none
My thoughts on what should be included

General discussion

• I am loving Silverlight btw. I know the team is curious what items people are wanting included etc. I do understand also that Silverlight is meant to be light weight.

2 categories of things I want to see available:

1. Basic controls you see in HTML today. That way the community can extend very much the same manner HTML+Javascript does today.
    2. Layout.
        - Panels (Grid, Flow, Docking, Border!)
        - Layout properties which enable great UI customization (margins etc).

Now how do these get deployed? Perhaps they are not part of the Silverlight actual package. Perhaps they are simply developer libraries that IF you use them, the assembly is included in your project. This way the trade-off between rich libraries and size of Silverlight deployment package isn't as terrible of a trade off. Make it a developer library and I think this relieves this limitation.

I simply believe these are essential pieces. I do understand that the Silverlight package should not be bloated. If everything Silverlight provides, these controls can be implemented then a developer library should be good enough. As long as it contains the documentation and standards and consistency that we come to expect from Microsoft when it comes to controls in WPF and Winforms etc.

Thanks!

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:59 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback and for naming specific items...that's always useful for our planning/prioritization. As for #1, we've released a small set of controls as source code in the Silverlight 1.1 Alpha SDK. We expect app authors will use those and build other controls like those and bundle them with their apps. We will grow this list of controls so there is a basic set available out of the box. As for #2, a layout system and support for some good layout containers is indeed something we see doing in the near term. Stay tuned, and please keep the feedback coming. 

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:36 PM