none
Why doesn't IE9 recognize my Silverlight installation?

Question

• Hi, I just a couple of days ago started having problems with Silverlight. I'm running IE9 32-bit on Windows 7 Prof. 64-bit. The problem was web sites (or IE9 I guess) did't recognize Silverlight when it clearly was installed. So I click the "Get Silverlight 5" link on the MS Silverlight web site. It then wants me to run Silverlight_x64.exe which I don't think is correct. 64-bit Silverlight will not run in 32-bit IE, correct?

Instead I downloaded and installed the 32-bit version of Silverlight 5, but I'm back to the original problem of IE9 not recognizing Silverlight as installed.

What's going on here?

Thanks,

Tor.

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

You're right. 64-bit Silverlight runs fine even in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9. But that wasn't my problem, here's what I found out:

"ActiveX Filtering" had been turned on and that blocked Silverlight. I didn't know this when I was having the problem, but there's a tiny stop sign showing up to the right of the URL bar when ActiveX Filtering is on. The problem is this stop sign is far from visible enough to give me any kind of indication that this stops Silverlight (and Flash) from working. Since I hadn't consciously turned this option on I just didn't know to look for it either. And then the 32-bit vs 64-bit question threw me off, thinking that was the problem...

Problem solved!

Tor.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Tor,

Your Windows OS is 64 Bit. that's why  they display install 64 bit.

Download 64 Bit Silverlight and Install it.

Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Hi Jack,

You're right. 64-bit Silverlight runs fine even in the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9. But that wasn't my problem, here's what I found out:

"ActiveX Filtering" had been turned on and that blocked Silverlight. I didn't know this when I was having the problem, but there's a tiny stop sign showing up to the right of the URL bar when ActiveX Filtering is on. The problem is this stop sign is far from visible enough to give me any kind of indication that this stops Silverlight (and Flash) from working. Since I hadn't consciously turned this option on I just didn't know to look for it either. And then the 32-bit vs 64-bit question threw me off, thinking that was the problem...

Problem solved!

Tor.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:15 PM