none
How to setup a solution for modularity

Question

• Hi,
    it's not too long I've been playing with the awesome MEF technology ad the Deployment Catalog functionality.

So now in my solutions, I'm generally tend to have a web project and a "core" silverlight project linked togheter and using RIA Services as needed. Plus,  I add some "satellite SL solutions" that produce xaps that I dynamically download and usewith MEF. Great.

But now it's time to grow up and what I really miss is the possibility to have these satellite projects each one having its own RIA service context derived from its own RIA service's Domain model, not depending of the couple main web project - core silverlight project.

So, I'm looking for a solution setting to achieve me to decouple "satellite projects" to the core, but leveraging ria services maintaining an easy way to deploy all to a unique web directory in IIS.

Hope it's clear what I meant.

Best regards and tnx in advance! :)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:25 AM

Answers

• look here, section Silverlight-specific functionality

Also, you do not need to implement anything specific just because you are planning to use MEF. Look at source code of several RIA enabled application and then just add MEF using

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:24 PM
  • a solution setting to achieve me to decouple "satellite projects" to the core, but leveraging ria services maintaining an easy way to deploy all to a unique web directory in IIS.

Hi a.pierini!

It sounds to me that your RIA services would have to be set up as what MEF calls a Module. You can reference to that module from any other module, make it a dependent module if you want MEF to create and maintain the module-module relationship for you. The MEF catalog will do the "administration".

I guess this article will give you a head-start on how to implement a selfcontaining RIA service. MEF will do the rest of the heavy lifting if you prepare the components!

Good luck!

Peter

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What do you mean?

Prism + MEF or only MEF?

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

only MEF is ok for me,

don't know if is clear what I mean...

... something like

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/218132.aspx

tnk!

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:49 AM
  • look here, section Silverlight-specific functionality

Also, you do not need to implement anything specific just because you are planning to use MEF. Look at source code of several RIA enabled application and then just add MEF using

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:24 PM
  • a solution setting to achieve me to decouple "satellite projects" to the core, but leveraging ria services maintaining an easy way to deploy all to a unique web directory in IIS.

Hi a.pierini!

It sounds to me that your RIA services would have to be set up as what MEF calls a Module. You can reference to that module from any other module, make it a dependent module if you want MEF to create and maintain the module-module relationship for you. The MEF catalog will do the "administration".

I guess this article will give you a head-start on how to implement a selfcontaining RIA service. MEF will do the rest of the heavy lifting if you prepare the components!

Good luck!

Peter

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:45 AM