Netflix Silverlight Problems

Question

•  I keep downloading the Silverlight Program but keep getting a message that I need to download it. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Friday, April 17, 2009 6:28 PM

Answers

•  

In the internet explorer options.  On the programs tab press the manage addons button.  Make sure that Microsoft Silverlight is enabled.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• What version are you downloading?  Did you try to remove all your versions in Add remove programs then cleanly download it?

Friday, April 17, 2009 9:04 PM
  •  

what happens when you go to this website?

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx

Friday, April 17, 2009 9:10 PM
  •  

When I go to that site it starts the download but again later states I need to install. It. I have been trying this for two days.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:24 PM
  •  

Silverlight 2.0.Oh yes I do this again and again and each time I refresh my browser it tells me I need to download it.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I assume you are a Netflix subscriber...I heard their support is pretty good.  Have you tried calling them?

Are you doing this on a Mac or a PC?

Friday, April 17, 2009 9:47 PM
  •  Yes I have been on the phone with them several times with no success. This computer is only three months old and is in tip top shape so I am stumped.

Friday, April 17, 2009 9:55 PM
  •  PC with Vista

Friday, April 17, 2009 10:08 PM
  • What browser are you using?  If you go into Add/Remove programs what versions do you have installed?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:05 PM
  •  

In the internet explorer options.  On the programs tab press the manage addons button.  Make sure that Microsoft Silverlight is enabled.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I have done a clean installation of Silverlight, and it shows up in my programs list, but is NOT showing up in my Manage Add-Ons list, so I don't have the option of enabling it.

This is really frustrating as a few months ago Silverlight was working fine on my computer and then - with no perceptable change to anything on my system - it keeps telling me to install Silverlight before I can stream any Netflix movies.

The system I'm on now (above) is running XP, but I've had the same problem with another system running Windows 7.  Again, it was doing fine a few months ago and now just keeps telling me to install and install and install!

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:31 AM
  • SOLVED!  Just got off the phone with Pradip at Microsoft support (excellent help) and fixed the issue by resetting my IE settings.

In the Internet Explorer Menu Bar, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab (last tab on right) > Reset Internet Explorer Settings > Reset

BINGO!  When I restarted, went to Netflix's site, my current installation of Silverlight worked right away - no hassles.  whew.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Don't fight it... install and use Firefox... it works fine with Netflix

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:44 PM
  •  I keep downloading the Silverlight Program but keep getting a message that I need to download it. I keep doing the uninstall and install and once in a while it plays. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Saturday, May 07, 2011 12:39 AM
  • I have the exact same problem.  I intall/re-install Silverlist and Netflix says to install again.  I de-intall and install and it works ok. Then a few sign ons later it does the same thing.   I have both a XP and VISTA system with the same results, so I don't think it is operating system specific.

It appears Silverligh t is correctly installed but Netflix does not think so.   I called Netflix support and they say to contact Sliverlight.  I explain to Netflix that Silverlight is correctly installed and Netflix's software is looking at the wrong information.  But they insist that it is Sliverlight's problem and we should be contacting Silverlight support.

In my view, if Sliverlight is correctly installed and operating correctly then the Netflix software should not consider it not to be the case.   Netflix should be checking their software and fix the problem.

I don't know how to report this  problem to Silverlight so I am stuck. 

Strange that the last post was 2009.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 2:25 PM
  • 2.5 years later, I have been having the exact same problem described above. Read your answer and followed your advice and - viola - totally fixed the problem. So thank you!
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Hi All,

Please let me know whether you are using vista 64 bit or 32 bit?

How to check:

Press "Windows logo" Key and the "Pause break"  key simultaneously and check whether it's 64 bit or 32 bit,

I will post my Answer based on the version that you have.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:48 PM
  • I couldn't find this resolution! I called Netflix, then Microsoft, then they transferred me to Tech, then I installed assistant so they could be remote on my computer....my add-ins were disabled as recommended by IE8...including Silverlight! I uninstalled and reinstalled four times. So frustrating. Try this first. Nice job Ken Tucker.

Friday, November 04, 2011 10:20 PM