none
Pivot View on Mac

Question

• I'm building a silverlight pivot application that pulls employee information from LDAP and our internal community.  The sample works fantastic on Windows, but on a mac the images refuse to load, although you can see image borders as you move your mouse around.  Screenshots below.

I've tried two different methods of generating the images - first using a custom written component based on the PivotJIT sample and then secondly (and currently) using the Pivot Collection Tools library  (for disclosure I have made two modifications to the source code of PAuthorLib - one to work around issue #15 on codeplex and another to access images on websites requiring Network Credentials).

Any idea why images aren't displaying on a mac?  I've heard of this happening to 3 separate people on macs so I assume this is either a problem with my collection generating code, the pivot collection tools library or the pivot view control.

Mac

p.c. (other user images show under the red box, but I've scrubbed them out for privacy)

Saturday, July 17, 2010 2:57 AM

Answers

• Further investigation suggests that the problem was caused by the collection being protected by Basic Authentication.

The Pivot Viewer control when run on a mac was able to download the CXML file but it was not able to download the images.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• I've tried loading a few collections on my mac just to see the technology work (it did).  I didn't push it very hard though -- just browsed some of the publicly available proof of concept ones.

Monday, July 19, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Further investigation suggests that the problem was caused by the collection being protected by Basic Authentication.

The Pivot Viewer control when run on a mac was able to download the CXML file but it was not able to download the images.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi afscrome,

I am having a similar experience. On windows my collections work perfectly but on the mac no images are displayed at all. The image placeholders are shown if you mouseover them.

My collection is publicly available, so I don't think that removing Basic Authentication is not the fix for me.

The collection is hosted in Azure and I am using the Silverlight Pivot Viewer version 1.0.6079.0.

The url is www.pivotengine.com/facebook. It does require logging in to facebook to retrieve the source images but then the pivot collection is dynamically generated and served up from our server (so that should rule out any facebook authenication issues).

Any thoughts or suggestions you have on this issue would be hugely appreciated!

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:06 AM
  • to isolate the problem try to load one of microsofts publicly available sample collections like the dogs collection
    to determine if you have a platform or specific collection problem

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:07 AM
  • I found the problem being that one or two of my items in the dynamically generated dzi file had a blank Source value. Filling in the blank value (even pointing to a non existent dzi file) solved this issue.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:49 AM