none
Sound Problem with Microsoft Silverlight 2.0

Question

• Hi,

I recently tried to use Microsoft Silverlight with various different websites offering web tv. The first one was SKY Player, then I tried ITV Catchup and got the same problem. 

I was prompted to install Microsoft Silverlight - but when i try and watch any stream I get a major sound problem.

The sound starts, but then gets stuck like a CD skipping and the sound is just repeating itself. This continues througout the stream.

I have no problem with Flash based streaming such as BBC iplayer and You Tube.

I have double checked the problem by trying to find a stream on the official silverlight website and found the same problem. (http://virtualeye.lvps09.com/)

Any Help?

Thanks

CNagra

Thursday, February 05, 2009 12:55 PM

Answers

•  Aha! This has been a huge headache for me also. I have a Sony Vaio desktop and am getting the same audio results as you all. I finally figured out my problem and hopefully this can help all of you with Vaios. I removed Sonic Stage Audio Filter and refreshed the webpage and lo and behold the angel choir sang loud and clear. Give it a try if you have sonic stage, which doesn't do anything extraordinary anyway. Hours and hours of time spent on this and I can finally watch my netflix videos...

Hope this helps

Good luck all!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:39 PM

All replies

•  Hi CNagra,

I was prompted to install Microsoft Silverlight - but when i try and watch any stream I get a major sound problem.

The sound starts, but then gets stuck like a CD skipping and the sound is just repeating itself. This continues througout the stream.

Did you use Expression Encoder to encode the videos?

I opend the link:  http://virtualeye.lvps09.com, and found the vedios has no sound problem in my browser..

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Hi Amanda, 

I haven't encoded any videos, I have only tried to view some on the net. Everytime i try and view a Microsoft Silverlight video i get the same problem. The videos I have tried have been on sites ITV Player, SKY Player and http://virtualeye.lvps09.com/.

I have now found a new site http://silverlight.net/fox/ which has some examples with sound.

I get the same stuttering sound once the movie starts but have no problem with other videos.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:30 PM
  • hi,

I am not developing any videos, I am simply trying to view exisiting Microsoft Silverlight videos on the internet. 

Any Silverlight video I view on the internet has the same sound problem.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

i downloaded the video[wmv] format and ran in my Windows Media Player 11/ RealPlayer, and it is working fine.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/e/f7ed1b87-7b8b-4f7d-ac3c-c08e8a8ee94c/WinVideo-Silverlight2Button-CustomLook.wmv

1. Did you download the wmv version? Did you check it with other player like RealPlayer? Did you check on other PC beside your notebook?

If the problem exist on other pc beside your notebook then redownload the file again. However, if only happens with your notebook with every player, then my best guess is that you have some media player latest codec missing. Try installing the latest codec and do try on other notebook to see if this problem re-occur.

Have a try

and if the post was helpful then please 'Mark as Answer' - many thanks

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:15 PM
  • same issue here. i often get this skipping while watching netflix movies
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:51 AM
  • check out: http://silverlight.net/fox/

Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:43 AM
  •  ok - checked it out - doesn't solve the problem

Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

I can't test it on any other laptops as I dont have access to any.

I tried playing it through RealPlayer and getting the same problem.

I also have installed the latest K-Lite Codec (FULL), so I should have the latest codecs.

I have no other problems with any other formats or Flash Streaming, its just Silverlight

Any other help?

Thanks

Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hi

I have exactly the same sound problem (continuous clicking noise during whole stream) trying to play catch up on itv.com with my Vaio media center.

Same problem with other Silverlight sites.

Other streaming works fine.

Very frustrated.

I hope this week's update would fix - no!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:55 PM
  •  Hi,

It sound like it might be a sony vaio problem? that is the same make laptop I have - could it be related to the sound or graphics cards Sony use?

Thanks

Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:01 PM
  • I think I'm witnessing the same fault trying to stream itv player content and the other suggestions on this thread using a Firefox browser (couldn't get IE to work at all, but didn't try hard and probably not relevant). I'm also using a Sony Vaio product, a desktop PC, VGC-VA1. Don't know what the sound card is, but there are some other posts elsewhere postulating Silverlight is not compatible with all sound cards.

For me the fault manifests as a regular repetition of the same brief sample sound, often like the backing on Buddy Holly's "Everyday" record. Until a couple of weeks ago I could use the itv player quite happily. I'm not sure if they had been using an older version of Silverlight or something entirely different, but I've had nothing but Buddy Holly's wet fish slap sound ever since I downloaded Silverlight 2.

Friday, February 27, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Hi again

Yes, I think it is a Sony problem.

My VGX-XL100 Media Center uses a Sigmatel CXD9872RD chip.  The driver I use is 5.10.5147.0 for XP MCE.  This is the latest on the Sony support site.

This machine is connected into my entertainment system and I would really like to get it to run Silverlight. 

I cannot find a Sigmatel site to look for an update.  I don't trust Driver Detective which says there is an update.

Does anyone know where I can look.

My Vaio laptop has a Realtek chip and works perfectly with ITV.com.

Cheers  

Monday, March 02, 2009 2:05 PM
  • I built new computer with ASUS P5N-D motherboard.I then went to NETFLIX, and it Installed Sliverlight 2.0.40115.0

Results: "Sound Problem with Microsoft Silverlight 2.0"

I then updated drivers for the Realtek High Definiton Audio to 5.10.0.5804, NO JOY

To test I went to http://silverlight.net/ and then to http://www.trt.com.tr/Canli/AnaSayfa.aspx?Kanal=TV1

I stopped running the scripts on the webpage and JOY- JOY, I had sound in a silverlight player.

I then knew it was a netflix issue.

I went to the Microsoft Silverlight configuration (by right clicking in the player), and selected  the "Application Storage" tab and deleted netflix.com

JOY-JOY sound now works in the netflix player.

I need this win, I just got layed-off from IBM after ten years on thier level 2 help desk. And now I know I am still the man, someone needs to hire me, I fixed this.

dennis_linux@yahoo.com

Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid.

I already have nothing in Silverlight's "Application Storage" tab.

What is Netflix? Is it a site which is running Silverlight? Do you get the same fault and solution through other sites?

Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Ok, the steps were:

1) Install the latest version of sliverlight. I went to Netflix and it installed Sliverlight 2.0.40115.0. You can goto netflix.com and sign up for free trial to install and test sliverlight.

2) Do you have the same results? "Sound Problem with Microsoft Silverlight 2.0"

3) If so update your systems audio drivers.

4) Then test by going to http://silverlight.net/ and then go to http://www.trt.com.tr/Canli/AnaSayfa.aspx?Kanal=TV1

5) Stop running the scripts on the webpage, what are your results? Is it still ""Sound Problem with Microsoft Silverlight 2.0""?

Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:05 PM
  •  Hi,

I have also done the following and it still doesn't work..

1) Installed the latest siverlight (Silverlight 2 GDR 1 (2.0.40115.0))

2) Installed the latest Realtek Audio Driver (5.10.0.5809)

3) Played http://www.trt.com.tr/Canli/AnaSayfa.aspx?Kanal=TV1

4) Still have repetitive sound problem!

What do you mean by stopping the script? I have looked in the 'Application Storage' area in the settings and there is nothing there.

Thanks for the help so far...

CNagra

Sunday, March 29, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Ok,

1) What chipset sound card do you have? You "Installed the latest Realtek Audio Driver (5.10.0.5809)", is realtek your chipset for your sound card?

2) If Realtek is your chipsed, and you have the latest driver for your sound card, and the sound still fails at http://www.trt.com.tr/Canli/AnaSayfa.aspx?Kanal=TV1, then issue could be your sound card. Check with microsoft for a "Silverlight" supported cheep sound card and test with that.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and have tried everything suggested in this thread with no success. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling both Silverlight and the Auzentech drivers to no avail.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1, Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 w/ latest drivers. Latest Silverlight from silverlight.net. This is a home-brew system, so this issue is NOT a Sony issue as someone suggested.

The sound skipping issues occur in all Silverlight sites, but this is really bothering me since it's not letting me watch Netflix movies, so I feel like I'm paying for a service but the Silverlight software is preventing me from using it. Other things (Flash video players, Windows Media, Quicktime, iTunes, etc) work fine and the sound come out great - it's just Silverlight that has issues.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 9:10 AM
  •  Aha! This has been a huge headache for me also. I have a Sony Vaio desktop and am getting the same audio results as you all. I finally figured out my problem and hopefully this can help all of you with Vaios. I removed Sonic Stage Audio Filter and refreshed the webpage and lo and behold the angel choir sang loud and clear. Give it a try if you have sonic stage, which doesn't do anything extraordinary anyway. Hours and hours of time spent on this and I can finally watch my netflix videos...

Hope this helps

Good luck all!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Shinerpod is right.  Exit Vaio's Sonic Stage Audio Filter and Silverlight sound works again (tested using http://silverlight.net/fox).  Thank you, Shinerpod.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Thanks for the help guys - Shinerpod is correct - this sorts all sound problems out.

I can now Silverlight videos perfectly.

I have marked the correct answer

Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:29 PM
  •  Brilliant! I ditched Sonic Stage Audio Filter altogether (just switching it off didn't seem to work) and now the repetitive wet fish slap is a thing of the past. No ill effects so far. I'd been wanting to watch FA cup football on itv.com as it isn't broadcast on STV, so this is just in time for the semi-finals. Thanks Shinerpod!

Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Thank you, too, Cnagra, for starting this post and keeping with it.

I mentioned above that you have to "Exit" the Sonic Stage filter.  To be explicit, I am talking about the Sonic Stage Mastering Studio Audio Filter.  When you start it, it sets itself up as an icon in the Windows tray.  When the filter it "OFF," the icon displays the word, "OFF."  This isn't enough to avoid sound  problems with Silverlight.  To avoid sound problems with Silverlight, you have to right-click on the icon and select "Exit."  That's enough for Silverlight sound to work.  You don't have to use the Add or Remove Programs utility to remove it.  Someday, Microsoft Corporation or Sony Electronics, Inc. might fix the conflict.

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:32 AM
  •  No problem. I know how frustrating the issues was for me. I went through the ringer with both microsoft and netflix. And sony had nothing about it on their website I'll probalby send them a note just to inform them of the bug. Seems like they should already know about it though.

Glad it fixed the problem.

Friday, April 17, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Brilliant!!

My Vaio Media Center nows plays sound with ITV Player.

I also removed "audio filter" from the startup folder so that I did not have the problem each time I rebooted.

Many thanks to shinerpod.

Cheers

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:06 AM
  • HI I got almost the same configuration and the same problem. I Already did uninstall and re-install silverlght 2.0 but still have the problem. My system is completly update. I can play any can of videos. even Blue-ra. But nothing with silverlight Any response?

Monday, May 25, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I also have this problem, but I'm not using a Sony computer.

The problem started for me when I upgraded to Windows 7.  I did not have the problem under Vista Ultimate x64 with the same hardware.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:57 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and have tried everything suggested in this thread with no success. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling both Silverlight and the Auzentech drivers to no avail.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1, Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 w/ latest drivers. Latest Silverlight from silverlight.net. This is a home-brew system, so this issue is NOT a Sony issue as someone suggested.

The sound skipping issues occur in all Silverlight sites, but this is really bothering me since it's not letting me watch Netflix movies, so I feel like I'm paying for a service but the Silverlight software is preventing me from using it. Other things (Flash video players, Windows Media, Quicktime, iTunes, etc) work fine and the sound come out great - it's just Silverlight that has issues.

I am having the same problem with the same sound card. Only difference is I am running Vista x64 SP1. Haven't been able to find a solution yet.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Shinerpod you are a genius !!!!! I have spent more time than I care to mention on this and your little tweak proves perfect. F...ng Sony and all their proprietory software !!!

Many thanks

Fraz

Aha! This has been a huge headache for me also. I have a Sony Vaio desktop and am getting the same audio results as you all. I finally figured out my problem and hopefully this can help all of you with Vaios. I removed Sonic Stage Audio Filter and refreshed the webpage and lo and behold the angel choir sang loud and clear. Give it a try if you have sonic stage, which doesn't do anything extraordinary anyway. Hours and hours of time spent on this and I can finally watch my netflix videos...

Hope this helps

Good luck all!

Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:18 AM
  •  Well well well it seems we all have the sam problem, I have it with silverlight 3.0.4, I wonder if it would have anything to do with the security center, since I have the zune player that also uses silverlight installed on my pc (and it works fine).

The auzentech card is probably not at fault since I have an asus Xonar D2 and the problem...

Let's keep on searching!

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 12:42 AM
  •  Also having this issue, but not with any Sony product - so the solution you found here isn't any help to me.

I've started a separate thread here: http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/134558.aspx

Any assistance is appreciated.

ryanbjorn

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:39 PM
  • HOW DO YOU TEST THE SOUND?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:48 PM