none
Viewbox - just can't find it

Question

• I installed latest Silverlight toolkit and I was hopping to find Viewbox there to use it on Windows Phone, because when I open http://www.silverlight.net/content/samples/sl3/toolkitcontrolsamples/run/default.html clearly there is a Viewbox in Toolkit section. But Viewbox is nowhere to be found. I searched source code of Silverlight Toolkit and there is just no viewbox.

Did I miss something? Where is it?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Callah, 

In Silverlight 4, the Viewbox is in the core not the toolkit - so no namespace prefix is required. Just use <Viewbox> instead of <toolkit:Viewbox>.

Regards,
    Rob

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:32 AM
  • Hi,

I tried that, but I get "viewbox was not found. ...missing assembly reference...".

Is Silverlight for Windows Phone different, so that it doesn't include that control? I have VS2010 Express installed.

Thanks

Hi Callah, 

In Silverlight 4, the Viewbox is in the core not the toolkit - so no namespace prefix is required. Just use <Viewbox> instead of <toolkit:Viewbox>.

Regards,
    Rob

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Ah, sorry I forgot - Silverlight for Windows Phone is based on Silverlight 3, and the Viewbox isn't in the core. I don't know if you can use the Nov 2009 release of the toolkit (which targets Silverlight 3 and has the Viewbox in) with Windows Phone?

Regards,
    Rob

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:03 AM
  •  Thanks...it works!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Viewbox can be found in version 3 of the Silverlight SDK in System.Windows.Controls.Toolkit.dll.

See here for information on using these libraries in the April refresh of the Windows Phone 7 developer tools: http://www.manyniches.com/windows-phone/signed-assemblies-bug-in-the-windows-phone-tools-ctp-refresh/

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:47 AM
  • I can't see Viewbox in Expression Blend 4 Beta, with a Silverlight 3 project open, even though I have the following installed:

• Silverlight 3 SDK (installed with Blend?)
    • Silverlight 4 SDK (also installed with Blend?)
    • Silverlight 4 Toolkit

There's a System.Windows.Controls.Toolkit.dll in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\Toolkit\Apr10\Bin that seems to include Viewbox, but I can't use it in a Silverlight 3 project (probably by design).  I can use Viewbox in a Silverlight 4 project, but I can't run it cause I get a popup in IE saying my version has expired (maybe the Silverlight 4 Beta deadline is passed?).

There's no DLL in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v3.0\Libraries\Client that includes Viewbox, I think.

So, how can I get Viewbox?  I can't find a link to download the Silverlight 3 Toolkit on codeplex.

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Of course.  Of course after trying almost everything, I'd reach out to ask for help, and THEN figure out the answer.

Viewbox (and the other missing controls) are in the Silverlight 3 Toolkit, NOT in the Silverlight 3 SDK.  (That might be different for Windows Phone.  Perhaps Viewbox is in the SDK for Windows Phone.)

You can get the Silverlight 3 Toolkit from http://silverlight.codeplex.com/releases/view/36060.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:04 PM