file to use basicHttpBinding instead of the default wsHttpBinding then removed and re added the reference it seemed to create a config file as I would expect.

I would expect this is because Silverlight doesn't support wsHttpBinding, but it should at least create the config file then show you any errors in it should it not ???

I guess the trick is to check through the config file on the server, make a few changes then it should work.

Oh by the way ... don't forget when re adding the reference to delete the old .clientconfig file.

Hope this helps :)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Thanks you are excatly right.

this problem happen due to binding,

i did one more test, if you take any normal WCF and try to add , ClientConfig, will not have any thing,because dfeult binding is wshttpbinig which silverlight dont supprot so it ll be blank,

but if you add Silverlight  WCF service you ll not have problem , because it ll create basic http binding so when u add this service it ll create client config file with all settings

Thanks Wardy for you research. 

Thanks and Regards

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:48 PM
  • This is an old thread, but for posterity, a solution that worked for me was to uncheck the box labeled "Reuse types in referenced assemblies" and when adding the reference (or before right clicking and updating the service reference).

Monday, March 19, 2012 12:26 PM