none
Possible Memory Leak?

General discussion

• Hi there,

I'm creating an application that uses a floor plan (an exported CAD drawing to XAML.)  The floor plan is approximately 1.4 megabytes big in text that has a canvas object and several thousand paths.  I download it using the download object and I render it with CreateFromXaml.  It works for a while, but once I start fooling with the scale or translate transforms, Microsoft Internet Explorer suddenly jumps to near 100% CPU usage cycles and crashes.

The thing is that this application works with smaller less detailed floor plans with no problems whatsoever.  Is there an upper limit to the number of things that Silverlight can handle before it bombs with a memory leak?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:25 PM

All replies

• Has no one else encountered this problem?

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:07 AM
  • There are some performance issues with Silverlight when a lot of objects are used. Try to set ball count to 512 in this test

http://bubblemark.com/silverlight_clr.htm

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:18 PM
  • Performance issues is one thing, I think this is a memory leak because Internet Explorer starts taking up processor cycles (upwards to 98%) and needs to be terminated.

I think I may have isolated the problem.

I use thousands of Path objects that I exported from a CAD to XAML.  The export contains the following tags that seem to take up huge amounts of memory to render, resize and transform:

StrokeStartLineCap="Round"
    StrokeEndLineCap="Round"
    StrokeLineJoin="Round"
    StrokeDashArray="287.975677,143.987793"

It seems when I removed those tags, Silverlight's performance improved and the memory leak stopped.

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:23 PM
  • I don't really understand how 98% or even 100% of the CPU usage are connected to any memory leaks. When you look at the Task Manager does it show that IE eats memory?

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Turns out that RC1 actually fixes this problem!

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:47 PM