none
Silverlight Tower Defense Games

Question

• I have been working on a Tower Defense game. It looks workable and I can start getting users on it. http://www.tagpi.com/games/BucoValley.aspx

Send me some feedback, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also, if you can think of some optimization I can apply, I know it works great on high-end processors but I tried it on my old AMD dual core and felt a little lag

Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:49 PM

Answers

•  Thanks for the comments guys! I adjusted the difficulty and added tutorial bubbles.  

Oh, I hope you don't mind, I also added your names to the credits. 

Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:09 PM

All replies

• Graphics are very nice! Playability: well, the creatures just fly with very high speed to their destination. Before I can place an object to hit the creatures, the game is over.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:27 PM
  • The graphics are nice, but like drnomad mentioned you need to work on simplifying the gameplay.  It would be nice to create some bubbles to show the player what to do or a tutorial.  You can't really see the "path" the minions are taking as well.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:50 PM
  •  Thanks for the comments guys! I adjusted the difficulty and added tutorial bubbles.  

Oh, I hope you don't mind, I also added your names to the credits. 

Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Hi, I think there's something wrong with the framerate in your gameloop, are you basing it on real time? See the following video: http://www.jark.nl/screen.avi Unless you designed the game for super fast clickers with an ultimate gaming mouse i'm guessing it should be slower. I'm on a Quad Core 9450 with a Ati hd 4800 and 4 gig of ram. Jark
    Friday, March 05, 2010 11:48 AM
  •  Hi Jark, that's a very good catch, thanks a lot!  I think this is what drnomad was talking about but I misinterpreted it as the difficulty. You are correct it is running much faster on your environment and I am not sure why since I cannot replicate it. It runs at normal speed on the following settings:

1. i7 920, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 6Gb RAM, Windows XP 64-bit, .NET 3.5, Silverlight 3, IE6/Firefox 3.5.8

2.  AMD  Dual Core 2200Mhz, RADEON X600, 4Gb RAM, Windows XP 32-bit, .NET 3.5, Silverlight 3, IE6/Firefox

3. Quad Core (not sure which one), 4Gb RAM, Windows 7, .NET 3.5, Silverlight 3

Would you be able to provide me the Windows version, .NET version, Silverlight version and browser?

If anyone has experienced this before, please help.  This is driving me insane!  Crying

Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

Same effect on chrome, firefox and ie (all latest versions). Silverlight version is 3.0.50106.

OS is windows 7, i do have silverlight 4 installed but not the plugin (installed with vs2010).

I'm willing to debug your application if you can post your source or a small part of it.

Jark

Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Hey, Just tried out your game again, and the speeds seems to be normal now. Although you probably didn't intended for the overpowered tower :) Jark
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hello Jark,

I figured out the speed issue. I was using decimals and when it read it on your culture it was coming as whole values.

Yeah, that overpowered tower was due to testing the modified decimals. That's actually embarassing, hehehe. I though I fixed that twice last night. But considering I was very tired trying to figure out the speed issue all day and it was very late (uhh, thinking of more reasons), well you get the point Stick out tongue

Thanks for your help sir! That's actually quite a relief.

So my lesson for the day! 

*** DO NOT STORE DECIMALS! ***

Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:33 AM