none
Silverlight App(s) won't run on Windows 8 preview

Question

• I tried an app I wrote that works on Win7 boxes. Using the Win8 Preview, IE just asks to rerun Silverlight Install. Same thing happens on the PlanetX demo game from the Silverlight site. Is there a trick to get the Win8 Preview to run it or is it true Silverlight is getting killed off for HTML5/Script (yuckkk!!@#$) If this is not true then MS needs to speak up LOUDLY. Writers are all over the Web with a Silverlight is dead/legacy story. Somebody please tell me now so I can cut my losses if I need to.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• are you running IE in slate or desktop?

SL is definitely in the app model for desktop mode.  I don't know if it works in the developer preview, but it will at least by the official release.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:24 PM
  • My Win8 Pad seems to install the SL, then the browser never accepts it. Do I need SL5 to make this work ? I can understand SL4 not included in the Preview, but not having working SL4 install for the Preview is giving ammo to the "SL is Dead" crowd. You guys should have a patch up quickly. I know the Preview was not a surprise to the SL team.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:37 PM
  • i believe pads are slate/metro only.  the metro version of IE doesn't support plugins (silverlight or flash).  the desktop version supports plugins, though.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:52 PM
  • From Jeremy on StackOverflow:You can run Silverlight apps just fine on the Windows 8 preview. The Metro version of IE supports no plug-ins - not Silverlight, not Flash, not anything else. Just drop into the desktop (for example, click the Windows Explorer icon) and launch the non-metro version of IE. Silverlight will work fine. You can even install out of browser (OOB) applications and a launch tile will appear for them on the Metro start page.

It sort of works. I had to recompile and deploy my app as OOB. Then I had to load my app using the "Desktop" browser. Then I could right click and "Install" my app to the system. A Tile does appear on the "Metro" desktop and when touched it activates the "Desktop" browser along with the "AERO desktop"(taskbar,start button). This is LAME. I now have this Win32 window hosting my Silverlight App(whcih is now a major pain to install and update) which ends up activating the "Aero Desktop" on a Touch computer. WTF. My app no longer automatically updates. The user experience for deployment, installation, and use is wacked. All this so the "Metro" browser could ignore the Silverlight plugin. I expect the Metro browser is the IE browser in kiosk mode so why the big deal at preventing Silverlight unless MS really does want to kill it off.

It looks like MS is trying to take control of Metro like Apple has with iOS via the AppStore. I assume we will now have to develop our apps WP7 style and deploy them using Marketplace WP7 style - unless we use HTML5/script ? For LOB developers this blows. I hate HTML/script in all it's forms. Complex LOB apps are much easier to develop in an RIA environment like SL. SL allows for object oriented programming without all the drek and complexity that HTML/script/ASP.Net/ajax/perl/ruby/etc.... bring to the table. Debugging a client happens in one place. I know HTML devs will say how easy it is to build stuff in HTML, but every article I read about a new way to do something in HTML, looks like "Lipstick on a Pig".

I am hoping a Silverlight PM will respond and tell us we just need to be patient and what the plan is. but the silence is deafening!

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:18 PM
  • It sort of works. I had to recompile and deploy my app as OOB.

Windows 8 preview came with 2 IEs(both IE10), one is in metro style, the other is in desk top style.  You can't use any plugin with the metro style IE.  But you can with the desk top version which can only be started from Desk top view. You can also install other browsers (FF, Chrome) which only shown in desk top view. Your silverlight application should just work without changing anything. You don't need recompile your app if you don't want it to be in the metro view.

Try any of the links in the Silverlight showcase such as the following in desk top IE: 

http://www.mahorney.net/

http://www.thomaswinzer.com/archivecat/

I think this is very comfusing. I don't know how end user would deal with this if we advanced developers have trouble to understand this.

Friday, September 16, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to refer to the link below for more information about windows 8.

http://weblogs.asp.net/dwahlin/archive/2011/09/17/why-i-m-excited-about-windows-8.aspx

Hope it can help you.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:39 AM
  • I have a SL4 LOB app, that works well in IE8, Firefox and Chrome, but doesn't work in Win 8 desktop browser. I get an access denied error msg every time the program riches the server's method via WCF RIA Servcices, that is annotated with reqiures authentication attribute. Anybody else experienced this issue? Gabor
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:36 AM