none
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem

Question

• i am making an application using Silverlight. In that application on button click i am calling a web service method(Web Service is deployed on IIS). i am getting error as 

Message:AuthenticateUser_CheckUserAuthorizationCompleted : [Async_ExceptionOccurred]
    Arguments:
    Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=5.0.61118.00&File=System.dll&Key=Async_ExceptionOccurred
    at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary()
    at mVisumOBConsole.AuthenticateUser.CheckUserAuthorizationCompletedEventArgs.get_Result()
    at mVisumOBConsole.LogIn.AuthenticateUser_CheckUserAuthorizationCompleted(Object sender, CheckUserAuthorizationCompletedEventArgs e)

Where `AuthenticateUser_CheckUserAuthorizationCompleted` is the event from which i am calling the web method. I also checked the error in Fiddler tool and it shows
    `ErrorCode: 10060.A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.130:80`. I am not getting what is the issue.
    Please help me.Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:23 AM

Answers

• You may try to use fiddler or enable WCF tracing to find more information. Here is the tutorial on WCF tracing. And please make sure the service is running on the right server.

You may take a look at the threads below and check if they can help you:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightwcf/thread/1dd8b176-6a6b-4728-9a35-193c906aa8da//1 (which include a link on how to publish a web service in a web server)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8291057/messagexmlprotocolerror-arguments-debugging-resource-strings-are-unavailable-o

OR

Deploying Silverlight 4 applications with WCF RIA Services can be really a nightmare! But here is solution!

Setup your server (e.g. MS Windows Server 2008 R2, IIS7) for Silverlight 4 and WCF RIA Services:

1) Download and install the .NET 4 Framework Web Platform Installer. Use the installer to install the .NET 4 Framework. Reboot the server after this completes.

2) Download WCF RIA Services to your local machine (e.g. c:\temp). Open up a command window (I used "Run as Administrator"). Go to the folder with the MSI file (e.g. c:\temp) and type the following command to launch the install of WCF RIA Services:

msiexec /i RiaServices.msi SERVER=TRUE

3) To remove anoying error [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer] do the following: go to the command prompt, open the Microsoft.NET\Framework64 folder (e.g. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319) and execute the following commands:

servicemodelreg -ia
    aspnet_regiis
    -i
    iisreset

This corrects the installation issue and WCF RIA Services works as expected.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:03 PM

All replies

• You may try to use fiddler or enable WCF tracing to find more information. Here is the tutorial on WCF tracing. And please make sure the service is running on the right server.

You may take a look at the threads below and check if they can help you:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightwcf/thread/1dd8b176-6a6b-4728-9a35-193c906aa8da//1 (which include a link on how to publish a web service in a web server)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8291057/messagexmlprotocolerror-arguments-debugging-resource-strings-are-unavailable-o

OR

Deploying Silverlight 4 applications with WCF RIA Services can be really a nightmare! But here is solution!

Setup your server (e.g. MS Windows Server 2008 R2, IIS7) for Silverlight 4 and WCF RIA Services:

1) Download and install the .NET 4 Framework Web Platform Installer. Use the installer to install the .NET 4 Framework. Reboot the server after this completes.

2) Download WCF RIA Services to your local machine (e.g. c:\temp). Open up a command window (I used "Run as Administrator"). Go to the folder with the MSI file (e.g. c:\temp) and type the following command to launch the install of WCF RIA Services:

msiexec /i RiaServices.msi SERVER=TRUE

3) To remove anoying error [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer] do the following: go to the command prompt, open the Microsoft.NET\Framework64 folder (e.g. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319) and execute the following commands:

servicemodelreg -ia
    aspnet_regiis
    -i
    iisreset

This corrects the installation issue and WCF RIA Services works as expected.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:03 PM
  • The answer below is a complete red herring. The error that you are receiving is because some error has occurred on a client machine which does not have the Silverlight developer runtime installed.  So, the error message gets swallowed up and is replaced with a general message that says "Debugging resource strings are unavailable".

I desperately need to find a way to include the debugging resource strings in the Xap package so that client machines can give us decent error messages.

• Proposed as answer by Tomdope Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tomdope Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:49 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 3:13 AM
  • For knowing what exactly the error in that case, you can use tracing option. 

Can someone tell me how to avoid showing the messages on the client machine? I can capture the errors but I don't want to show the message to the user.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:50 PM
  • For knowing what exactly the error in that case, you can use tracing option. 

What does that mean?

Can someone tell me how to avoid showing the messages on the client machine?

Sure. Don't display the error messages.

The question is how can I include the debugging resource strings in the Xap package so that I am able to log reasonable information about what went wrong when an exception occurs.

Friday, August 02, 2013 1:03 AM