none
SilverLight & D.R.M Content

Question

• Greetings,

I would like to know if it is possible to play DRM protected content with silverlight.
    Could it be possible to develop a silverlight browser application to read some media content and emulate the DRM fonctionnalities of windows media player ?

Thx for your answer.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• From the FAQ:

Will Silverlight support digital rights management?

For content providers, Silverlight will support digital rights management (DRM) built on the recently announced Microsoft PlayReady content access technology on Windows-based computers and Macintosh computers.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:53 PM
  • DRM will only be supported on Silverlight 1.1. 1.0 is not planned to support it.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Ok, so its good news. Thanks guys.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Microsoft annouced 2 DRM's yesterday

Play Ready Schedulded for next year and in 2.0+

and

Widevine Cypher  (from Widevine Technologies www.widevine.com).  The Widevine solution is available immediately and supports version 1.0 +

Ross

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:56 AM
  • Microsoft annouced 2 DRM's yesterday

Play Ready Schedulded for next year and in 2.0+

Is it true !!??

PlayReady will be released in 2009 ????

Please teach me the Microsoft Announce Web Site or any other links about it.

Satoru Koshiba

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Yes Play ready will not be Ready until at least 2009

That is why Microsoft did a deal with Widevine to provide a Silverlight DRM called Widevine Cypher for Digital Media

http://www.widevine.com/pr/150_silverlight.html

I saw it working in the Microsoft booth at NAB #SL5520...also you can see it and a Flash DRM by Widevine in the widevine booth C1251

Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Actually they didn't "do a deal" with Widevine. Widevine has their own encryption technology and they decided to launch this at NAB for Silverlight. Their technology is not, and never will be, compatible with PlayReady. It's an entirely seperate competitive technology.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Hello Chris,

Actually your are correct and incorrect...WIdevine did not do a deal with "Play Ready" and they are not compatile per se with Play Ready. 

However Microsoft's "Silverlight" team came to Widevine and requested that Widevine build a DRM for Silverlight.  In exchange for Widevine builing a DRM for Siliverlight Microsoft approved a  press release and gave Widevine space in the Microsoft booth to emo the Widevine DRM protecting Silverlight content.

Microsoft's Silverlight team did this so they would have an alternative to Play Ready especially considering the Play Ready delays.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Ross,

HUH? I never said WideVine did a deal with PlayReady. Maybe you are just confused. Thank you for the play by play...alas I already knew all of that but thanks. I was actually there :)  We did a release with Microsoft on the same day on the same subject.

No comment on your last statement.... just cannot speak to that.

Regards,

Christopher

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:06 AM
  • Oops yes I see I merged your first and last sentence...I thought you were saying that the "Play Reday" group did not do a deal with Widevine.  But you instead were saying that "Microsoft" did not do a deal with Widevine....Did I get that correct?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Yes that is what I said. They did a press released with them. There was no "deal" to be done. WideVine has their own technology that works with SilverLight and AFAIK they just did their own implementation and launched the product at NAB. So far not a lot of news there.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Actually there was a deal...the deal was please integrate with us so there is a viable DRM and we will do a press release and give you booth space.

what is AFAIK

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:37 PM
  • AFAIK= as far as I know and thank you for making that clear. I had wondered myself how they pulled that off given the lack of SDK on the PlayReady side.  John and his team do a bang up job with that product so it's good to see them getting some "space" as they say :)

we did a similar "deal" but missed the booth space part although we were pretty much just hanging out in their booth anyways kind of with the WideVine team just talking to people and helping guide solutions for the coming year. Good times !

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Hey Chris,

I guess the question is why does Silverlight need a DRM...It appears that everyone is deploying Flash without DRM.  I found this to be a useful tool fro recording pretty much everything on Amazon, Fancast, Hulu, etc...

Check out this tool and the ideas for watching without advetising is wonderful www.tvadfree.com

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Hey Ross. Who is Chris? :)  My friends call me Christopher.

The basic need to apply some form of content protection to Internet content is very relevant when you start to look at the paid media arena. Ad-supported content can benefit from DRM tremendously when you are talking about distributed and/or viral business models in P2P and F2F [forward to friend] environments.

That baing said, the current Ad-supported model for Flash now includes encrypted playlists, an encrypted version of RTMP, SWF hashing and a variety of other mechanisms which will thwart or disrupt or deny products like the one you mention. Of course by not watching the ads or participating in the sponsors' businesses, one is putting a timeline on the media they consume. That's a risk you take I guess :)

Adobe released a new version of FMRMS today which has greatly expanded their ability to provide paid, ad-supported and enterprise access control for Flash Media. It's safe to expect an expansion of these technologies in the marketplace.

For Silverlight, DRM affords Windows Media content to become part of more and more PC / Mobile / Lean Back business models. Comes With Music is the first of these models. Device agnostic Zune will be the next wave and I predict an overall surgence of DRM-enabled models where Silverlight is in play.

A good example of a blended Silverlight / DRM business model is in play here: 

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=954600#PlayerOpen

ABC is a customer of ours and we think their experience and product is very viable and will kick off a wave of pay-media. It's similar to the product we launched for TV-NZ:

http://tvnzondemand.co.nz/

This model is a blended ad-supported, pay-media model. Our research shows this to be a strong candidate for the future of how Television specific media is consumed via the Internet.

I hope this information is helpful and I guess we are the lone rangers on this forum... for now :)

Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Hello Christopher,

Try out that media catcher on pay content from Amazon....you will see amazing results you get when you do not have DRM!!!

And Amazon uses RTMPE and swf verfication .... oh but they are still not protecting the content!!!  oh my 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Which pay-content are you referring to sorry not following you.

How did you come to the conclusion they are using RTMPe and SWF hashing?  just curious. If that app has cracked RTMPe I would be suprised but not too suprised and definitely not suprised at all when Adobe closes the gap on it.

Soon I am confident Amazon will be using FMRMS.

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:11 PM
  • hello

>Soon I am confident Amazon will be using FMRMS.

I am very interested in FMRMS, because recently Flash is getting more and more market share at internet video in JAPAN.

But i am the Microsoft FAN Big Smile ,so i am thinking how to re-get market share by using Microsoft Digital Media Technologies.

5 years ago i developed D.R.M software to protect FlashVideo by using WindowsRMS.

And now PlayReady was releasedWink

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Silverlight 2 supports DRM. See MSDN article on this here: Silverlight Digital Rights Management (DRM)

Thursday, November 06, 2008 1:21 PM
  • um ok was that news?   :)

Thursday, November 06, 2008 1:27 PM
  • I will start to evaluate Adobe FMRMS from next Monday.

It was very very expensive Crying

*there is no evaluation version.....

As far as i know there are no V.O.D service provider which are using FMRMS.

If anyone know V.O.D serivce using FMRMS , please teach me.

And my friend (he is FlashVideo engineer) said that FMRMS is more secure than WindowsMediaDRM/PlayReady.

It is true ? Is there no tool likes FairUse4WM to crack FMRMS ??

Friday, November 07, 2008 8:34 AM
  • I will start to evaluate Adobe FMRMS from next Monday.

It was very very expensive Crying

*there is no evaluation version.....

Yeah it's about $35,000 for the FMRMS bits. I would recommend you hold off on doing any evaluations right now and go speak to the FMRMS business lead about the status of the product.

They will be releasing a product at some point that Providers like BuyDRM can offer a hosted ASP FMRMS solution.

As far as i know there are no V.O.D service provider which are using FMRMS.

If anyone know V.O.D serivce using FMRMS , please teach me.

There are not as of yet because Adobe has not released the product to their service provider partners as of yet.

And my friend (he is FlashVideo engineer) said that FMRMS is more secure than WindowsMediaDRM/PlayReady.

It is true ? Is there no tool likes FairUse4WM to crack FMRMS ??

Yes and if a fish dies in the middle of the ocean does anyone really know? FMRMS has not been released yet so sure there are no tools to crack it as of yet because it's not a technology in play. Once it is in the public domain and well deployed and in play I imagine there will be attacks and I imagine that Adobe will respond in kind. 

Friday, November 07, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Maybe that is why it is so secure!  if you never release it to the market it will never be broken :-)

I heard that Adobe has abandoned thier rights management project ....what have you heard

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hello All

Adobe FMRMS is great if you use downloadable content, RSS feed for distributing content or Flash Streaming, the DRM supports "Membership" business models only.

Right now only AMP or apps built on Adobe AIR work with FMRMS.

Playready / Silverlight DRM, supports the following.

Playready DRM works native in Silverlight player and is great for VOD.WMDRM in the Silverlight player is supported if you use a playready server to issue out the cocktail DRM licenses.If you’re looking for examples or to use a hosted model you can look at ezdrm.com we offer a hosted DRM for FMRMS, Playready, and WMDRM.

Thanks DE

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Are there any public FMRMS sites that you support?  I just read the technology wasn't ready for primetime- that no one is using it.  what your site says about AIR and AMP- I also read much of that tech was going away.

...looking at your site, it states that you offer FMRMS/ Silverlight DRMs and you even have a page of general tech information- but do you currently offer these technologies?! 

TEXT FROM YOUR SITE:

We are very proud to announce the addition of 2 new DRM technologies to our portfolio: Adobe's FMRMS (Flash Media Rights Management Server) and Microsoft's PlayReady DRM for Silverlight. While we finalize the legalese, please feel free to familiarize yourself with the technologies and our plans for this offering.

What does that last sentence mean, "while we finalize the legalese...plans"?  I had "plans" to build a treehouse when I was a kid- three stories of arboreal homeownership- is that what you are referring to?  Still confused here I guess.  Honestly this just seems like sales guy double speak.  Does your manager know you are posting on this board?  If I'm wrong, lmk; your site Contact Us form seems to be broken.  Geeked

It's a very frustrating time in the market- I'm a buyer RIGHT NOW- I'm fairly technical- currently out sourcing availalble technologies- totally annoyed with the varied stories I hear from companies like MS, Adobe, Vusion, Veramatrix, WVine.

It may sound funny but Integrity is everything in Hollywood- to a lesser extent in other parts of the world.  PPV is the method, someone please show me the means.

Thanks,

JackieP

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Hello,

We currently offer it!, we are in the process of launching a new site "a site refresh look and feel", this is why the site said that we are finalizing the legalese, such as terms used on the web site and co branding with Adobe/MS/other partners.

But if you’re looking to test the solution you can now! We offer Proof of Concept accounts that let you try before you buy to make sure it’s what you’re looking for.

Or

Looking to buy, you can NOW as well.

We have several companies who are beta testing it and about to launch into production in a few weeks so no customer references just yet. I assure you in a few months you will be surprised how many new sites will be using Adobe DRM , Playready DRM, as well as, WMDRM in the Silverlight Player for their current WMDRM content.

As for your comment about Adobe DRM not prime time, I don’t know where you get your facts but it is prime time, it’s new and many companies are in the process of adding these features.

So you can contact sales, they work 9-5 EST.

I am not sure what issues you had with the contact us, many people use the form and it works just fine for them.

www.ezdrm.com

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:31 PM
  • what version of FMRMS are you running- 1.5?  this isn't just FMS3 link obs. is it?  i still can't get a straight answer from Adobe about RTMP-e and the recording apps which allow you to record the supposedly secure files.

sad again- so your pricing looked great- then i checked deeper into your site...it seems your highest level of support- and why would anyone in business use anything less- you charge $419.00 a month for your premium package. 

what is it companies actually get for the $49.00 and $150 packages? some technology that may work or not and a hug with a "good luck buddy"?  so it's a gamble- like buying health insurance- to use your lower level support packages.  Sad

i guess we come from different ends of the stick; i would never use a technical product/service for online sales with anything less than the highest level of support possible for all customers.  one outtage could lose every customer we worked so hard to get.  if a customer has a bad experience, they may never come back- or at least- they may start looking for other sources for media.

pretty shocking actually--$ my fees for using your product just went from $150/ a month to $569.00 a month.  lol you- no thank you.  i'm really surprised that you advertise your pricing to be so low when in reality, anyone in business, who hopes to stay in business- would require full support.  maybe your business people can explain this to you.

can anyone suggest a DRM service provider who is cheaper, without all that support level pricing bs- with solid service?  Adobe couldn't name a service provider for FMRMS when pressed, I'm waiting on a response from my MS biz dev guy now.  i never thought this would be the hardest piece of the puzzle to fit.  sourcing DRMs makes procuring processing and CDN seem ez...

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Hello,

We are running 1.5 we have been working with Adobe for over a year starting with the beta of 1.0 and have helped in several ways to make the product work better in a hosted environment.

Yes we have some higher priced support, but in reality only a few clients have ever signed up for that level of support initially and then saw it was not required. Since we are month to month billing a user can drop down in support at any time if they sign up for a higher support plan. What we normally see is a user uses the "Pro" account since support is included and 99% of all clients are more than happy with the support we offer at that level.

We support all our clients fully even the small clients on "basic accounts" and never leave anyone out, so your worries about support are not needed, we can offer many references that use basic support and get all they help they need.
    We walk user though setup and other custom configurations over the phone and email depending on the complexity of the issue, we do WebEx’s to insure out clients get the best level of support.

I will once again state that we are an Adobe FMRMS partner and Microsoft partner. We offer hosted DRM for an affordable price and we supply outstanding support that is bundled with our "Pro" packages so you don’t need to buy the most expensive support we offer.

Your comments are becoming a little un-factual about our products because you don’t have all the facts and as I stated we can offer countless references from over the 8 years of Hosted DRM experiences, and we know how hard it is to build clients and how easy it is to lose them.

So to answer your question about a DRM provider who is "cheap" without the support "BS" the true answer is EZDRM.com, contact us directly and find out for yourself.

So if you are serious about learning more this is not the location to hash out all your questions.

I invite you to contact sales to learn more and to fully answer your questions if you are truly serious instead of the ping pong on this form about Silverlight and adobe DRM.

Thank you

www.ezdrm.com

Friday, May 22, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Hmm so again, you only need support when you need it!?!  I have never heard of "half-way" support or "good enough" support.  Maybe I'm just a dumb LA media guy but- this just sounds like more marketing double-speak- either you need support or you don't and your tools work or they don't..so not sure about this comment from above, "We support all our clients fully even the small clients on "basic accounts" and never leave anyone out, so your worries about support are not needed, we can offer many references that use basic support and get all they help they need."

How can this statement be true at the lowest support levels?  What does never leave anyone out mean?  No child left behind?  Since I have a real media offering that thousands of surfers will be hitting daily- again, it makes no sense to get anything but the highest level of support. 

Again, no website can afford to fall down; offering anything but the highest level of support to all customers makes poor business sense.  It may make your pricing more appealing to the novice/ MomPoPShop but as a buyer and a media expert- it sounds cheap, deceptive and far far worse- irresponsible.  It's like inviting customers to fail based on pricing for unforeseeable outcomes.  This is media not insurance- we're not gambling that nothing will go wrong and hoping for the best.  I really think your bosses should review your go-to-market pitch; this just doesn't jibe with me.

Your website declares that you are a "Microsoft Certified DRM Solution" but I couldn't find out any information on the MS site about a DRM certification program like they have for Streaming.  Can you tell me more about the DRM certification process that you went through- something to assure me that you have this level of approval by Microsoft since I couldn't find any on the Microsoft site or any other Certified DRM partners in the market.  I asked some of your competitors, big companies- they had no idea about the program- said it didn't exist.  Is this just more "marketing"?

Service QUESTIONS: Do you offer CDN Services?  If not, who do you recommend for streaming and downloads?  Do you offer shopping cart services?  What do you offer besides DRM?  How much would you charge for a combined 3 technology service at the highest levels of support?  Your company is not out of the running, just am still confused by some of your responses and the pricing piece.  Do you offer PDF or Image Security?  CMS, publishing, syndication- etc?

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hello,

Support is for helping you in your integration, end client support, and so on.

It seems you like to use this form for all your questions instead of actually call us and hashing out all the facts.

Our clients large and small learn very quickly once the system is running it does not really break, and yes I know every now and then all technology has issues but it’s for the most part rock solid.

I agree with you as I stated before, no web site can afford downtime, but "support" such as the higher levels of support we offer don’t equate to less downtime, they equate to integration help, additional custom code, end client support  and issues/questions you may run into now and then within a certain response time.

As I stated before if you have doubts about the support we offer and need to hear feedback from our clients we can provide references from all support levels and business types.

Our infrastructure is very sound and thus we can offer "near zero" downtime

As for your partner comment, we are a MS partner; we are listed on several of MS websites along with some of our competitors. We interface often with MS with the product team, dev team and business teams. We constantly update MS with details about our clients/volume and other aspects.

You can read more about it on

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/partners/benefits.aspx

You can see a list of partners in the WMDRM and Silverlight area on the below links

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/service_provider/software/default.aspx

And

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/partners/directory.aspx

We don’t offer CDN, we work with several CDN's on the market such as level 3 and so on, we don’t offer a shopping cart we don’t do payment processing and other things.

Our take on things:
    Most of our clients who come to us already have a functional online business, and we have no need to make them change anything no need to change CDN's, web site VOD solution they could be using, Shopping carts, ect.......

They wish to be able to add DRM to their content for added security, usage control, and or other business requirements for DRM, so we developed our solution that ties easily into what they already have.

For clients who are entering into the space and ask about shopping carts, CDN's, hosting, ect..... We do offer suggestions as well as refer them to other companies we worked with in the past. 

We currently offer WMDRM, Adobe FMRMS and Silverlight/Playready DRM, thus we don’t do DRM for PDF and other types of content.

Your question about pricing, this thread was about questions on FMRMS and Silverlight/Playready and is why we initially posted a reply to the thread giving our input on the topic. If you wish to talk pricing, features and what you really need to make sure you’re running with no downtime. Contact us, our number is on the “contact us” web page or you can email us which ever you decide.

www.EZDRM.com

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Ok well thank you for responding.  So what level of support is "Good Enough"?  Should I get the basic support package for fifty bucks/mo?  What level of support would you use, if you were trying to make $ from videos and not from companies making money from videos?

Still waiting for an answer from this Q from above: 

Your website declares that you are a "Microsoft Certified DRM Solution" but I couldn't find out any information on the MS site about a DRM certification program like they have for Streaming. 

Can you tell me more about the DRM certification process that you went through- something to assure me that you have this level of approval by Microsoft since I couldn't find any on the Microsoft site or any other Certified DRM partners in the market. 

I asked some of your competitors, big companies- they had no idea about the program- said it didn't exist.  Is this just more "marketing"?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:32 PM
  •  

Again I suggest you contact us directly so we can understand your business model/needs and then we can properly suggest the proper technology such as FMRMS, WMDRM, Silverlight DRM powered by Playready and or a combination. Once we know the technologies you should use then pick the proper "EZDRM Plan" that for you.

I don't plan on assuming anything about your business needs so I won't just suggest a plan or technology, but I can tell you most clients are EZDRM Pro clients and take it from there as their business matures/evolves. Now that we have launched FMRMS and Silverlight DRM a huge amount of WMDRM clients are branching out into these.

Such things we need to understand before we help you decide on a technology to use and what "Plan" fits your best we need to know if you're VOD, Membership, Music, how many members you have, content type, if WMDRM or Silverlight or Flash is the best for you needs. We need to know some details about your backend setup and so forth.

As for our partnership and certifications, a lot has changed in years since the idea of a License Provider Service built on Windows Media 9. On the MS site there used to be more details on WMDRM and service providers such as these old links that don't exist any longer.

Many DRM providers were once listed on:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/service_provider/programs/wmsp

and

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/drm/9series/providers.aspx

That listed us and others, back when WMDRM was new to the market there was more "required" from a company to be verified by MS. It was not like the "hosting/streaming certification" but a process that checked how many clients we support details on our backed, how many MS certified engineers we had on staff. So forth and so on.

Now that MS is more focused on Playready DRM and Silverlight DRM powered by Playready, the new certification process is re invented by the windows media team and you can look at the links in the above chat to look at what one requires now to be Silverlight partner.

If you wish to know more about us, then as I have been saying contact us directly and find out all the answers you need.

The rest of the answers to your "Q" are easier answered directly.

So I hope all have benefited from out comments about FMRMS and Silverlight DRM powered by Playready.

If anyone wants to learn more about what each can do and how to best use them, contact us, we will be glad to speak with you on the topic.

Thanks

www.ezdrm.com

Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Wow looks like I missed quite a bit of back and forth while I was on vacation :)

So to clear up any confusion, Microsoft's official list of licensed PlayReady Service Providers can be viewed here:

http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/Licensing/engageprovider.mspx

Unlike WMRM, Microsoft is working hard to roll this technology out to the marketplace through key technology partners using significant future-facing strategy. The goal is to enable the marketplace to utilize complex Silverlight DRM [PlayReady baseline DRM technology for Silverlight Plug-in] offerings to power customer success stories.

BuyDRM has contributed a significant amount of effort to this rollout including:

1. Being the first company to publicly announce support for Silverlight DRM:

http://www.buydrm.com/pr_silverlight.html

2. Providing advanced technolgy demos of  future versions of the technology at NAB and SME [Live Silverlight DRM for Smooth Streaming] :

http://www.buydrm.com/silverlight/index.html

3. Launching the World's first Silverlight DRM Solution:

http://www.buydrm.com/pr_qtrax.html

and we are close to being the first provider in the world to offer Silverlight DRM for Smooth Streaming for both Live and On-Demand content. 

Silverlight DRM is definitely not a replacement for WMRM but it can enhance online streaming models for both the PC and Mac.

We have more information about our offering available at http://www.silverlightdrm.com/

In regards to Flash DRM, we spent a considerable amount of time working with Adobe over the past two years to refine their Flash DRM rollout. The first version of FMRMS just wasn't viable in the marketplace as it put quite a bit of unnecessary burden on DRM Service Providers, didn't support enough business models, was bound to pre-made logic that wasn't realistic and it required the content owner/licensee to deploy an Adobe Integrated Runtime-based application.

As a result, Adobe made some significant changes to the platform which will hit the market, along with BuyDRM's help, later this year. The major features will be support for the Flash plug-in natively in the browser sans AIR and the ability for DRM providers to support the product similar to their WMRM or SL DRM offerings.

Hope all of this helps the conversation and adds value.

Christopher

Christopher Levy

clevy@buydrm.com

http://www.buydrm.com
    http://www.thedrmblog.com/
    http://www.silverlightdrm.com

Monday, June 15, 2009 1:56 PM
  • To all on the list. Today we made this exciting announcement:

BuyDRM Launches KeyOS Smooth DRM Service for Smooth Streaming

KeyOS Support for Silverlight DRM powered by PlayReady Built-In to InletHD Spinnaker 4.1

Austin, TX, Monday, August 14th:  BuyDRM, the leader in Rights Management solutions for premium digital media, announced today it is further enhancing its KeyOS platform with the addition of the KeyOS Smooth DRM Service for Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Smooth Streaming content, to better meet the growing demand for true high-definition (HD) video (1080p) with uninterrupted delivery. The KeyOS Smooth DRM Service provides an integrated content encryption and license delivery platform that supports the most popular business models including Pay-Per-View, Subscription and Ad-Supported methods for both live and on-demand content.

To streamline the live encryption process for IIS Smooth Streaming, BuyDRM has partnered with encoding industry leader InletHD to integrate the KeyOS Smooth DRM Service into the Inlet Spinnaker 4.1 release slated for later this month. Spinnaker users will be able to apply real-time PlayReady encryption to their IIS Smooth Streaming content merely by selecting KeyOS from a drop-down menu in the Spinnaker software. All key exchange between Spinnaker and KeyOS is  secure, robust and fully automated.

"Inlet Technologies is pleased to partner with BuyDRM to provide another market-leading innovation in streaming," said John Bishop, senior VP of business development and strategy, Inlet Technologies. "BuyDRM's built-in support of KeyOS in Inlet's Spinnaker will allow customers to quickly and easily take advantage of IIS Smooth Streaming and PlayReady technologies, giving viewers a fantastic experience while at the same time giving content owners confidence that their content is fully protected."

"As a leader in this space, BuyDRM has rolled out yet another DRM technology improvement to KeyOS that provides our customers with future-proofed solutions for their premium content" said Christopher Levy, CEO, BuyDRM . "This inclusion of KeyOS Support in Spinnaker 4.1 will make the application of industrial-strength DRM a transparent process while decreasing the complexity of deploying DRM."

"BuyDRM has developed a robust Smooth DRM Service for IIS Smooth Streaming content playback to Microsoft Silverlight-based media players," said Steve Sklepowich, director for Silverlight at Microsoft Corp. "Microsoft looks forward to working closely with BuyDRM to create high quality video experiences for users of premium digital media protected experiences."

About BuyDRM:               

BuyDRM's is the leading Rights Management and Media Technologies company- servicing the Entertainment, Enterprise and Education Industries.  Broadcasters, Telcos, ISPs and Private Media Companies use BuyDRM's award-winning KeyOS Rights Management Platform to efficiently Market, Monitor and Monetize their broadband, set-top Box and mobile media offerings.   KeyOS supports both the PC and Mac platforms via the Windows Media Rights Management and PlayReady DRM technologies. BuyDRM is the first company in the World to offer Windows Media DRM, Silverlight DRM and Smooth DRM.

For More Information Please Visit:  http://www.buydrm.com/ and  http://www.smoothdrm.com/

CONTACT

BuyDRM - Media Relations

Jessica Sinn

Jessica@buydrm.com

All trademarks are properties of their respective owners.

Christopher Levy

clevy@buydrm.com

Monday, September 14, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Hi all !

Got a question regarding DRM.  Here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc838192(VS.95).aspx#considerations_for_using_playready_encryption_versus_wmrm_encryption, it's said that currently LIVE streaming can only be done using WMDRM and not Playready pure solution. Is it still true ? Will this change with the smooth streaming thing ?

Thanks for the answer.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:04 AM
  • It will be available in the next 30 days:

From:  http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Microsoft-Previews-Silverlight-4-Features-Launches-New-Media-Services-754607/

IIS Media Services with Live Smooth Streaming and the Smooth Streaming player development kit will be released within the next 30 days. More information about IIS Media Services and making the switch to Smooth Streaming is available at http://iis.net/media. 

Christopher Levy

clevy@buydrm.com

Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Allright, so SL4 will bring the protected streaming with RealPlay... Thanks for the answer !

Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:52 AM
  • I think you mean PlayReady which is the baseline DRM technology compatible with Silverlight Player. Actually this feature is out now and was available in v2 as well as v3.

For a demo of it in action go to www.silverlightdrm.com and click on the "Silverlight DRM Demo" button

Live Support is available today for Windows Media via WinMedEnc v9 using Silverlight DRM.

Smooth DRM for Smooth Streaming is coming out very shortly as well.

For more info www.smoothdrm.com

Regards,

Christopher Levy

clevy@buydrm.com
    http://www.smoothdrm.com 

Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:13 PM
  •  Thanks for the answer, I was indeed meaning PlayReady, sorry for the name confusion ^^

My problem is that in the link I gave you earlier (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc838192(VS.95).aspx#considerations_for_using_playready_encryption_versus_wmrm_encryption), it says that PlayReady can only be used with preencrypted content and not with Live content. In the case of real Live, only WMDRM can be used. What I wanted to know is if that is really the case in SL 3... Moreover, from what I understood, and that was confirmed in the article you pointed me to, that is no longer the case in SL 4.

Friday, September 18, 2009 3:35 AM
  • So the reason only WMRM can be used with PlayReady for Live right now is that the Live Smooth Streaming server is not out. Once it hits within the next 30 days, you will be able to do live provided you are working with BuyDRM and an Inlet or Envivio or Digital Rapids.

Hope this helps. 

Christopher Levy

clevy@buydrm.com

Friday, September 18, 2009 12:13 PM
  •  Ho, did not see you answered me, thanks :) This was precisely what I wanted to know !

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Hello All

Just so that all the facts are out there.

The question is about doing native PlayReady DRM protection to live streams.

This is independent to IIS7 and smooth streaming as well as any other hosting features.You have 2 ways to do live streaming, WME as well know the Silverlight DRM works with WMDRM so doing a live stream/DRM you can use the WME.The second isThe PlayReady PC SDK, when licensed lets you build a way to do live encryption; this is native PlayReady AES encryption.

I hope this sheds the full light on your question and answer.

David Eisenbacherwww.ezdrm.com

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:52 PM
  • To all on this thread, I just got back from my quarterly meetings with the PlayReady and Silverlight teams. The "facts" were already out there but to augment my posting here goes:

1. Yes you can do PlayReady live using WMV content for Silverlight Player. No suprise there. Of course this is so 80's and WMV is on it's way out. WMENC v9 is also a 5 year old product I think and assuredly will have an EOL very soon. Microsoft is no longer pushing WMRM or WMV via PlayReady

2. For Live Smooth Streaming, which is where the entire marked headed about 9 months ago, you have to use a licensed PlayReady provider or do your own license with MS. THIS REQUIRES IIS7 which will launch in a matter of days.  Of course I hardly recommend you go license the PlayReady PC SDK from Microsoft to build a live encoder and packager is it's a_lot_of_work. InletHD and Envivio and Digital Rapids have spent considerable resources doing so. Take a look at what they are doing.

Regards,

Christopher Levy

clevy@buydrm.com

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:12 PM