none
How to Create Silverlight Streaming Video out of Screencast using Windows Media Encoder?

Question

• I think this will be the first question I have myself. I haven't used the Silverlight Streaming facility (hosting on live.com) yet. But what I did was the following.

1: Download Windows Media Encoder. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en

2: Installation of Windows Media Encoder. (No changes in configuration).

3: Capture a screencast using Windows Media Encoder (saving to file), I made a screencast of specific portion of my screen with the strange dimension of 281×563 pixels.

4: Play it using Windows Media Player (everything fine).

5: Upload the video using my newly create account for Live Streaming. (Tried it with Checkbox checked and unchecked as well)

6: Try to  watch the newly created movie through Live Streaming. A strange error occurred, and nothing is played.

I don't have the exact error message right now. But it was yesterday evening. I tried uploading it to Google Picasa and everything went fine. It's a very small video not even 1MiB.

Am I doing something wrong? Or did I have to change a setting inside Windows Media Encode to enable it for Silverlight? Please tell me which one I need to change.

[edited by: MarkMonster at 2:56 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Mar 06 2009] Edit: The Error message at the moment of viewing is the following:
    ---------------------------
    Windows Internet Explorer
    Unable to load media 'http://msbluelight-0.agappdom.net/e1/d/93500/19680471.4/63372067200/0.mlf_q8gPOKVdbu9eLfQhSDb-r4I/video.wmv'.
    OK

Friday, March 06, 2009 5:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hey, I've noticed that a few other people are having problems uploading to live lately. I suspect changes to the service for Silverlight 3 later this month.
    Friday, March 06, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hmm, might be. I just downloaded the Trial for Expression Encoder. Let's see if that helps.
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Strange, I tried to encode my video. And yes it's kind of working. But it's not really nice at all. Does anyone know good settings for use with screencasts? I don't like the flickering, trailing of my cursor and loosing parts of the screen.

After encoding in Microsoft Expression Encoder

Original file (300kb)

I hope someone know what's causing me troubles.
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Yeah, that's nasty. :P Does it have a settings or preferences area -- a quality setting that determines the frame rate? Also look for similar settings when using the Save As file dialog.

Hey, you could always use Camtasia. Every screen cast on this site was done using it -- well, most of them. I know Pimpin' Tim Heuer, and J-fresh-Liberty use it.
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Using Camtasia was the solution. Just have a look at my blog post. It's about Compact Framework I know, but it's basically about this interesting movie.

I only hope there are other products that I do not have to buy to make Screencast for Silverlight. I know there are different solutions for recording screencasts but I want to use free solutions if possible.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:05 AM