none
Microsoft to distribute Silverlight to users in an Update?

General discussion

• I have a client who I am building a new website for and who is interested in a Silverlight solution.  His only concern is that, since Silverlight is still new, his customers will not have Silverlight installed and will have to go through the download process, thus possibly losing some of his impatient users.

Anyone have any insight to when Microsoft may release Silverlight with an update?  If not, any other good ideas for overcoming this concern?

Many thanks....

PS, if this topic has already been posted, my apologies, and direction to a current thread would be great.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:54 PM

All replies

• I'd suggest that Microsoft may not be planning to release this through automatic updates instead the emphasis seems to be on ease of the installation process.

In terms of adoption, video's from Mix earlier this year showed that Microsoft have put a lot of effort into platform evangelism, and you can see this continuing in the number of MS architects and platform evangelists blogging about it. Silverlight is being actively promoted to developers through sites like this, and through public events. You can see they are also helping some larger customers such as the beijing olymipics to prototype applications. To increase adoption they also appear to be targetting particular audiences - for example there's a lot of halo 3 video content you can get at in silverlight that you might not be able to find elsewhere.

So to map this out for your customer

1. Installation isn't likely to be the v1.1 download and install but rather the v1.0 embedded installer which makes a much better experience for the user.
    2. Microsoft are doing a lot to get quick voluntary adoption by targetting compelling silverlight content in lots of places that will make a very sharp adoption curve.
    3. You might also want to discuss some kind of accessible form for the site for people using screen readers, this would also work as a fall back for people not wanting / able to download silverlight
    4. Ultimately people will download it if the application proviides something they want
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:27 PM
  • You might want to demonstrate a clean Silverlight install for your client.  We've worked really hard to have a small download and a fast installer.  If you have any bad installer experiences, please let us know so we can work on fixing it. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about "roadmaps" and "strategic partnerships" give you a real answer to your question :(

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Awesome.  Thanks for the input!

Nick

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:48 PM