none
Silverlight videos won't play

Question

• I have Windows 7, IE8, and Silverlight 4 installed.  The plugin is installed and enabled.  When I click on a video clip from the Bing page the clip won't play.  If I right click on the black playbacl window I get "Silverlight" and can select it.  It brings up a window with a few tabs, but nothing I can do to enable the videos to play back.  I tried it with the Norton AV disabled and get the same thing.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hi JhonTrig...,

Do you mean the videos from Bing?   I tested it and it works.  Would you please share us your test case?  Thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:53 AM
  • I am having the same problem using my ideapad sometimes i get errors saying resolution problem but some videos are working except for the silverlight vids. I have win7.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Hi Misschique,

Would you please share the link with the video which raise the exception?

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:52 PM
  • I am having the same issue.  Here is an example:

I go to http://www.microsoft.com/design/toolbox/tutorials/windows-phone-7/photoshop/, click on the first "watch video" link (for Overview Of Photoshop Templates), the silverlight popup comes up but it just spins and never plays.  I can click the play button but it just does nothing.

Checking my network I can see that no video is being downloaded.  Using the developers tools and capturing the Network output, I can see that it is attempting to load http://wm.microsoft.com/ms/design/toolbox/windows-phone-7/05/01_overview_of_ps_templates.wmv but it tries for a short while and then gets an aborted error.

I'm using Win7 Home Premuim 64-bit SP1 and IE9.  However, I do have the same problem with all the learning videos at work as well using XP and IE8.

Sunday, May 01, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Hi Xplode22,

I got reproduced this with the latest Silverlight.  However, other videos on other websites work on my side. Would you  please submit it to MS Connect?

Best regards,

Jonathan

Sunday, May 01, 2011 11:52 PM
  • I'm having the same problem (I'm running Wndows 7, 64-bit, IE 8), except my example is trying to view the Silverlight produced videos on the Office Blog website. The only videos I cannot see (meaning I see a black square, if I right-click, I see "Silverlight" otherwise, nothing.) are videos that were made with Silverlight.

I've unistalled SL & reinstalled it - no luck. It's frustrating. What is the fix for this? BTW, I have the same trouble on another computer: running Windows 7, 32 bit, IE 8.

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Regina

Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:24 AM
  • I 'upgraded' to IE9 last night, and now I cannot view any of the Videos on Channel9.

I know that MS wants us to move away from Silverlight and onto HTML5, but this is ridiculous.  Still works in Firefox though. 

Way to go Microsoft !

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:07 PM
  • I don't know if this is a solution...but it worked for me. 

I cleared out the TEMP files > restarted > Uninstalled Silverlight > restarted > I [mistakenly] went to Silverlight 4 launch & downloaded SL. I didn't now it was a mistake until I went to a site with SL video & I had a dialog box said  I had the message that I needed to update SL. I clicked the Install now button & SL updated. Since then, no problems.

I think that clearing the TEMP files helped to clear some type of conflict. I'm happy it seemed to work.

Regina

I'll keep you posted.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:05 PM
  • One more update:

SL is going strong working just like it's supposed to. Smile Just one more thing, though. Whenever I go to a website that has SL videos (Office Blog, for example) I do have to Refresh the page so that SL videos will [load?] play. Otherwise, the videos look black.

Regina 

Smile

Friday, June 24, 2011 7:54 PM