none
Playback legacy WMDRM encrypted content with Silverlight DRM

Question

• Hi,

I have an old WMDRM ecosystem with media files encrypted with Windows Media Rights Manager.

Now I want to use Silverlight 3 with PlayReady to playback this content.

Is this possible without re-coding the content? If yes what do I need to do?

Kind regards

Friday, August 14, 2009 3:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Montysl,

I have an old WMDRM ecosystem with media files encrypted with Windows Media Rights Manager.

The Silverlight client can use two forms of DRM encryption/decryption: the traditional Windows Media Digital Rights Management 10 (WMDRM 10), and the newer PlayReady with AES encryption. This enables existing content encrypted using the WMDRM 10 SDK to play back within both Silverlight and other Windows Media playback software that supports DRM (such as Windows Media Player), and Silverlight-only media to offer a higher degree of security.

PlayReady and its associated AES encryption are not used only in Silverlight. For more information about PlayReady, see PlayReady Whitepaper.

Although Silverlight can play PlayReady and WMDRM encrypted content, it does not support the entire ecosystems of these technologies. In addition, in order to play WMDRM encrypted content in Silverlight, you still need at least one PlayReady server (see the earlier diagram).

You can get more details here.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:46 AM

All replies

• While I'm not sure if that will work, why not just try it? It would be a really quick test.

Add this to an empty page inside the LayoutRoot Grid that you get default when creating a new silverlight application :
    <MediaElement AutoPlay="true" Source="http://mydomain/PathToMyVideo.wmv" />

Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Mmmm, as I don't have a PlayReady server yet, I can't rebuild this scenario :(

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Hi Montysl,

The Silverlight client can use two forms of DRM encryption/decryption: the traditional Windows Media Digital Rights Management 10 (WMDRM 10), and the newer PlayReady with AES encryption. This enables existing content encrypted using the WMDRM 10 SDK to play back within both Silverlight and other Windows Media playback software that supports DRM (such as Windows Media Player), and Silverlight-only media to offer a higher degree of security.

PlayReady and its associated AES encryption are not used only in Silverlight. For more information about PlayReady, see PlayReady Whitepaper.

Although Silverlight can play PlayReady and WMDRM encrypted content, it does not support the entire ecosystems of these technologies. In addition, in order to play WMDRM encrypted content in Silverlight, you still need at least one PlayReady server (see the earlier diagram).

You can get more details here.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:46 AM
  • (edited: question was moot after I found the real cause of the problems)

Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:18 AM
  • in order to play WMDRM encrypted content in Silverlight, you still need at least one PlayReady server

Has anyone implemented this?  What PlayReady licenses are needed to serve license for WMDRM encrypted content to a Silverlight client (Windows Phone 7 application)?

PlayReady Server Application Development and Distribution License?
    PlayReady Service Deployment License?
    PlayReady PC Software Application Development and Distribution Agreement? 

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:59 PM