none
your operating system does not support the 64-bit setup of silverlight

General discussion

• I get this message every time I try to install silverlight 5, and there are no solutions offered. My system meets all the stated requirements, so I am baffled. Netflix won't run without silverlight. I need help. Any suggestions?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:33 PM

All replies

• Check below link there is Silverlight 5 Runtime available for  64 Bit.

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads

Friday, December 23, 2011 11:39 AM
  • I also get the same error message when trying to install Silverlight and Silverlight Developer Runtime for Windows 64-Bit as suggested.  I am running Vista Home Premium from a fresh re-format re-install with all the latests updates.  Therefore I can not watch Netflix on this computer either.

Friday, December 23, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Check below link there is Silverlight 5 Runtime available for  64 Bit.

The above link does not help. What is needed is a link to a 32-bit version if there is one. The error mesage occurs when a 32-bit OS is running on a 64-bit PC. The Silverlight 5 download web page selects the 64-bit version on the 32-bit OS. No option is given to override the default selection.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

I think oncauser is right. The cause is that you are trying to install 64-bit silverlight runtime on a 32-bit operation system.

To solve this, please install 32-bit silverlight runtime from below link.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229320

Best Regards,

Monday, December 26, 2011 2:33 AM
  • I have the same issue. Im using Vista Home Premium x64. The 32 bit version works but I get the same error with the x64 version.

The silverlight plugin site and Netflix defaults to the x64 download. I don't understand the issue. Im trying to install the x64 version on a 32 bit OS that is 64 bit?

Computer Properties Screenshot and Silverlight Error

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Sinxar, your not using Vista Home Premium x64. You are using Vista Home Premium (without the x64 in the title), which is a 32-bit OS, which the same OS that I use. Your problem is identical to mine. 64-bit software will not work on a 32-bit OS. The hardware capability does not matter.

Monday, December 26, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Thank You, Shi Ding. Your link is the solution for this issue.

BTW, which version of Silverlight does it install?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229320

Monday, December 26, 2011 1:44 PM
  • BTW, which version of Silverlight does it install?

It's Silverlight runtime 32-bit.

You can also find this link on below site (End-User Runtime for Windows (32 bit) )

Best Regards,

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Sinxar, your not using Vista Home Premium x64. You are using Vista Home Premium (without the x64 in the title), which is a 32-bit OS, which the same OS that I use. Your problem is identical to mine. 64-bit software will not work on a 32-bit OS. The hardware capability does not matter.

I'm sorry I still don't understand. so there are 3 versions of Vista Home Premium? Vista Home Premium - Vista Home Premium (x64 without it in the title) and Vista Home Premium x64.

Can somebody who knows what they are talking about clear this up? I installed from the x64 disc but its only 32 bit? my 32 bit disc install only sees 3GB of RAM and says its a 32 bit OS. When installing from the 64 bit It sees all the RAM, and even says its 64 bit and my x64 apps run just fine, except for Silverlight that won't install (but did in the past).

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:47 AM
  • This installation error (also?) occurs on my 64 bit Vista Home Premium.

I am attempting to update from version 4 to version 5.  In my case, the update link and download were generated when attempting to update plugins on the Firefox v 8 plugin page.  I activated a plugin update check, Firefox indicated the Silverlight plugin needed updating.  I selected the provided link, which pointed to the setup file "Silverlightx64.exe".  , apparently version 5.0.61118.0

When I activate the installation, it erroneously indicates my system is NOT compatible with 64 bit software.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:24 PM

I'm sorry I still don't understand. so there are 3 versions of Vista Home Premium? Vista Home Premium - Vista Home Premium (x64 without it in the title) and Vista Home Premium x64.

Can somebody who knows what they are talking about clear this up? I installed from the x64 disc but its only 32 bit? my 32 bit disc install only sees 3GB of RAM and says its a 32 bit OS. When installing from the 64 bit It sees all the RAM, and even says its 64 bit and my x64 apps run just fine, except for Silverlight that won't install (but did in the past).

YOU ARE correct, while many of the answers provided are NOT correct.  The Silverlightx64 installation file has an error.  It will NOT install on my x64 version of Vista Home Premium, and I get the same error you are getting. 

I plan on attempting to install the same file on a 64 bit version of Windows 7.  I suspect the installation file will not have a problem with Win 7 64bit, only Vista 64 bit.

For those of you who are saying you can't access Netflix, apparently you've uninstalled the previous version, or you've never installed Silverlight.  If you uninstalled the previous, before attempting to install the Silverlightx64.exe file, you may be able to Restore your system.  Otherwise

According to (at least) one post, it seems the 32 bit version will install and function on a 64 bit version of Vista.

That's probably a functional HACK, but it certainly is LAME on part of Microsoft, to have released a version without testing to see if it would INSTALL.  The release date on this file is 11/18/2011.  This file is FOURTY days old and Micro$Crap$ hasn't fixed this yet??

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I AM using Vista Home Premium 64bit, don't tell me otherwise. I've had this computer for years, this error is not a result of user ignorance. I've previously had Silverlight 64 installed but I was having issues with netflix so I decided to reinstall silverlight to see if it would help at all and with the current version available from netflix and microsoft it bugs out giving me this error message. I had to resort to installing the 32 bit version, which is not a "hack," as most 32 bit programs can run perfectly fine on a 64 bit OS - which again I do have. It's on MS's end, not on our ignorance of what OS we have. . .

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:30 PM
  • for vista x64 try this:

download "Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime for Windows (64 bit)" from ms silverlight download page

extract downloaded file with 7zip

in extracted files folder, extract silverlight.7z and run created silverlight.msp

now silverlight works also in IE9 64-bit

( 32bit version of silverlight was not uninstalled befor, also not after)

Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Installing from the .msp extracted using 7zip worked, thanks for sharing the work around Peter.

Friday, December 30, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Vista is not a supported OS for SL5 64bit. Only Win7 Sp1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Friday, January 06, 2012 7:43 AM
  • But why?  Win7 64bit is based on the same code source as Vista x64.

This is yet another example of complete incompetence from Microsoft.  Microsoft really are becoming a "joke" as far as a viable development platform.  I honestly have to wonder why I paid $11,800 for my MSDN Ultimate subscription ... time will come when developers and development houses start to sue Microsoft for complete incompetence and win their case!

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:40 AM
  • This is a bunch of crap.  MICROSOFT:  if you make 64 bit Silverlight 5 incompatible with Vista64 (the so called premium software packages), then why do you constantly have this program ask to upgrade to it?  I keep getting notices that my Silverlight 4 is outdated and needs to replaced.  Then your services only offers me the incompatible version.

It's a freaking never ending circle.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Does not work with mine either these goddam clowns!!

Im using windows xp x64 edition and only came here as skygo has stopped working

"The above link does not help. What is needed is a link to a 32-bit version if there is one. The error mesage occurs when a 32-bit OS is running on a 64-bit PC. The Silverlight 5 download web page selects the 64-bit version on the 32-bit OS. No option is given to override the default selection."

this message is aload of crap.... Don't you think I woul of already tried this if we could please stp insulting our intellegence...

So now wht??

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:04 PM
  • You think Silverlight 5 was rushed out the door, try Visual Studio 11 latest build ... OMG, Microsoft must have completely given up on "ANY" testing at all ... and if you thought VS 2010 was slow, VS 11 is even worse!!

Sadly we'll not see any new updates for SL5 as the boat is now moving HTML5 (like it or not).

Like I said in other posts, I'm done with developing Microsoft applications -- my SL5 apps are it, end of the line with their incredibly poor development tools and platforms.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:21 PM
  • for vista x64 try this:

download "Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime for Windows (64 bit)" from ms silverlight download page

in extracted files folder, extract silverlight.7z and run created silverlight.msp

now silverlight works also in IE9 64-bit

( 32bit version of silverlight was not uninstalled befor, also not after)

Thanks very much!!!. Whereas indeed the final solution is installing through the extracted msi and msp files from the downloaded End-User Runtime for Windows (64 bit) (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229321 "Silverlight_x64.exe").

The aforementioned windows installer files are "silverlight.msi" and "Silverlight.msp" which you can find in "Silverlight_x64.exe" by using 7-Zip.

So you do not have to resort to the Developer Runtime for Windows (64 bit) but can do a clean End-User Runtime for Windows (64 bit) installation.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:26 AM
  • 2 years later, this just saved my life! Thank you SO MUCH
    Friday, May 31, 2013 11:09 PM
  • thanks shi
    Monday, August 05, 2013 1:27 PM
  • This worked perfectly. extracted the silverlight_x64.exe, then extracted the silverlight zip file that came out of the exe, ran the .msi file and .msp file and now silverlight works fine. i was having the same issue as everyone else, running 64 bit version of vista and silverlight x64 said it was not compatible with my OS. oddly enough it even says its compatible with vista 64 under system requirements. as someone previously stated, they must not have checked to see if it would actually install, and they sure as hell still arent checking since this problem has obviously been going on since 2011
    Monday, August 12, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Yep, it is now October of 2013 and this issue is still not resolved.
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:18 AM
  • This worked for me :) Had the same issue. Thanks!
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:32 PM
  • This is going to sound stupid, but please explain how to do this. I have no idea what you're talking about!
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Thanks Shi Ding...this worked for me!
    Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:32 PM
  • NO. I just reloaded my OS fresh from the boot partition that came with the computer. It IS 64 bit, yet 64 bit Silverlight won't load. I just checked to make sure something odd didn't happen during the reload and my system says Vista Home Premium 64-bit. This is ridiculous.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:46 AM
  • I'm in the same boat as Sinxar and I'm here to tell you the HELL I'm not using a x64 bit version of Vista Home Premium. Try getting another one past me.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:48 AM
  • "for vista x64 try this:

in extracted files folder, extract silverlight.7z and run created silverlight.msp"

Thank you so much, Peter! Worked for me! Googlers: Make sure the "silverlight.msp" file is extracted into the same folder as all the other files within the .exe -- NOT in its own new folder.

Monday, May 05, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Confirmed, this works for me as well, I'm also using Vista Home Premium x64 because my laptop is old as hell. Can't believe I'm resorting to a functional hack to watch Netflix, but so be it. Instructions for those Googlers who aren't necessarily computer-literate:

1. Download the Silverlight_x64.exe that Netflix (or whatever program you're using) prompts you to.

2. Download 7-Zip (google it and download the 64-bit .msi version) and install it

3. In the Downloads folder where the Silverlight exe was placed, right-click it and use the 7-Zip menu dropdowns to Extract to "Silverlight_x64\". This will create a Silverlight_x64 folder that the files are extracted to.

4. In the newly created folder, right-click the silverlight.7z file and Extract Files... Specify the location for the extracted files to be the same folder you're currently in - don't let it create a new sub-folder.

5. Run the silverlight.msi file by double-clicking it. It's the 37KB file in case you've got your desktop settings configured to hide file extensions. You'll get some Windows Installer screens. There won't be any confirmation that the install was completed.

6. Run the Silverlight.msp file by double-clicking it. It's the 52054KB file in case you've got your desktop settings configured to hide file extensions. You'll get some Windows Installer screens. There won't be any confirmation that the install was completed.

7. Suddenly Netflix will start working on its own. Amazing!

Thanks again to Peter for submitting this fix back in 2011.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:59 AM
  • This may be true But I Know for a fact I am using 64 bit os and have the same issue. 

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:06 PM