none
HasPropertyChanges and WCF RIA

General discussion

• Hi,

I have a parent entity class Person which has a child property Phones which is a collection of Phones entity for that person. 

In my dataform, if i change a property on person such as Name the HasPropertyChanges flag = true

If i change on the phone numbers then HasPropertyChanges = False although HasChildChanges = true.

If the child is a collection of Phones then why is that property not updated in the parent.

I am using the Include and Composition tag on my metadata class.

Solution is in SL5, WCF RIA, EF and MVVM.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:06 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about the DomainContext 's HasChanges Property ??

When you Query for the Parent Entities using a DomainContext on your client, DomainContext is going to maintain lists of objects you have recieved.

Considering the Parent as "PERSON" and child as "PHONE" relation is PERSON <One to Many> PHONE

when you query to get IEnumerable of PERSON you get DomainContext with PERSON collection and PHONE collection.

any changes to your PHONE entity will mark this COLLECTION's HasChanges to true. but the PERSON COLLECTION's HasChanges will still be false.

but the overall DomainContext.HasChanges will be true.

DomainContext.HasChanges is just a OR operation of all entity list's HasChanges property.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:48 PM
  • That makes sense, so any idea how mark the PERSON to HasChanges=True when one of the child properties changes (the child is a collection of phone numbers)?

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:06 PM
  • I would just use the DomainContext's HasChanges property to detect changes. 

We typically use this HasChanges  property as a DirtyIndicator to visibly show on screen if there are any changes made to underlying entities.

-Nachiket

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I am using a dataform, and the problem is that if the child haschanges then the Submit button is not enabled because the parent does not reflect those changes.

Do you know how to enable the Submit button based on the HasChanges being used as a DirtyIndicator?

A

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:36 PM
  • You got couple of options here,

1. Try to see if you can bind the submit button to DomainContext's HasChanges property.

If you want to use HasChanges  on the Parent Collection, you might have to bubble up the changes. through property setter in child.(However *I would not do this*)

You need

1. A Link to Parent from the Child Entity (can be achieved through Property which gets setup relation between Parent and Child)

2. A dummy change detection property in Parent. A simple property of ModifiedDate would suffice

3. In the setter for the properties in Child, call the up the method on Parent to update the dummy property to DateTime.Now

so whenever any property value on child changes, it will update the parent's dummy property too. thus marking the DomainContext's HasChanges to true.

this is pretty CRUDE implementation though

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:29 AM
  • It seems one cannot set the HasPropertyChnages as it complains its a Friend property. So whatever sets that property is internally set.

Child changes are bubbled upto the parent but it seems those changes do not change the HasPropertyChanges property. 

What is the missing link?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:44 PM