none
Netflix and Silverlight, constant crashing and buffering.

General discussion

• Alright, I'm at my wits end and I have no idea what to do anymore. I've spoken to Microsoft and Netflix numerous times and neither seem to know anything at all about my problem. I'm hoping someone has an idea.

Every time I try to watch something on Netflix, it crashes. Usually when streaming, your video streams ahead of the part you are watching in order to prevent any rebuffering. Well, Netflix will load up to a few minutes and no further. Once I watch up to that point, it tries to rebuffer but gets stuck at 0%. No error message ever pops up. It just stays at 0% and will stay there for hours. This happens on my Sony Blu-ray player and also on my laptop. It acts as if my internet has stopped working and it cannot rebuffer or reload the video, even when my internet connection is perfectly fine. It doesn't matter what internet browser I use, as it does the same thing on all of them. The quick fix to this is if I just refresh the page...the video will start to play where it crashed just fine. But this only works for another couple of minutes before it crashes again. It's becoming pointless to even attempt to watch anything, as I have to get up and refresh it every two minutes.

I'm certain this is an issue with Silverlight crashing, because the tech support on Netflix told me that my streaming data reported a Silverlight error. Not only that, but I can stream just fine on other sites, such as HULU.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight multiple times, and have deleted the Appdata folder each time. If anyone has any idea on what keeps causing my Silverlight to crash while watching Netflix, any input is appreciated.

I have Windows 7 64-bit and my Silverlight is up to date. All of my web browsers are also up to date.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:28 AM

All replies

• I am having a similar problem. I called Netflix because a movie of theirs would not play, and like all customer service, they refuse to believe the problem is with one of their files and assume it is a user error or something wrong with the customer's machine. They made me update Silverlight before they would help me further. Obviously this did not fix the problem because it was a problem with Netflix. With the old Silverlight, everything was fine, but now with the new one, it is constantly freezing up my whole computer, anytime I try to do anything. If you or anyone knows where I can re-download the OLD version of Silverlight, please let me know ASAP.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:53 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as well. I try to watch Netflix, then a sudden horridly loud screeching noise  and my computer freezes up. I reboot and get the message on Netflix that my Silverlight has crashed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and it continues to do the same thing. I read that there had been issues using Internet Explorer, but I use Firefox. Not sure how to fix this problem.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:35 PM
  • -

Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:10 PM
  • it seems if i have the drivers for my drawing tablet in stalled it makes silverlight crash when ever i try to watch a movie the only work around i know of right now is to unstall my tablet but that gets really old fast any suggestions ?

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:16 PM
  • A couple of people that said they are having the "same" problem are NOT having the same problem.  I AM, however, having this same problem, only I don't have a PS3 or 360 with me that I can test this on.  I do have a phone, but I haven't noticed this problem on my phone.

Netflix will stream up to a certain point and stop.  When the show/movie finally reaches that point, it remains at 0% buffering and will do nothing else until I refresh.  I too, got the same results in all broswers, AND I got the same thing happening when I used the Netflix plug in for Windows Media Center.  I suppose I'll try my phone to see what it does, but I know on my computer, it's just not working.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Does no one have an answer for this?  I too, have the exact same problem.  

Netflix loads a couple minutes ahead of the streaming then stops when it reaches that point.  I get the 0% and nothing else.  The only remedy is deleting Silverlight from Internet Plug-Ins and downloading another Silverlight.  This will work for at least 1 movie or episode, but the next streaming will get the 0%.  I'm on a 2010 iMac and have tried Netflix on Safari and Firefox.  My internet is wired directly to the Mac and my speed is low at around 1.5 MB.  I can also manually lower the buffer rate (Ctrl+Option+Shift+S) but that doesn't affect anything.  If no one has a solution for this, I will have to cancel the Instant portion of my Netflix :(

Monday, February 04, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Isn't it amazing that no-one seems to have answers for this. I am having the same issue, it started after an update to Silverlight, but I don't know how to get back to when it was working!
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Hi Guys, I was going to install Silverlight on my new computer but I recalled having similar problems on my older PC. Put it down to it age. Anyway I asked our techies guys at work and they did know either.  Having read this thread seem best avoided for now until I know more as I hate trying to fit things that should not need fixing. As for Netflix I do not use it and went for Love film but I watch that on the TV via Playstation 3. That still has some problems buffering as does i player. Is it likely to be a problem at the provider end rather than Silverlight at your end? Rubbish in rubbish out?

Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:53 AM
  • I had the exact same problem, it went a few minutes and then stuck at 0%. The issue is with HD streaming. All you have to do is uncheck the HD button on the screen to the left of the "next episode" arrow.  THIS IS THE SOLUTION. (I realize you may want to watch in HD, and I have no clue what causes this issue but this fixed it for me and at least now I can watch it!)
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:55 PM
  • CarrieIllinois,

It totally worked!

You are an Angel!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Tinkerbellah

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:42 AM
  • CarrieIllinois,

It totally worked!

You are genius and a Godsend!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Tinkerbellah