none
Is the printing just printing a bitmap?

Question

• So has anyone seen how the printing works?  Does it just make a humongous bitmap of the screen and send that to the printer?  Or does it really just send the instructions to print elements to reduce output stream size?

Monday, November 23, 2009 9:21 AM

All replies

• So has anyone seen how the printing works?  Does it just make a humongous bitmap of the screen and send that to the printer?  Or does it really just send the instructions to print elements to reduce output stream size?

It was mentioned that SL4 printing is bitmap-based.  It doesn't do a screen dump, because you need to add elements to a "printer view" object.  I believe it construct a bitmap (maybe of different resolutions?) of whatever you want to print (could be different from screen) and send to printer.

I could be mistaken about this though, and I haven't tried it myself.  Karen Corby's "What's New" has a demo of this feature including actual code.

Monday, November 23, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I believe it is bitmap based. I tested the print functionality on an image.  The image file size was less than 1MB and the print size was 117MB.

http://www.silverlighttoys.com/Samples/SL4/ShaderSandbox/

Monday, November 23, 2009 11:14 AM
  • The size depends more on the print page size, resolution and color depth, so for example, printing to a 10 inch by 10 inch page at 300 dpi at 24 bit color would generate a print size of 10x10x300x300X3 =27,000,000 bytes

Tom

Monday, November 23, 2009 12:42 PM
  • YOW!!

better set our rendering to like 8bit per pixel for most printing... in color.

and 1bpp for black on white - 1 page will be over a meg for mono.

9 megs for 8 bit color.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:50 PM