none
Silverlight fails to install on Vista - just want to watch netflix again

Question

• I just want to watch Netflix and now I can't because Silverlight tells me that "Your operating system does not support the 64-bit version of Silverlight." But according to Microsoft's compatibility page I should have no problem installed the update on Vista.  Any insight would be great. Was going to uninstall and attempt to reinstall but the "view video on how to uninstall" on the website also doesn't work. So frustrating.

Am I missing something here?

I have Windows Vista Service pack 2 w/ 4 gigs of Ram and 64 bit operating system.

Thanks.

• Edited by Eni889 Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:30 AM
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have the exact same problem...
    Sunday, April 07, 2013 12:12 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the system requirements for silverlight by accessing this page.

For solve your error message, please try to download 32-bit version of silverlight:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229320 .

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards.

Amy Peng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Eni889- I have this exact same problem but downloading the 32-bit Silverlight package didn't work.  What finally worked for you with Netflix?

Thank you so much,

Meredith

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I also have the same problem. Silverlight x64 won't install on Vista with SP 2. I have installed Silverlight x32 successfully, but Netflix won't play on Silverlight x32. I still get the Netflix error message and the prompt to install Silverlight x64. I have a 64-bit system, so why won't Silverlight x64 install???
    Friday, July 12, 2013 11:37 AM
  • I had to completely rebuild my system a couple of months ago (Vista Ultimate x64) and Silverlight installed with no hassles at all. But Netflix recommended I upgrade Silverlight so I tried to and the install failed with nonsensical errors. Also, my previous install is now trashed.

I downloaded the installer automatically, saved it and ran it from the hard drive, but received the false error that I was not running an x64 system.

Out of curiosity I I tried running the installer under IE x64 and got the warning that Silverlight x64 does not work with IE x64. This is very strange considering that Silverlight 64 supposedly works fine with Firefox, if you can get it to install. Or so I am told.

Why does the Silverlight installer think I am not running an x64 system?

I wound up reinstalling the version from last January, but I cannot tell if it is 32- or 64-bit. The Netflix stream I had selected just started running. Is there any way to sell what bit version of Silverlight you are using? I am successfully running Silverlight plug-in 5.1.20125.0 modified 1/24/2013 8:09 p.m. I do not recall doing anything special to install it.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:01 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I am running a Windows Vista 64 bit operating system, but I receive the same error. Even after downloading the 32 bit Silverlight version I am still unable to watch Netflix. This is very irritating... something needs to be done about this in the next Silverlight patch.
    • Proposed as answer by guyser1955 Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by guyser1955 Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:33 AM
  • You need to install Silverlight version 5.1.20125.0 available at OldApps.com  
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:21 AM
  • I found that installing Silverlight version 5.1.20125.0 did the trick.  I had the same problem with not being able to view Netflix on a PC running Windows Vista 64-bit with Service Pack 2.  When I tried to download the most recent version of Silverlight, it kept telling me that I could not do it because I did not have a 64-bit Operating System.  But, I was able to install the older version of Silverlight (5.1.20125.0) and I can now use Netflix again.

Thanks to guyser1955 to giving us that response.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:14 PM
  • This worked!  Thank you for that website and information on what version to download.  I'm so happy.  Thank you guyser1955.
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:25 PM
  • me too.  It worked!
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Works like a charm THANK YOU
    Wednesday, April 09, 2014 4:00 AM