none
What's the best way to start ?

Question

• Hi,

I've been doing .net development for about 5 years and I'm really interested in Silverlight. I'd like to have a play around but I don't want to install the wrong products and can't find out how long they will work for.

I currently use visual web developer 2005 express on vista.

I understand that i need blend 2.0 which is currently a CTP, does anyone know how long this will work before the trial ends ? Same goes for Orcas, if I install it now and then it stops working in a couple of months am I going to be able to just go back to VWD 2005 without any problems ?

Oh, and are there any books available yet? I want to learn about XAML and LINQ and stuff like that but I looked on Amazon and could only see books on WFP, but that's not quite the same.

Very confused,

Jon 

Monday, July 02, 2007 8:21 AM

Answers

• Jon,

I'd recommend installing the Blend 2 preview to manipulate the XAML.  If you are wanting to play around with the .NET programming, then the ideal situation is to use Visual Studio 2008 Beta 1.  If that scares you a bit because you have VS2005 installed, you can still use VS2005, but you just won't get intellisense in a lot of areas where you'd want it and you may have to do some small workarounds to program elements on the canvas...not a big deal, but definitely better in VS2008.  Personally, I have VS2005 and have been doing fine (mostly because i've been doing a lot of v1 stuff anyway).

As to the blend preview -- visit the microsoft.com/expression site and there is a 180-day trial...should be enough time to get you started!

books: i haven't seen any on silverlight specifically yet, but look at the forums for examples, the quickstarts, nibblestutorials.net as another site and others...but come back to the forums often and ask questions!

Monday, July 02, 2007 7:34 PM

All replies

• Jon,

I'd recommend installing the Blend 2 preview to manipulate the XAML.  If you are wanting to play around with the .NET programming, then the ideal situation is to use Visual Studio 2008 Beta 1.  If that scares you a bit because you have VS2005 installed, you can still use VS2005, but you just won't get intellisense in a lot of areas where you'd want it and you may have to do some small workarounds to program elements on the canvas...not a big deal, but definitely better in VS2008.  Personally, I have VS2005 and have been doing fine (mostly because i've been doing a lot of v1 stuff anyway).

As to the blend preview -- visit the microsoft.com/expression site and there is a 180-day trial...should be enough time to get you started!

books: i haven't seen any on silverlight specifically yet, but look at the forums for examples, the quickstarts, nibblestutorials.net as another site and others...but come back to the forums often and ask questions!

Monday, July 02, 2007 7:34 PM
  •  Thanks, that's really useful.

If the worst comes to the worst and VS2008 screws things up when the trial ends I will just install what I've got from scratch. 

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:24 AM
  • OK, so the first thing I tried to do was install the .net Framework 3.5 on my vista machine.

It downloaded the setup file fine. I ran it and it started downloading 119MB of file, got about 30MB in and juts game me an error message and told me it was removing any files it had put on my PC.

Without any more info on what actually went wrong I can't see a solution to this really, so I guess I'm going to have to give up ?

Jon

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:45 AM
  • .net 3.5 is not required for silverlight development.  now if you install vs2008 it is installed as a part of that, but silverlight itself does not depend on the .net framework 

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:52 PM
  •  OK, so I spent about 10 hours downloading the Orcas Beta, about 15 minutes unpacking it, and about 10 minutes into installation I get this error...

It's not going well really :( 

Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:50 AM
  • Oh and I love the advert in the background when you're inatalling Orcas telling you how cool ASP.NET 2.0 is. Microsoft can't even keep up with themselves! 

Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:51 AM