none
How do I disable the popups asking me to install/update Silverlight?

Question

• I've used hotmail for years.  I don't want to stop using it.  But every time I go to the site to check my mail, I get a string of three popups notifying me that I don't have the right Silverlight for the web page.  I don't plan to install it.  I don't care about the content on the page, I don't want to see videos, hear sounds, or what have you, I just want the link to my hotmail.  How do I stop these popups from intruding every time I bring up the site? 

Monday, February 15, 2010 4:16 PM

All replies

• I don't know the answer of your question. I'm just curious about which hotmail page requires you to install Silverlight,  I don not see anything in my Hot Mail page that could require Silverlight.

By the way, the Silverlight content is not necessarily a video or some commercial ad. Mostly likely it is not, because for that purpose, it still a safer bet to use Flash to do it. When we say Silverlight is like a Flash plug-in, people tend to think Silverlight is only good for deliver videos or some visual cool effects. It can do those things, but not the main reason most developers in this forum trying to do. Most people here are trying to develop real business web applications with Silverlight.

If a page requires you to install Silverlight, it could be the whole page or some major controls on the page that are written in Silverlight. For example, if you ever used MSN's Portfolio Manager, the new version is totally in Silverlight. You would find the new one gives user a total different experience. Or if you use Bing Map, they have a new beta version that is written in Silverlight. I found it is much cooler than the current version.

Monday, February 15, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Well, the page is the one you get when you type in www.hotmail.com which nowadays redirects to login.live.com/etc etc etc. 

I have no doubt that there are all sorts of nifty goodies MSN would like to engage my attention with; the vigor with which they're pushing Bing is a good indicator.  All I want is to check my mail, and as you noted, once I'm past that intro page, there's no need for Silverlight to check my mail.  I just can't get past it without being hit, three times, with an annoying popup whose only two buttons are "Install Now" and "Ask Me Later."  I don't want to do either, and MS is being pushy to force it down our throats like that.

Monday, February 15, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I just tried to go to http://www.hotmail.com from a computer with no Silverlight installed, got redirected to http://login.live.com/login.srf, but I didn't get the Silverlight install prompt.

Monday, February 15, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Yeah, how do I stop these pop-ups? I'm not interested to install Silverlight. I think I already had one but it still keeps on popping up everytime I visit the site.

Monday, February 15, 2010 9:41 PM
  •  Me too, used a no Silverlight computer browse to hotmail. But no silverlight intall prompt.

I do checked there seems to be nothing on that page requires silverlight.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

were you able to resolve this situation? I keep getting a msg to install Silverlight when I reply to emails. It won't let me reply and even when I install, still won't let me. This is very irritating. Pls let me know if you have a solution.

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:33 PM
  • I am pro Silverlight and wanted to see if MS is really starting to push for Silverlight installs via hotmail.  

I loaded up a VM with no Silverlight, created a hotmail account and sent some messages to myself.  

ZERO prompts to install Silverlight.   I have actually gotten several prompts to upgrade Flash from the MSN site in the last 3 months.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Yes... I have the same problem and have for days. I've tried clicking "Yes" "no" and nothing happens.  Just freezes the entire screen and only by pressing Ctr-Alt-Del and ending the program can I get my computer back.  It does NOT happen on gmail or yahoo... ONLY on Hotmail which I am ready to change but have old business there.  

I have tried ending ALL pop-ups, allowing all pop-up and selection of pop-ups but NOTHING CHANGES! 

It freezes up and I cannot send or reply to my e-mails.  I can't even read the portion of the e-mail that is behind the stupid flag??

Anyone... Bueller??  Anyone??  HELP??

Not a Silverlight fan anymore! 

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:55 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with the pop ups on hotmail when I try to send a new email message.  I've had a lot of malware on my laptop and after downloading several malware protection softwares still had them.  So I deleted a few of my 'add ons' and that's when I started getting the pop ups.  I must have deleted one associated with Silverlight.  If anyone knows which one it would be, please let me know.  Thanks.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:07 PM