Building a web site.

Question

•  I'm about to attempt building my first web site, is Silverlight something I should consider or does it require an understanding of programming to use properly?

Thanks you

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Madge,

Silverlight-Scenarios of course require a bit of C# or VB.NET-programming. If you consider Silverlight depends on what you want to do. This site has a learning-section where you can watch videos and get other stuff. If you're totally new, start here: www.silverlight.net/GetStarted

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:59 AM
  • If you are building your first website, I would recommend using HTML to understand the basics in making a web site. 

http://www.w3schools.com/

Silverlight development does require understanding of programming but there is a wide variety of tutorials and tools that can assist you in that process.  The benefits of Silverlight is that it does allow you to rapidly build interactive applications plus faces a lot of challenges that may be difficult in basic HTML / javascript.

http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/

http://www.silverlight.net/learn/

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:13 AM
  •  Totally dude if this is your first site. Keep it basic.

Get something up there and then you can build on that.

Straight HTML is the best place to start. Then build on that with CSS. And so on

Good luck

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:29 PM
  • I agree with the others, keep it simple. Start with html, and then work your way into CSS. There are some good books at Borders and such places that will show you step by step how to build web pages and such. At first it will seem tough but just relax and take your time, you will figure it out. Also, you will need a html editor software to build the pages. These are fairly inexpensive and found easily on the web.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Wow, first of all congrats! Second of all, I'd like to echo what Thomas and FuryDiamond said- jumping right into Silverlight isn't the easiest thing to do. You'd probably want to first start with something easier (such as HTML), or even get a book from Borders or Amazon to familiarize yourself with the whole process.

Regardless, good luck!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:29 PM
  •  Yes, html knowledge is very much needed. There are a lot of great books out there. I've taught myself from scratch and learn something almost every day.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I was reading this thread and  something I found really great for building a site was weebly. If you Google the name you will find a link to the site. It is kind of drop and drag to build a site, plus its fun

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:01 PM
  • I had good luck with my first sites using xsitepro. It is very intuitive and non-intimidating.There are also several free options for basic website builders but I was more comfortable with xsitepro. It probably depends on how much you wish to study before having an actual site produced.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:21 PM
  • If you want to use the Sliverlight tool, you need a basic understanding of C# or VB.NET-programming. If you consider Silverlight depends on what you want to do. This site has a learning-section where you can watch videos and get other stuff. If you're totally new go to the Get Started section.  It's got some really good info that can help you out and answer most of you questions.  Don't be afraid to post you questions in the forum either.. I've gotten a lot of help here.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:13 PM
  •  If this is your first website, I would just do it basic HTML or even wordpress. Very simple to use someone who wants to start their first site. Silverlight will be a bit hard for you for starters so try HTML or again just install a fresh wordpress and play around with that. I can help you if you need any tips or help on wordpress. Best of luck!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:15 PM
  • If I could start over knowing what I know now I would first point you in the direction of a question. The most important first step is why are

you building your website and what purpose or function is it going to provide. If you have a clear idea it will make the site flow better. The

next area would be to investigate all free website building tools. Blogger.com or Squidoo may be a start. I have purchased many tools and

programs that I do not even use. If you are brand new and want to catch up fast learn about wordpress blogs you can create free or put a

domain name and get your own hosting. Most hosting companies have great website and wordpress blog building tools. WP blogs are a

gift if you do not want to be a programmer. Your can make them into anything you want by simply changing themes and or adding

pluggins. This is the only way I create my websites now. I was afraid of the word blog and stayed away for almost a year before really

understanding it was what I needed to know and I wish I started on this on day one. Glad to see you starting your first site and I wish you

the best of luck. Right or wrong do something and learn from it.  Best Regards Rcweg

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:36 PM
  •  You don't have to be a blogger to take advantage of Wordpress.  But if you must design a standard website, I've had much luck with Xsitepro.  It's not free, but it's intuitive.

Otherwise, the recommendations by others to utilize simple html would be a great way to go in the beginning

Bizz

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:46 PM
  • html sites aren't too awful hard to learn how to set up. Once you figure out about 10-15 different code strings, you can make a lot of useful pages and grow from there. There can be some moderate hair pulling sessions while you are learning though. If you can't figure something out on your own in 10-15 minutes, ask a question on an active forum or go to Youtube and type in what problem you are trying to solve.

Paul

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:01 PM
  •   Yeah it requires a bit of C# or VB.NET-programming.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Wow...!

Newbie to all this.Was thinking the same thing...is there not an easier software for beginners looking to create and design websites?

Does anyone have suggestions to quicken the development curve?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Madge, what kind of website were you interested in building?
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:18 PM
  •  I personally use xsitepro. It's quick, easy and customizable.

It also allows for easy insertion of video with the video wizard.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:16 AM
  •  Wow, what can I say, thank you everyone for the great advice and encouragement. I intend to cut my teeth with the html and see where I go from there. I've already done a couple of blogs with Wordpress which is fantastic for a beginner as far as it goes but for the vision I have of how I want my site to look has it's limitations, or maybe the limitations are mine and html will allow me to achieve what I want with Wordpress, either way I'm looking forward to finding out.

Thank you all once again.

Regards

Madge

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:41 AM
  •  Hi Madge,

First of all congrats for making your first website and also it seems good that you have done so many things for developing the site like you have done blogs and Wordpress. The more you post blogs for your website the better you got the result of your site.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:56 AM
  • For basic html coding there are some superb videos on you tube & most of the initial information, we needed for building our first website, came from there & because it's visual, makes it easier, especially if you're just starting out.

Mark  Cool

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:56 AM
  • For newbies: Microsoft Frontpage? You can get started with no html knowledge but you can always see the html code created at any time.

There are plenty of free html editors out there too!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:28 AM
  •  Thanks everyone I came here to figure ask the same question as Madge. Now  don't have to

Usually lurking

Jay

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:41 PM
  •  I would recommend the Wordpress blog platform. It will be much simpler, easier and faster than doing a website development project.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I would also recommend using wordpress. It's very easy and its great for SEO purposed. For some reason the wordpress sites get indexed very quickly by the major search engines, especially Google.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:13 PM
  • My first website was build using MS Frontpage. It's outdated, it's clunky but for a "clean looking" page that uses a simple design then it's a good program to use for a newbie.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:22 PM
  • If you want to work worth HTML though and not a wordpress blog platform (depends on what you want to do with the site) then you may want to get a free web template. Google "free web template" there are some nice sites and templates available. You can then edit and revise it, and add you own content. Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:29 PM
  • I have used SBI at Sight Sell to build one site. You do not need to know any code to do this and it seems to get the job done although it has limitations that you would not have with HTML.

Chris

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:59 PM
  •  Yes, there's a ton of books out there that take you right through the process of building your first website using HTML. And you're going to need HTML, regardless of where you end up. so it's the way to go when you're starting out.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:07 PM
  •  THe first couple of sites that I have built have been with Wordpress and yes you are right, they get indexed really quickly and is great for SEO purposes and to get your feet wet in a little bit of basic coding here and there. It's a great platform for beginners!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:59 PM
  •  I could not agree more about wordpress! What you do not realize is these can be set up with a static front page and each post can become a add on page to the website.Google likes change and growth and this is one more reason the WP Blogs index and rank faster. Also graphics and plug ins make these a breeze to change once you see how they work. If your new you have not seen what it takes to become SEO freindly and there are plugins that do this for you. Example the all in one seo plugin. I have seen these videos and there is a lot of one on one examples if your interested.

http://advancedwordpress.com/blog/  I got a lot from them also do not discount utube for free training. Keep up the great start. Rcweg

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Note that HTML is a "Markup Language", and is not really "programming".  It's more akin to a word processor, where you label text as bold, italic, in this and that cell of a table layout, an image here, a link there, etc.

Silverlight has some elements that are already programmed for you and you can just plop it into place, but for anything truly interactive, you need to know some programming.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but would others agree that it would be better to learn something like C++ to get the fundamentals and then learn Silverlight?  It seems to me that .NET abstracts a lot of the core of programming and doesn't really expose the principles of programming languages.  Therefore it seems that it would be better if you have a more basic foundation before jumping into .NET as it will help when you run into road-blocks.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:30 PM
  •  Building a website will much require the knowledge of HTML and Javascript

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:18 AM
  • There are many good HTML editors available and many are free.  But for a more professional website, maybe can consider purchasing Microsoft Expression Web or Dreamweaver MX.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:32 AM
  • When I was a beginner in making website, the first tool that I use was Microsoft Frontpage because it is easy to use and much simpler than Dreamweaver but not good as Dreamweaver Smile

I did learn about HTML code from that tool and when I already know more about the algorithm of making website, I started using Dreamweaver. For Blog, wordpress is very recommended.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Madge, building a website doesn't require too much fancy stuff. All you need is a quick pore over of http://wwww.w3schools.com to have a basic idea of what it takes how to make one. I know you can do it!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:32 AM
  •  Try to search

How to Design a Website for Beginners

or just "Website for beginners" in google and you will find what you need.

You can also try to search "cms" if you want it very easy.

Good luck. Smile

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:56 AM
  •  Seriously, alot of great comments here. BUT. And I say but because creating a website is more than just codes and software. Is it going to be a hobby site or is it a site that you want to use to get your feet wet in web design. If you want to just create a site for a hobby then they are plenty WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)applications out there. For example windows live lets you start your own website for free pretty cool. To be honest thats where I started and understanding the different parts of a website. I went from there to making simple static pages then that became easy. So I went on to using website design software like dreamweaver. Now I do alot of programming. Ok so this was a long answer but bottomline with technology today building a site is the easiest thing to do. Dont listen to anyone that says its hard. :)

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:57 AM
  • I have to agree with rydorien on this one. If you just want to create websites as a hobby, go and get one of the wysiwyg editors out there.

You only have to learn basic HTML and CSS at the beginning, but as soon as you think "Yes, this is something I'd like to do" you can get plenty of good books on HTML and then, and only then, you should look into other programs and more complex techniques.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:24 AM
  •  Again thank you all for the continued advice and encouragement. The blog I've built is www.golfpsychologyonline.com it's a bit messy as I can't work out how to resize areas and move things about quite as I'd like to yet but if anyone has the time to take a quick look and let me know what they think I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:42 AM
  •  Thanks for those links, FuryDiamond... the ones earlier in this thread bombed, these didn't.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:09 AM
  • just to qualify what I said earlier. Frontpage is rgeat for beginners but you should eventually aspire to learning Dreamweaver.

Ideally, you should learn HTML but it's not really necessary IMHO.

I never thought about Wordpress-is it really that versatile ? 

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:52 PM
  • What I have found is the hard part is not the technical components of the website...there are many many tools out there to help you do that. However, having good content is usually where the "rubber meets the road" and to pull that off usually requires some real "elbow grease".
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Yeah, keep it simple for sure--at least at the beginning.  I agree with some of the earlier comments about Weebly.  I've found it to be one of the easiest WYSIWYG sitebuilders out there, though a bit limited.  It is very easy to learn and you can get two websites up and running for free.  It will not help you learn html at all if that is your goal, however, but you'll learn some of the fundamentals of site building.  Also, in his blog, Matt Cutts, Google engineer and spokesman, once stated that the WYSIWYG programs are slowing down the internet with all the extra code they need.

Try to make a point to learn html.  There are plenty of resources on the web to do that.  You do not need a teacher for the basic stuff.  It's really very easy and you will be amazed at how much fun it can be.

Good luck!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:36 PM
  •  volusion is awesome for anyone who is selling anything online....I have had nothing but a positive experience with them thus far.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Wow...!

Newbie to all this.Was thinking the same thing...is there not an easier software for beginners looking to create and design websites?

Does anyone have suggestions to quicken the development curve?

I can highly recommend starting with a Wordpress blog. Go to http://wordpress.org and follow your nose. You will have to get a domain name and hosting. If you can use Word, you will be able to use Wordpress.

Good luck

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Hey Madge, I just checked out your site (www.golfpsychologyonline.com) it looks pretty good. Just a little bit of sloppiness with that first entry, but otherwise it looks great. And hey, new site and you are already at a PR1, good job!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Very good point about the w3 schools! Another tip is a free html editor called Nvu  and Note Tab to play around with before spending money on expensive programs. Just do something and you will advance fast. Best Regards Rcweg PS Just for laughs I started with no knowledge of how to copy or paste on a computer about a year ago! Stay with it!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:00 PM
  • My first attempt at a website looked terrible.  Then I looked for a website host that had a user friendly website building software. I was able to creat a very nice website, and it has been very sucessful.  Now that I understand a little more, I am ready to get a good stand alone software like Dream Weaver. But I started out with Homestead to host my first site because of the supporting software. 

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:46 PM
  •  currently have blogger forwarded to my website xxx.com/blog. what would be the best substitute to replace as they are going to stop ftp forwarding in march? 

Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:52 PM
  •  Thanks Justin, still pulling my hair out trying to move the text area on the first entry down so the "short game" button doesn't overlay, also to get rid of unwanted side bar buttons that don't appear in wp-admin, any ideas?

Friday, February 05, 2010 10:13 AM
  • I came across something called  Webstarts the other day. You can try it for free to see if you like it. The sites that people have built have good rankings in Google. They show you how to get traffic and backlinks. A cut above most low end wbesite builders.

Friday, February 05, 2010 5:24 PM
  •  Thanks for all the info here. Being a new comer to website building I was wondering where to get started too.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:07 AM
  •  

Is there  any one book in particular you would recommend? I know some of the basics, but not enough.

Thanks in advance.

John

Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:13 AM
  •  Wordpress is simple enough to start but make sure you stay focused on one system.  When you are new it can be overwhelming and discouraging at times with all of the new information that will be coming at you.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 1:06 AM
  •  Wordpress is simple enough to start but make sure you stay focused on one system.  When you are new it can be overwhelming and discouraging at times with all of the new information that will be coming at you.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 1:08 AM
  •  You can setup a Wordpress Blog and post pages instead of posts - you can create simple navigation through the tabs and if you use the right template it won't even look like a blog.  Very easy way to get started and you can still use HTML

Saturday, February 06, 2010 1:45 AM
  • I second that Weebly can be great because it allows for some advanced moves if you choose to learn html, css, flash, etc. And if you don't, that's fine too. Making the site is still easy. Not to mention, the new features they have out now would take you about a year to learn on your own. Great place to start for a beginner, and even a great place to stay for a master.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hi Madge, I too have the same question in mind,.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:43 AM
  •  When I made my first website, I use wordpress. But, I think that having some knowledge in HTML would be a great help. But, you can also hire or ask someone to help you build your first website if you don't have any idea regarding programming or HTML.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:14 AM
  • It is quite interesting that I also can learn from you!

Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:29 AM
  • Based on my experience, webpress is the best. There are a lot  of great free videos out there explaining how to get started on using wp. Just Google them :)

Saturday, February 06, 2010 8:36 AM
  •  Congrats on getting started Madge!  It's an exciting adventure.  However, for someone that is just beginning, this might not be the tool to use at this juncture.  Depending upon what you are wanting to do with your site or what the goals of the site are - there are otehr easier tools to get started with.  Look into HTML which is simple to learn and even a Wordpress blog can be used in many scnearios as well. And that's super easy to configure and use for someone new to all of this.

Best of luck with it all!

B

Saturday, February 06, 2010 10:52 AM
  •  As everyone towards the end stated WordPress is probably the best way to go. Its easy to learn and once you know what your doing its super easy to manage. And yes I also recommend learning Dreamweaver....lol much better than FrontPage

Saturday, February 06, 2010 10:56 AM
  • My first webpage I also used Wordpress. Wordpress is an awesome package and it is free! Big Smile I didn't have any knowledge of html, so it has enabled me to design a website very easily.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:04 PM
  •   Joomla! is one of the most powerful Open Source Content Management Systems on the planet. It is used all over the world for everything from simple websites to complex corporate applications. Joomla! is easy to install, simple to manage, and reliable.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:43 PM
  • I've built several sites and whichever platform you use, the search engine friendliness is one of the most important aspects. I've never used silverlight, however I have used Interspire as a shopping cart system to work around. Interspire is incredibly search engine friendly and assuming you want traffic and ultimately sales, I would definitely check it out

Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:07 PM
  •  How about building a website with a shopping cart system for a newbie? is there anything out there as easiest as wordpress, open source and free?

Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Yeah, I can concour Wordpress is the best. But I think you need to know a little bit of HTML, especially if you want to be an IM.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:15 PM
  •  How about building a website with a shopping cart system for a newbie? is there anything out there as easiest as wordpress, open source and free?

I would suggest Joomla, they have free shopping cart systems

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Well I'm on a windows server so I was using an asp blog script.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:26 PM
  • exactly right, you have to crawl before you can walk, start with basic CSS and HTML and then you can build from there
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Here's an idea.  Go to a local .net users group, make some friends and offer somebody a six pack of beer to come by and show you how to do it. 

Saturday, February 06, 2010 11:23 PM
  • I used wordpress, have an advance knowledge of xhtml and now I am going to learn joomla. Question, is silverlight compatible with all 3? should I learn and try to use it for my next joomla project?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 06, 2010 11:57 PM
  •  I would use a basic website builder software like Frontpage, Nvu(free) or maybe Dreamweaver even though it is a bit more complex.  You need the basics of HTML to build your first site.  You can make a page and then view the HTML code to figure out what does what.  You can also find many useful tutorials by just searching the web.  I wish you luck.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:16 AM
  •  I just stumbled upon silver light and I heard a lot of good reviews about it. It's not as popular as wordpress but I think that it's easy to install and manage.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:31 AM
  • If It's your first experience with building websites I believe you'll find it quite complex.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:32 AM
  •  

Search engine spiders don’t handle frames very well, so you’re better off avoiding

the use of frames altogether. If you must use them, create a NOFRAMES version of

your site that links all of your content together. Better yet, don’t use frames.

Search engines actually can read and index Flash web sites. The problem is that

they can’t really trust what they find in the Flash files, because there’s no easy way

to determine which text is visible.

Doing your entire web site in Flash is (in my opinion) crazy from a usability

standpoint, and although there are hacks to work around the SEO issues, we’ll have

to save those details for the support portal.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:13 AM
  •  I was finishing myfirst web site too and I have got a problem:

I looks great in Firefox, but is totally destroyed in Internet explorer.

How could I make my site working in all the browsers?

Thanks

Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:01 PM
  • What book would you recommend for beginners wanting to learn HTML?  (title? author?)

Thanks!

Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:12 PM
  • cocovilo,

This could be a number of things.  It all depends on what tags and what css you are using. Check first that all the html tags have opening and closing tags. Check next that all of your styles or css statements are valid. Then make sure that any add-ons you may be using are present in both browser versions. I have seen people use the Internet Explore (No Add Ons) and wondered why their particular add on is not there. Beyond that I would have to see your code to figure it out.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:12 PM
  •  With all the help and good advice available here I'd say you've come to the right place, but that's just my 2 cents worth!

Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hi Madge,

Try nvu.com or kompozer. Just download any of this program. These are two free website bulider program where you can create your website free and you don't need to know html.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Amanda,

To learn HTML its hard to beat this place:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:17 PM
  •  Hello,

I'm new here but very interested in the possibilities of Silverlight.

I would like to find good books to learn C+ and also CSS.

Anyone know of or can recommend good entry level books for a beginner to start with??   Books that don't assume

know all the terms already.

Thanks very much!!

Mm

Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Well I would definitely start out with html, but there is Intuit that is free the first 30 days and then only $4.99 per month for 5 page site.  I agree that Weebly and Wordpress would be a great options also.  When doing your first site you want to make it a simple process because you can get frustrated pretty fast. Crying

Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:06 PM
  •  

For Newbies, I would recommend dreamweaver or MS Frontpage as both don't require any knowledge of HTML.

You can also get PageBreeze HTML Editor for free. :)

Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:11 AM
  •  Hi,

I'm relatively new to all this too and I began on Wordpress. The blogs are simple to put together and can look great and I have to say I have been fairly successful with them. HTML is necessary but if I can master the essentials I'm sure anyone can.!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:53 AM
  • It all depends what sort of site you are considering to build, if you want to create something with a little more complexity then i would recommend it.  However if you have some standard CSS and XHTML training, and want to try and keep code clean on a small and standard web-site, it would be worth creating it yourself from scratch.  After you have learnt how to use things like PhotoShop and HTML Kit, building an easy site with little complexity is very easy.  For more complicated projects, using things like Silverlight are the best programs to use. Big Smile

Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:21 AM
  • dreamweaver is good, but you really want to start off by learning basic html. That is the foundation of it all I believe. Dreamweaver just teaches you shortcuts. 

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Guys, since we are talking about building a website here ... is it recommended to use photoshop in making a website? I saw this video on youtube and this person created a website out from a photoshop. And im just curious if it's possible. Im still a newbie, so please bear with me. Thanks =)

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:23 AM
  • If you are building your first web site make sure you understand what you are trying to promote. Are you providing information on a topic you have interest in, are you trying to promote a product, are you looking to capture people's attention. Understand the purpose of your site and do not complicate your website with information that is off topic, Do not cloud your website with ad's and popups etc. Make sure your website is user friendly and easy on the eyes.

Silverlight is a great product but it takes some getting used to. make sure you understand basic HTML and some understanding of VB script.

Good Luck!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Graphic designers first create the layout in Photoshop because they can get their ideas out before getting into the code... You still need to cut it all up and write HTML to make it into a website
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Also, you don't need any knowledge of programming to build a website with Silverlight. It does help of course and HTML knowledge is a must for anyone serious about web design. But Expression Blend offers the tools to create a fantastic interactive website without needing one line of code. Check out http://www.agkdesign.net/template/view.html There was one line of C# in there and it wasn't even really needed. With that said though, I would agree HTML is a good place to start with your adventure.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:11 AM
  •  I have been creating website since 1998, and my software of choice is MS Frontpage... I am now using Word Press the blogging platform to put up most new sites, and you can still make the site either a blog or look like a static site with WP.

And WP is free :-)

Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:55 PM
  •  Working with WP is fine but to really make the most of it you are at some point going to have to get to grips with the code. To truly get away from the blog look and feel of WP and make it a static website some editing is going to be involved.

But you are right WP is free and that makes the effort worthwhile :-)

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:55 PM
  • I suggest a very easy program to build a website for a newbie: wysiwyg web builder.

No html needed, professional results.

I made some nice websites using templates...

It is free if you leave their ad on your website.

Friday, February 12, 2010 6:18 AM
  • I agree.  Wordpress is great.  It's really easy for anyone and there is so much you can do with it.  Definitely keep it simple with basic HTML for your first site or I second the recommendation to try Wordpress.  My experience with it has been great. 

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:42 AM
  •  I have recently had the same issue and went through and built about 4 sites in the last 3-4 weeks.  I have used wordpress for all four and they have turned out great.  Search online for a good tutorial, they should be free, and then just follow the steps.  Wordpress is awesome because of all the free themes already out there and all the great plug ins you can use to help make your site function better. Good luck and let us take a peak at your site when  you get it up.

Friday, February 12, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I'm personally a huge fan of Wordpress. It's very easy to use, and it's so versatile that your site doesn't have to look like a blog, as others have mentioned. You can use HTML if you want to, but it's certainly not needed. Creating and editing pages is a breez. Certainly a great way to go if you're just starting out and getting your first site up.

Of course, there's also Nvu or Frontpage if you just want a simple HTML editor. As others suggested, keep it simple to start. You're going to be learning a lot already, so it's best not to overdue it.

Friday, February 12, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Yes, I had the same question about using silverlight to construct my website. Im fairly new to this and I dont want to get in over my head:)

Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:11 AM
  •  Get yourself an account taht includes it - But for something that has IT backup and specialist support I used sargemweb.co.uk. professional, imaginative and reasonable price.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:01 AM
  • If I could start over knowing what I know now I would first point you in the direction of a question. The most important first step is why are

you building your website and what purpose or function is it going to provide. If you have a clear idea it will make the site flow better. The

next area would be to investigate all free website building tools. Blogger.com or Squidoo may be a start. I have purchased many tools and

programs that I do not even use. If you are brand new and want to catch up fast learn about wordpress blogs you can create free or put a

domain name and get your own hosting. Most hosting companies have great website and wordpress blog building tools. WP blogs are a

gift if you do not want to be a programmer. Your can make them into anything you want by simply changing themes and or adding

pluggins. This is the only way I create my websites now. I was afraid of the word blog and stayed away for almost a year before really

understanding it was what I needed to know and I wish I started on this on day one. Glad to see you starting your first site and I wish you

the best of luck. Right or wrong do something and learn from it.  Best Regards Rcweg

Couldn't agree with you more on WP Rcweg. Using WP has been one of the best tools ever since sliced bread. I use it for all my online projects as it's very easy to get acquainted with and with all the right plugins you can easily put all your aspirations online into reality.

However, the learning curve is not as steep as using other tools although you will need to understand a bit of html and/ or php. All the best buddy.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:18 AM
  •  I remember when I first started out, HTML is definitely the first think you need to get a good grasp on. Without that, nothing else will make sense. Then learn CSS, then PHP. THen try to set up some WordPress blogs and customizing their templates.

Play around with different languages until you find one that works for you. It's so simply once you get the fundamentals that you will be able to set up a site with your eyes closed. 

Good luck!! And dont give up!

Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:13 PM
  • This is a great thread, based on so much rich experience. Thanks to all who have contributed. 

Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:19 AM
  • I'm confused. I thought MS FrontPage (which I still use on a few older sites) was dead and buried. But I see some folks recommending it. I use Dreamweaver now, and that's pretty advanced. So I don't know what's around for beginners, but I have to reckon there's something superior to FrontPage. 

Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:26 AM
  •  Hey Madge:  The easiest thing I found was to learn basic HTML to get started on a regular website.  You can go online to search engines and put in the search box,  building a basic website tutorial.  Or you can go to Barnes and Nobles and pick up a beginners book on site building, or online to Amazon.  Even easier than that was start with a Wordpress Blog.  I started with a blog and realized it was all I needed for my biz.  Hope this helps, Cee Cee

Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:59 AM
  •  Well, my opinion is it will be easier if you use an open source site like wordpress or blogger.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Go to amazon.com then look for 'silverlight'. Big Smile

Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback guys.. I'll definitely use Silverlight.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:11 PM
  • I agree that HTML is the best way to get started because you will not be dependent on sources that often are peppered with links to strange sites, such as Wordpress templates.  I have used turnkey site building systems and quickly out-grew what they offered.  Or stated a better way - they were too limited for the basic package and expenses for add-ons just mounted up.

As I was learning to build websites I tried a number of different free blog sites and learned basic HTML from some online HTML resource sites.  I created links, special fonts, and tables on the free blog sites.  The best free sites are: Hubpages, Wordpress, and Squidoo.  They are very user friendly and the forums have great HTML ideas. As I became more comfortable, I bought Dreamweaver CS3 to make the HTML easier from my desktop.  I love Adobe Dreamweaver and CS3 is on sale because CS4 is now available. CS3 is great for a novice and can usually be found for about $50. It supports simple pages and layouts for the beginner.  I read a book from Dummies on Dreamweaver and it was very helpful.

I have also used Wordpress script from my hosting company, but the more content I create the slower it loaded.  I found that basic HTML sites load faster, are easier to create and maintain, and have more flexibility for content placement.  One of the great features of Dreamweaver is you have two views: "Code" or "Design".  "Code" view shows the actual HTML for the web page, and "Design" shows how it will look on the Internet to users.  Yes, HTML is the best for your site in the long run. 

Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:00 PM