none
Netflix Silverlight crash

General discussion

• Hi all, I did a search for this, but all I could pull up was issues with mac. 

In the past weeks my wife has been able to use netflix on her account on our pc, but my admin side hasn't. I've tried FF, Chrome, Safari, IE8 (32,64). nothing has been able to even get to the buffering phase. It always hangs up, crashes.

Today i did the big dive and just reinstalled win7 pro 64 again, still no go.

I can uninstall reinstall, but that hasn't worked the last dozen times. Even going back to past versions has also failed.

Thanks!

Sean

Saturday, September 11, 2010 6:47 PM

All replies

• I've been using Netflix for quite some time. Today, I experienced the same crash as you've stated. I've been always using Firefox 3 with my Windows 7 (64-bit) OS. Even here on the Silverlight site the plugin crashed.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Right now I've been trying to find out if my RAM is the issue, but after swapping 2 2gig sticks out after the first pair, the problem still persists.  :/

sadly silverlight works just fine on my wife's 6 yr old toshiba laptop. That thing typically can't even open a web browser.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:09 PM
  • After uninstalling and re-installing Silverlight, I no longer get the plugin crashed screen. Now, I get another error from Netflix and a blank box where the Silverlight plugin section would be on the main page of this site.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:14 PM
  • I uninstalled Silverlight. I went to the Netflix site again and it told me I needed to install Silverlight to view movies. I used their link to download and install Silverlight. I am now able to watch movies again. Very strange.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hi,

I think it because the siverlight version netflix used didn't match the version you installed. Please right click on the video in netfilx choose silverlight to check the version it used. Then find corresponding silverlight download on silverlight website.

Best Regards, 

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:34 AM
  • thanks for the tip, sadly the version of silverlight I've gone with the past who knows how many trials, has been from the link from netflix.  All I can figure at this point is that I have a rogue transistor somewhere that went on vacation.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:58 PM
  • While you read this keep in mind that I talked to Netflix who directed me to a Microsoft help number. They were absolutely useless.

After trying every combination of uninstalling, reinstalling etc. here is what worked for me:

Uninstall Silverlight, Firefox and IE9 (if you are using IE9). Silverlight and Firefox can be uninstalled from the Control Panel found under the the Start Menu. Once you are in the Control Panel click the Programs and Features button, select Silverlight and Firefox and then uninstall.

Uninstalling IE9 is not the same as uninstalling IE8. Do this:

Press that stupid little windows button + R at the same time. The windows button is the one that sits right next the Ctrl button and then paste in the following:
    C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{d450a8a1-9568-45c7-9c0e-b4f9fb4537bd}
    then press Enter.

• wait for the Uninstall an update screen to load completely
  • scroll through the list until you find Windows Internet Explorer 9
  • click once to highlight IE9, then click the Uninstall button (or right-click and uninstall)
  • confirm that you want to uninstall (click yes)

By uninstalling IE9, Windows will basically revert back to a fresh install of IE8. If you are using IE8, I would uninstall it and then reinstall it using another browser just so that it resets everything.

Note: After I uninstalled IE9, Firefox, and Silverlight I did a "clean your disks" using Norton Utilities, but I'm not sure if this is really necessary or not.

Ok, so now that you have a fresh IE8 installed, use IE8 to go to Netflix and try to watch a movie, at which point Netflix will prompt you to download Silverlight. Do it, and your movie should work.

Note: I think the whole problem here is that either Windows or the browser(s) hang on to traces of the Silverlight plugin even when you uninstall it, so you have to uninstall the browser(s) and Silverlight so that essentially everything gets reset.

Good luck, it was hell for me. 

Friday, May 20, 2011 10:28 PM
  • I had the exact same issue along with Google links redirecting me.  I downloaded ComboFix from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com  Ran that and now all is well.  I'm watching a Netflix movie right now and Google links are getting redirected anymore.

J.R.

Sunday, June 05, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Yes. I had already known I had malware on my computer but I've played hell trying to get rid of it. You sir, have reminded me of Malwarebytes. As for Antivirus... Well lets just say that ESET sucks and I'm never using it again.

Friday, July 08, 2011 4:52 AM
  • I run IE64bit for everything except Netflix-close browser and switch to 32 bit and watch movies.

Happy Mothers day

Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:02 AM