none
Problems running Silverlight on a Mac

Question

• When running Silverlight 2.0.31005.0 on my Intel Macbook running Mac OSX 10.5.5, almost every Silverlight site I test with results in a blank page. The plugin is loaded (I can bring up the Silverlight preferences dialog), but no silverlight-rendered content is displayed, even after the browser indicates the page load is done.

- Behavior is the same whether I am running Safari (3.1.2) or Firefox (3.0.3).

I AM able to find a few Silverlight apps for which everything works as expected (about 5% of the sites I've tried):

- the Microsoft Silverlight Showcase (http://silverlight.net/showcase)
    - the "Lucky 7 Raffle Application" (located within the showcase)

These DON'T work and I really want to get them working:

- the NBC Olympics site (video player doesn't display)
    - the Netflix player (player won't even start, reports error 1001)

There is no error logging information I can find anywhere within the MacOSX Console.

Based on reading the various forums, here's what I have tried so far that hasn't made a difference:

- Ensure that the Arial and Verdana fonts are in the HD\Library\Fonts folder (suggested by Netflix's movie player) - including removing all other Arial/Verdana fonts
    - Reset the Display Profile within the System Preferences->Displays->Color window
    - Completely re-install QuickTime player and the Flip4Mac WMV Player
    - Ensured that all other Silverlight plugin versions are not installed

I'm dismayed that I am unable to find any logging or other debugging information about what's going on anywhere.

Thanks for any ideas or help you can provide.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

• I feel ur pain, because I find this is a gap MS needs to fix.  There is no real good guidance out there.  There was a blog post by an MSFT guy with several workarounds for Firefox/Mac.  However, Microsoft should really create a some whitepapers for Mac/Firefox distribution.

If you call MS about this they will not provide SL code support unless its on IE only.  (Dunno if that has changed since 2 months ago, but if you have an MSDN subscription you might be able to get them to help). 

Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:17 PM
  • In case it hasn't become apparent elsewhere, in order to add the fonts open your Font Book application (should be default in Leopard).

Select the Arial/Verdana font category if you have it in the list (if not, then I'm not sure what to tell you.)

Click File

Click Export Fonts

Save as the font name to something like your Desktop

Go to the created folder and open it to the font file just exported, copy it to your HD/Library/Fonts folder (because it likely is not there already).

Spotlight should run for Netflix via Firefox now, assuming both fonts are there and the silverlight plugin is installed.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 11:41 AM

All replies

• I feel ur pain, because I find this is a gap MS needs to fix.  There is no real good guidance out there.  There was a blog post by an MSFT guy with several workarounds for Firefox/Mac.  However, Microsoft should really create a some whitepapers for Mac/Firefox distribution.

If you call MS about this they will not provide SL code support unless its on IE only.  (Dunno if that has changed since 2 months ago, but if you have an MSDN subscription you might be able to get them to help). 

Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Thanks for the input.<p>

The thing is, I'm not writing or developing any code for Silverlight (so code support is not what I need).  I'm just trying to use Silverlight apps that are already out there at some pretty large sites (Microsoft's showcase, NBC Olympics, Netflix).<p>

If you do happen to hear of any change in the overall support for Safari or Firefox on Mac, please let me know.<p>

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:27 PM
  • In case it hasn't become apparent elsewhere, in order to add the fonts open your Font Book application (should be default in Leopard).

Select the Arial/Verdana font category if you have it in the list (if not, then I'm not sure what to tell you.)

Click File

Click Export Fonts

Save as the font name to something like your Desktop

Go to the created folder and open it to the font file just exported, copy it to your HD/Library/Fonts folder (because it likely is not there already).

Spotlight should run for Netflix via Firefox now, assuming both fonts are there and the silverlight plugin is installed.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Im having problems not so much with the app but the install, i can download and mount it but once i go to open the .pkg file it has no default app to open it in and do the actual install, and the only thing that does actually open it is X11 which does nothing for it. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  
    I have installed Silverlight on my macbook pro in order to instantly view Netflix video.  When I go to the Netflix site and try to open a video, I am getting an error 8007 message stating "You need to enable Silverlight application storage in order to watch this movie." The instruction dialogue says to right click on that screen and then click on "Silverlight configuration" - then allowing me to enable "application storage'.  However, when I control-click (its a mac) on that screen, I get a "Silverlight Preferences" (not "configuration") box.  Clicking on that results in a dialogue saying Silverlight preferences has "unexpectedly quit."  So then ... I cannot view the videos.  Any ideas?

Monday, December 08, 2008 10:06 PM
  • I am having this exact same problem in Firefox: (error 8007 message, I control-click on that screen, "Silverlight Preferences" tries to open, then crashes). I was on the phone with netflix tech support for at least 45 minutes yesterday trying to figure it out. What's really weird is that the netflix movies were playing perfectly a few days ago in Safari when I first downloaded Silverlight. I have no idea what changed but now they won't play in Safari or Firefox. The tech didn't mention anything about the Arial font but I just tried that and nothing changed. It's so frustrating! I had so many documentaries lined up in my queue :-(
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I don't think its Silverlight with the error...I think it is the Silverlight -> HTML integration that Netflix does that is causing a problem with some browsers.  Just like any HTML/Javascript quirks with all browsers.  This explains why Silverlight worked fine and doesn't now (Silverlight obviously didn't change).

Just a little tip on how development works inside Netflix, they make rolling releases/updates to their site since it is hosted.  Its not like you are getting release 2.0...your getting a certain sprint of the build.  Just several days ago they rolled out new functionality. 

This is what makes me think that the problem you are experiencing is not DIRECTLY with Silverlight, rather the coding algorith/architecture they are doing with the HTML integration is causing problems on a Mac.

Friday, December 12, 2008 9:22 PM
  •  

I had the same problem. SOLVED by complete reinstall of silverlight:

First remove:

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

/Library/Receipts/Silverlight*.pkg

~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Silverlight 

(where ~ is your home directory)

Reboot and empty trash.

Then:

• Go to  http://web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html
    • Install silverlight using this page.
    • Try to view the movie on this page (it uses silverlight.) This is the real test. It uses the same technology as netflix.
    • Select "streaming" and click "load selected material". Do not change the other two options (VC-1 advanced profile) and PlayReady.

After I did this netflix started working again! 

Big Smile 

I hope this works for you too!

Yossi.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Same problem! just on macbook. yforjorn- tried your steps multiple times the video will work perfectly, but netflix still does not. :( Please help.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:33 PM
  • My problem is similart and I don't seem to get a solution from anyone. I have an iBool G4 running Mac OS10.4.11 on a PPC. I installed Silverlight to watch TV (ITV player here in Britain needs it) and everything was fine using Firefox v2 and an earlier version of Safari. Since upgrading to Firefox v3 and Safari v3.2.1, Silverlight no longer works. What can I do? I can see no way on either the Firefox and Safari sites a means to re-install earlier versions.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Thanks, Yossi, that did the trick for me. When I was deleting the directories per your steps, I noticed that the ~/Library/Application\Support/Microsoft/Silverlight directory was not present.. I restarted my system (not sure if that is absolutely necessary but a clean start never hurts) and executed the install plugin pkg file (while Safari was not running). After this install the /Microsoft/Silverlight dir was successfully created in my home dir /Library/Application/Support, and of course Silverlight now runs fine. (I'm using Safari 3.2.1 on Mac OS 10.5.6 ) Thanks again.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 8:16 PM
  • I just tried installing on my sons Mac and although it seems to install OK - when I open a site with Silverlight, it says its not installed and asks me to download yet again. I last tried this a few months ago and hoped that Silverlight 3.0 would solve these problems, but alas it does not. Here's my message to Microsoft: UNLESS YOU GUYS CAN GET A SEAMLESS, ZERO-BUG SILVERLIGHT INSTALLATION ON MAC, LINUX AND WINDOWS YOU WILL NOT DISPLACE FLASH I'll simply wait until Silverlight 4 before trying again. I'll also not consider building Silverlight applications until I can do what my customers will want to do i.e. install it without bugs.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:06 PM
  •  Thanks much!!!

This resolved my problem. 

I was using Firefox 3.6.3 on OS X 10.6.3 and Netflix "Watch Instantly" stopped working out of the blue last week. My guess is that it was related to a recent Silverlight update.

Interestingly though, it still worked with Safari.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:03 PM
  • hi there, 

The plug-in is installed and enabled but still I seem unable to watch video. Sky Player for example which is what I am trying to access. 

The error message....

The page “Watch TV Online | Sky Player” has content of MIME type “application/x-silverlight-2”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Sam 

Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Thank you so much!! This was driving me crazy!!

Your help was greatly appriciated! It WORKS!!

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:31 PM
  • how did you solve you problem? i can't get netflix to start after the silverlight update.

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:21 AM
  • I have had no success in updating Silverlight (for Netflix). I am on Mac OS 10.6.8, using Firefox 6.

I successfully download and install Silverlight and the browser still shows that the package is not updated. But the plug in in my Library files is the most current.

I have uninstalled, re-installed, closed all browsers, re-started, re-downloaded the install package, and umpteen variations of these things  and nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Make sure “Safari Browser> Preferences> Security> Web content> Enable Plug-ins” is checked.

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:32 AM
  • I've tried to install Silverlight 5 multiple times on my MacBook Pro. Every time I click on 'Silverlight.pkg' after installing it, it won't guide me through the installation wizard and a white box with a code comes up. I can't watch anything on Netflix :( please help! Everything is enabled on my mac so I don't understand why I'm having this problem.

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:12 AM
  • What was the resolution for this problem?

Friday, May 04, 2012 10:32 AM
  • I've had this same exact problem and you are the only other person I've found who has it. If I understand correctly, you're not even given the chance to install Silverlight. I have deleted all traces of Silverlight from my computer as many have reccomended, and then downloaded various older versions of Silverlight, deleting it all again after doing so, but nothing has allowed me to even install the program.

Is there something we can manually open the Silverlight package with to begin installation? I don't understand. Other downloads are installing perfectly well. Any help would be appreciated!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:47 AM
  • I've tried to install Silverlight 5 multiple times on my MacBook Pro. Every time I click on 'Silverlight.pkg' after installing it, it won't guide me through the installation wizard and a white box with a code comes up. I can't watch anything on Netflix :( please help! Everything is enabled on my mac so I don't understand why I'm having this problem.

I've had this same exact problem and you are the only other person I've found who has it. If I understand correctly, you're not even given the chance to install Silverlight. I have deleted all traces of Silverlight from my computer as many have reccomended, and then downloaded various older versions of Silverlight, deleting it all again after doing so, but nothing has allowed me to even install the program.

Is there something we can manually open the Silverlight package with to begin installation? I don't understand. Other downloads are installing perfectly well. Any help would be appreciated!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:49 AM
  • I also have a Mac and am having problems with Netflix. I have used the streaming services for over a year now, with no problems whatsoever. Now, all of a sudden, I can't get the Netflix website to load. Not with Safari or Firefox. I can reach the initial sign-in page, but I can't get to my queue, streaming options, etc. My internet works just fine and I can get to other websites just as quickly as before. Someone on an Apple forum suggested I post here because it may have to do with a Silverlight issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm baffled as to why this is happening out of the blue. I am using a Macbook, 10.4.11.

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:38 PM