none
Side by Side support

Question

• If I host a Silverlight 3 application and if the user has Silverlight 4 already installed, would the runtime prompt to install Silverlight 3. In other words, we want the capability to run multiple versions of Silverlight side-by-side. Is this supported? Please advice.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:59 AM

Answers

• SL4 is compatible with SL3, so it wouldn't ask. However, if the SL control in the aspx page (or html page) has the minimum version for the SL app set to 4 and the user has SL3, it will ask them to upgrade (if you are using the standard SL control mechanisms). 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:40 AM
  • In VS2010, you can set which SL version you are targeting for your application build. Whatever that target is, that will be the minimum runtime version the user must have in order to ensure 100% compatibility.

So even if the user has SL5, since you built the xap file for SL4, the user will still be able to run it, but will not be able to do anything extra that SL5 may have.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Thank you very much. Appreciate it 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:22 PM

All replies

• SL4 is compatible with SL3, so it wouldn't ask. However, if the SL control in the aspx page (or html page) has the minimum version for the SL app set to 4 and the user has SL3, it will ask them to upgrade (if you are using the standard SL control mechanisms). 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Thank you. Is there a way I can force my applicaiton to a specific Silverlight Version? Assume we go live with Silverlight 4.0 and Microsoft releases Silverlight 5.0 with breaking changes. We want our application to use Silverlight 4.0 although user has Silverlight 5.0 installed. Please advice.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:59 PM
  • In VS2010, you can set which SL version you are targeting for your application build. Whatever that target is, that will be the minimum runtime version the user must have in order to ensure 100% compatibility.

So even if the user has SL5, since you built the xap file for SL4, the user will still be able to run it, but will not be able to do anything extra that SL5 may have.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Thank you very much. Appreciate it 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:22 PM