none
How To: Fix Silverlight install failure at 99%, code 1603 or generic Unknown Error

Question

• Greetings,

After spending almost two hours attempting to install Silverlight to no avail and reading countless threads and forums that did not have a solid solution, I wanted to share my findings for others who may run into this problem. I tried the registry fix "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Feature Control\FEATURE_ENABLE_SCRIPT_PASTE_URLACTION_IF_PRESENT" claiming to add yourself to the permissions in this directory but the directory did not exist. I even tried to create the directory then add myself to the folder but this did not work either. I tried using the Windows Installer cleanup utility both the msicuu2.exe which is removed from the Microsoft site and the utility which replaced msicuu2.exe, and had absolutely no luck with either. I even tried older versions of Silverlight, and the silverlight.exe (update file) not the Silverlight_x64.exe.

Here are the steps needed in order to solve this issue. For some reason when I was running Silverlight_x64.exe a temp folder which contains the install files was being placed on my secondary hard drive D:. I only found this out when I saw a quick blip on the screen with the directory of "D:\67769cc422fa655b44362b5c274e0682" flash on the screen. If you close Silverlight_x64.exe this directory disapears. What I did was opened Silverlight_x64.exe, waited for it to create D:\67769cc422fa655b44362b5c274e0682 copied the folder 67769cc422fa655b44362b5c274e0682 (this is a randomly generated name and changes each time it launches) and placed it into my C: drive like so, C:\67769cc422fa655b44362b5c274e0682. I then closed Silverlight_x64.exe, used winRAR on the file silverlight.7z and extracted Silverlight.msp. Right clicked on the properties of Silverlight.msp went to the security tab and added to the permissions Everyone and my user account with full control access rights. At this time I was PARTLY able to install Silverlight but was getting some strange error regarding the start menu icon (.lnk) located at "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Silverlight". I have a right click menu addon to "take owenship" of files on my computer (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/) I had to take ownership of "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows" which also takes ownership of "Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Silverlight". Just to be sure I also took ownership of the Start menu folder. I had to click retry a few times while I had Silverlight.msp open to have it install the short cut, after that it was installed! I hope this helps someone in need and saves them two hours of searching.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Ronin,

Thanks for the sharing with detailed solution.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Thank you! I created the posting though, I copied a snippet from an older post from Ronin.

From here down is Ronin:

Looks like roninmoto found the shortcut fix too but did not use the right click menu:

Re: Message ID: 1603

11-16-2010 02:48 PM

I had the same problem but found the solution on my own. I am using Windows 7 Ult 64 bit. What I found out that there was a permission problem with my system. I had not changed anything, but it seems that Windows didn't like my settings. To correct the problem here is what I did.

I am assuming you have no/little knowledge of how to use Windows, so forgive me if this a little in depth.

1. Click The Start button and double click My Computer. then double click on C (or whatever your main drive is). Then press the [ALT] key to bring up the menu. Click on Tools and then Folder Options. Click the VIEW tab and UNcheck the "Hide protected operating system files. Click APPLY and then click on APPLY to Folders, then ok. Click Ok again to close the dialog box.

2. You now should see a folder called ProgramData (Windows 7 and Vista, don't have soltuion for XP). Double click this folder. You should see a folder labeled Start Menu. Right mouse click on the folder and click on Properties. Then click on the Secutiry tab. The area at the top called Group or User Names, you will most likely only see your name listed there or the name of your user account. You have to add two more names in order for the install to work. Click on the edit button, then click on the add button and in the "Enter the object names to select" box put in the word administrators and then click on check names. As long as you typed it correctly, the new user will underscore and you can click OK. Now highlight the new user you created and down below under the section Permissions for Creator, click on Full Control.

3. Now we have to add the second user, CREATOR OWNER. Click Add then type it EXACTLY as shown. Click check names and then click OK. Then under the permissions for CREATOR OWNER click Full Control.

4. You will now have to to the same thing for the Microsoft folder (c:\ProgramData\Microsoft). Add the two same users (Administrators and CREATOR OWNER) and give them full control on the folder.

5. Then go into the Windows folder (c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows) and add the same two users to the Start Menu giving them full control as well.

6. If you have installed Silverlight, then go to the control panel and remove the program now. You will also need to clean up after silverlight. You need to get rid of all the temp files on the system. Windows Search basically sucks and is useless for this. Go to this website and download a program called search everything. it is free and can be found here: http://www.voidtools.com/download.php (Everything-1.2.1.371.exe (334kb)) Install the program and then run it. In the search function at the top type silverlight. Delete everything you find. (yeah it is a really cool tool, the fastest search you will ever find. I actually turned off my windows search function and only use this tool)

7. I don't think this made a difference for me but I use Kaspersky anti-virus for my system. I had disabled it and turned it off but still got the same install error before I made the changes to the folders. You may want to turn off your antivirus while you install the application just in case.

8. Re-install the application and it should work now. At least it did for me. You can get the lastest version of SilverLight from here: http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ronin

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:09 PM
  • that's really help, my client PC win7 32bit have silverlight 4 installed after trying uninstall and install, silverlight 5 not working...I tried 4 hours for in RDP on clients computer, delete a lot of data in reg...

OK, the simple steps you can try is here:

1. extract silverlight.exe to a local folder, like d:\silverlight\

2. give full control rights to everyone and your local account with d:\silverlight\silverlight.msp

3. double click d:\silverligjht\install.exe to install the silverlight5,

hope everything is OK for u

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:47 AM
  • I just need to add my two cents to this if I may:

Another cause of the failure at 99% is the setup program not being to be able to do something as simple as stick a shortcut into your start menu.

Your best bet is to analyse your SilverlightMSI.log file.

My issue was reported as:

MSI (s) (18:20) [18:59:38:579]: Product: Microsoft Silverlight -- Error 1317. An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Silverlight

Crazy thing is, this error message was hidden away 7/10th's of the way through the file. How clever :/

Anyway, changing the permissions on my start menu fixed things and then it installed fine.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:10 PM
  • May be service problem,data can not be loaded

Md. Shohel Rana

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 11:39 AM
  • I had been trying all day to install Silverlight, but continually received the Error code 1603 at 99%. The suggestions as offered by Microsoft to 'uninstall, then download and re-install proved useless. Using the forum, I found suggestions regarding security permissions, but they didn't work for a while, not being sufficiently drastic. I went through each and every possible folder, mainly as covered above, but adding a few more for good measure since I use D:\ for some programs. I simply went mad and entered 'everyone', 'user', 'administrators', myself, 'System' to just about every available and likely folder on both C:\ and D:\, and got the installation file on C:\download to ensure that it was on the right drive to start with. Then, for the umpteenth time made an attempt at installing Silverlight. To my intense surprise it worked!

As an octogenarian, I have no hair left, nor would I, had I been younger, due to the considerable frustration when absolutely nothing worked. Not even several versions of Microsoft FixIt. The problem of security and permissions is terribly irritating, especially when, after a clean installation of Win 7 Ult 64 bit, making no changes whatsoever, and then finding that 'I don't have permission' to do this, that or the other. and I feel sure that I am not alone in this respect.

It seems that Microsoft simply want to protect themselves, but are intent upon causing mayhem for the user. It is only through patience and perseverance that I have managed to keep the family's three computers going, and sheer stubbornness to succeed when all seemed lost. I am no computer expert, and sometimes when I succeed I have no idea of what I have done to achieve it. But then . . . . .  :-)

Friday, December 20, 2013 8:05 PM
  • I feel your pain, BritVik.

Here I go joining yet another forum in an attempt to solve yet another PC problem. You'd think by 2013 they'd have worked this stuff out.

Anyway, no luck installing Silverlight. I've deleted the old one, get to 99% on the install and get the failed message. Funny thing is when I go back to my program list, the Silverlight 1.0.0.0 I've just deleted is back again.

Tried adding "CREATOR OWNER" etc as mentioned above to various folders, but kept getting error messages like:

"An error occurred while applying security information to:

C\:ProgramData\Start menu

Access is denied."

Clicking continue just takes me around in circles.

Other ideas?

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:25 AM