none
Why no tiff support in silverlight 4

Question

• I look forward for the tiff suppout in SL4.

Why no tiff support in SL4. Even the webcam is supportted.

Monday, December 14, 2009 12:14 AM

Answers

• Tiff is complicated and big (just look at the reference Tiff implementation).  I don't think this will be supported natively by Silverlight, ever.  Webcam, on the other hand, is loudly requested...  If you need to deal with Tiff I think you want to look at server-side solution, or using the full WPF, which presumably supports Tiff (?).
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Hi Carlsjf,

I got what you want clearly.  However, as far as I know, tiff is not supported in Silverlight 4.  You can post your suggestion to Microsoft Connect.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• Tiff is complicated and big (just look at the reference Tiff implementation).  I don't think this will be supported natively by Silverlight, ever.  Webcam, on the other hand, is loudly requested...  If you need to deal with Tiff I think you want to look at server-side solution, or using the full WPF, which presumably supports Tiff (?).
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:35 PM
  • in many cases, imagesource is a Uri which need the forms authentication. Silverlight can share the forms authentication result with Browser. so silverlight can access remote image source which possibly needs the same forms authentication by previous aspx page.

But WPF can't. If a httpwebrequest is launched to a ashx, and if the ashx need forms authentication, WPF will need a login again.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Hi Carlsjf,

I got what you want clearly.  However, as far as I know, tiff is not supported in Silverlight 4.  You can post your suggestion to Microsoft Connect.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:13 AM